ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear fog light indicator illuminating when brake pedal pressed?

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Anyone had this problem?

Just noticed the rear fog light indicator illuminating on my dashboard when I press the brake pedal!

Also, I've noticed that the remote locking button takes a few presses to lock/unlock the car.

Could this be a battery problem??

Checked the wiring to the rear lights?

Im sure my old car done it when I wired the Ph2 lights up wrong

Drivers side rear light cluster, pull it out, clean up all the contacts, sand down any rust, quick blast of WD40, stick all back together and that will sort the light rpoblem out.

Moisture.

Take the rear lights out, Take the clusters out, Remove the bulbs one by one and clean the contacts on the metal pins and the bulbs.

Spray a lot of WD40 on the contacts (this is what fixed it for me not the cleaning contacts)

Soak up extra WD40 but leave a coat on the connectors, Replace the bulbs and clusters.

Fixed mine.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Sorry - should of explained a bit more.

It's nothing to do with the rear lights - it's the indicator on the dashboard that flashes when I press the brake pedal!

The rear lights work fine!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
lol, to the fog light problem!

massivley common problem,
happens with every clio mate.

its the connection between the wire and bulb holder on the rear of the car,
you need to take it off and sand the corrosion off. grease it up and put it back on,

should solve that ptoblem.

as for the othe i have no clue.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Sorry - should of explained a bit more.

It's nothing to do with the rear lights - it's the indicator on the dashboard that flashes when I press the brake pedal!

The rear lights work fine!

lol massive fail on posting time!

it all apears to work fine at the back,
but the terminals short out.

and light up some of the dash lights.

172 Flame Red '53
Hmm I still clean the connections because my reverse light didn't come on when I broke but when I had my hazards on and tail lights it was flashing wrong. And it would still show on dash even if you didn't turn the fog lights on I should think.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
lol my point was saying, it really is going to be the rear cluster connection!
even though it represents itself as something completely irrelevent!

defs give it a try before you assume otherwise!

Audi A4 TDi Sport
same happened to me with the fog light. sounds daft but all i needed to do was change the brake light bulb.

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
I am having this problem, i press my brake pedal and the rear fog light on my dash lights up. It does seem to do it when its damp though, anyone know what i need to do?

I am having this problem, i press my brake pedal and the rear fog light on my dash lights up. It does seem to do it when its damp though, anyone know what i need to do?

Its all been explained above ^
Basically its all down to a dodgy connection between drivers side bulb holder and the wiring connector.

Its all been explained above ^
Basically its all down to a dodgy connection between drivers side bulb holder and the wiring connector.

Not really. You can find the ground wire is loose which comes from the wiring loom down to the chassis from the rear passenger side light. Loose connection, tighten up with a 10mm spanner.

Clio 172mk2
on mine it was the drivers side , rear cluser connection was corroded, wet and dry between the pins then vasaline and reconnect solves problem , usually stays ok for a year maybe more then needs doing again

M3,ST250,Caddy,CBR10
Not really. You can find the ground wire is loose which comes from the wiring loom down to the chassis from the rear passenger side light. Loose connection, tighten up with a 10mm spanner.

That's not always the case, I did that, cleaned the ground up re terminated and still does it, a mixture of both cleaning the contacts and ground wire usually works but mine still doesn't work bang on, bought a new plug, still doesn't work bang on.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
That's not always the case, I did that, cleaned the ground up re terminated and still does it, a mixture of both cleaning the contacts and ground wire usually works but mine still doesn't work bang on, bought a new plug, still doesn't work bang on.

3 Year bump :bump: ???

Renault Clio
***SOLVED***
I've just finally solved this issue..
Now some say it's Earth points but for me it was the Pins that slot in to the rear lights..both sides left and right.
Remove both of your rear lights, remove them by screwing the one plastic knob inside the boot behind the lights.
Once removed look at the back of the lights at the Pins.. look closely as mine were Burnt/Rusted look.. I had to find a very small tool to scratch a new surface in and remove all the burnt look alike bits off it. also look at the slots you plug it in to on the car.. do not adjust the Pins just scrape them to groove a new surface and remove the old bits off.. do this for both sides.. slot one light back in once done if it still persists then double check it's clean... Thank me later.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
the only way I managed to solve it was a tiny blob of solder one each pin, so they make better contact. never had an issue after that

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I cleaned my pins up and didnt solve the issue. I thought main consensus was that its the earth in the boot?