ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Fog dashboard light comes on when braking!

RB FF 182
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been posted before but I'm at work and haven't got time to search!

This has been happening for a couple of days now, and does not happen under light braking (only moderate to hard braking). Sometimes the dash light flickers, other times it fully illuminates.

I haven't been able to check what's going on at the back of the car, but can see peoples faces lighting up behind me when braking so I know that my lights are doing what they should.

Any ideas on what's causing this, and how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Dirty connectors in the rear light unit is the coause. Need to take it off, clean with electrical spray (Maplins sell it) and should be sorted (check the seal is ok, too).

RB FF 182
Cheers mate I'll pick some up tomorrow from hellfrauds on the way to work... Never heard of maplins. Lol

I assume you mean the plugs going in to the lights, and nothing more complicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
Had this on mine.... remove, clean and separate the plugs on the rear light clusters, the blocks are touching each other (Matron), your brake light current is being passed into your foglight circuit...

Got to love the Clio wiring... :)

Civic Type R
I had this, tried the connectors at the back of the lights, but they were perfect turned out to be the earthing connectors behind the lights in the boot, they just needed a clean.

RB FF 182
Gotta love the French! I'll have to have a look at the weekend, it's dark when I go to work and it's dark when I get home at the minute! Thanks guys.

RB FF 182
Cleaned the plugs the best I can. Still happening occasionally though.....

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mk2 Ph2 Clio II 1.6 16v
Common issue, remove both rear lights, clean and dry both connectors and refit.

RB FF 182
Not had time to get electrical cleaner, but just cleaned them with an air thing for computer keyboards. Seems to have sorted it for now!

RB FF 182
This has come back with a vengeance.

Used some contact cleaner and now it's worse!!!

The fogs don't actually come on but the dash light comes on properly now rather than just flickering.

Ideas please??

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
100% bad connection on the rear lights. Other things to try is bend each pin off the wiring loom that connects to the clusters. With this your bending it to make a better connection, flick each of the 'prongs' back up (this worked for me) You'll probably find also if you put your lights on, then put the hazzards on, the sidelights in the rear clusters will dim when the indicators flash. This indicates bad connection/earth faults etc

RB FF 182
100% bad connection on the rear lights. Other things to try is bend each pin off the wiring loom that connects to the clusters. With this your bending it to make a better connection, flick each of the 'prongs' back up (this worked for me) You'll probably find also if you put your lights on, then put the hazzards on, the sidelights in the rear clusters will dim when the indicators flash. This indicates bad connection/earth faults etc

Cheers. I'll check that tomorrow as I'm off work.

Will post pics. Well annoyed, thought I'd sorted it :( lol

R

random172

Thanks to all that contributed in this thread. I've had the same problem and fixed it using this advice.

I tried the earth first ... didn't make any difference, then cleaned up the plugs ... still happened, finally removed, cleaned and refitted all the bulbs and it's fixed!

I thought I'd add a few pics that I decided to take.

DSC01149.gif

DSC01150.gif

DSC01151.gif

DSC01152.gif

DSC01153.gif

DSC01154.gif

rb182 cup
Thanks to all that contributed in this thread. I've had the same problem and fixed it using this advice.

I tried the earth first ... didn't make any difference, then cleaned up the plugs ... still happened, finally removed, cleaned and refitted all the bulbs and it's fixed!

I thought I'd add a few pics that I decided to take.

DSC01149.gif

DSC01150.gif

DSC01151.gif

DSC01152.gif

DSC01153.gif

DSC01154.gif
hiya pal....can you just confirm this...you took all the rear bulbs out,cleaned them & it solved your problem of "when you brake,the fog light symbol on the dash flashed up"

rb182 cup
ooops...didnt mean to click "reply with quote"....but can you confirm it....you cleaned all your rear bulbs & it sorted your problem...when you brake your fog ligh symbol on the dash flashed up

R

random172

yep, that's right. I think it might have been the bottom bulb with the two connections on it not seating properly or gunk on it allowing current to travel back up the "other way" if you see what I mean.

I did the earth first as I saw that mentioned on another thread. Then read this one which mentioned cleaning the plugs as well ... still didn't fix it. finally took all the bulbs out and that sorted it.

rb182 cup
bottom bulbs are the lights/brake lights...mines doin the same...i'll clean them 2moz cos it does my head in...especially in the dark

cheers