ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Exhaust Touching & Banging against newly installed lowering spring - With Pic

Clio 172
Right chaps. So not long ago i installed 40mm lowering springs allround.

Yesterday was the 1st change i got to test drive it, and everything seems ok, ride is nice and low & firm just how i want it for track days.

Problem now is that the rear exhaust box sways to much, and even when still it touches the rear spring. Anybody else had this.

The exhaust bracket is brand new and been on the car approx 10 miles of driving (although still seems poor)

Any ideas about how to stop this happening, has it happened to any of you lot? If so what did you do?

clio%20spring%20touching%20exhaust%20backbox%20silencer.jpg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
You need to fill those cracks in with something mate. I used thick tubing cut in half and that gives you a choice of how much you wish to move it across rather than filling it with something more permanent such as sikaflex/tigerseal. I've got loads of pics in my thread on how I did mine. I'll go dig them out for you now.. might be a while lol

Actually that was easy!

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/daniels-blue-182.749207/page-15#post-10594232

Hope that helps. It's still stiff as fooooook to this day! :)

Clio 172
Where did you get that pipe from and what is it called?

Have nobody like Powerflex ever tried to make a better exhaust mount? They are really sh!t lol.

Clio 172
Is that spring seated properly?
im fairly sure it is yes, it seemed to slot in perfectly and there was nowhere else for it to sit even when the rear axle was hanging loose. I stand corrected if anybody tells me otherwise. I was a little suprised that there was not many other people complaining about this happening, as i assume a 40mm drop is quite common for the 172.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
On my Cooksports the right rear is fitted and the Cooksport writing on them is the correct way round. (as below)
On the left hand side, the spring is fitted the opposite hand, so the Cooksport writing is upside down. (unless its printed wrong, but the writing is definitely upside down)

Does this sound wrong to you guys?
If so I will whip it out when I've got it up and the wheels off at the weekend

Rear spring
IMG_3315.gif

I thought this was so the ends of the spring sat in the little seat, but I don't know if they're handed or not

PH2 172
What exhaust is that, looks very low to the floor
On my Cooksports the right rear is fitted and the Cooksport writing on them is the correct way round. (as below)
On the left hand side, the spring is fitted the opposite hand, so the Cooksport writing is upside down. (unless its printed wrong, but the writing is definitely upside down)

Does this sound wrong to you guys?
If so I will whip it out when I've got it up and the wheels off at the weekend

Rear spring
IMG_3315.gif

I thought this was so the ends of the spring sat in the little seat, but I don't know if they're handed or not

The little (rubber) seats you refer to are all the same part number,hence the spring cannot be fitted upside down,
Equal & opposite forces & all that

PH2 172
Please remind me not to ask for help on here.
It does NOT matter which way up the spring goes as long as it is seated correctly.
The problem is totally the exhaust.To start,is this a phase 1 or 2 172,as the exhausts are different and it looks like the hanger on this silencer has been rewelded.
I`m looking at the photo,and cannot even be sure that the pipe is running over the top of the axle beam and this not some totally botched job?
Prima racing do an uprated mount,but you can beef up a standard one with tigerglue or even bathroom silicon sealent.
There is fore and aft adjustment in the mount by way of the slotted holes.
Is the centre pipe fitted correctly and clamped tight,1 degree out at the cat translates into inches at the back end.You may need to loosen everything off ,realign the system & then retighten the clamps.
The front centre box can also fracture,allowing the back end to flop about,and the centre pipe mount needs to be in good order,and fully bolted up to the shell`s underfloor.
Check this lot out and you will find the problem.