ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear exhaust mount problem

Inferno 182 FF
Right so after reading several threads on here about it and getting the new rear mounts I decided to have ago.
Soaked the bolts several times through the week in wd40 but today one bolt snapped (was a rusted mess of a bolt).
How do I progress from here. :/

​has really annoyed me.

Can you get the other bolts off or are they all the same? If you can then you might be able to grab what's left with some grips or weld a nut to what's left and wind it out. I'd leave welding a nut to it as a last resort though.
Do you have a pic of the snapped bolt?

Inferno 182 FF
All the other bolts are the same. I'm thinking whether to maybe just replace the hangers the mounts sit on with fresh bolts?

I couldn't comment on that as I've not had to replace the mount yet, so I don't know what hanger you're on about but that sounds like the best plan.
Regarding using grips, I can't remember the name of them but there's a set of grips you can get that tighten their grip as you turn them. My dad got a set from a car show ages ago and they're brilliant! The amount of snapped bolts they've got out with ease is untrue. I'll ask him what they are when I speak to him and try to get you a link or something.

Good luck with getting it all off, maybe take a few pics and make a mini guide on doing it by the hanger instead of just the mount for anyone else who is in your position?

Sorry to double post but google super wrench, first link. Brilliant and invaluable bit of kit. If you can find a demo video I think you'll be quite impressed.

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
2 out of 3 of the bolts sheared off when I was taking my rear exhaust mount off to replace the rubber insert with a Powerflex insert. Drilling them out is a possibility.

Inferno 182 FF
What did you do nyall drill them? Do you know the part number for the part the bolts sheered of in?

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
What did you do nyall drill them? Do you know the part number for the part the bolts sheered of in?

Not yet drilled them out. Plan is to drill the bolt, and bore the bolt hole out a few mm, tap it and use new bolts. Obviously I won't be using the standard bolts as they would be to narrow in the bored out holes.

If I manage to drill the bolts out without damaging the threads then I can use the standard bolts, don't have any part numbers for them though.

Also, like Carlv8415 has suggested, drill off any pretruding bolts and weld the mount in place. I have no welding experience so wouldn't feel comfortable taking that job on. Would have to find someone who's handy with a welder.

Clio 197
Another option - leave it in situ, remove the backbox for more access and poweflex it whilst the mount is still attached to the car.....access might be a pain but it would be do able