ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rear discs on clio-182

Hello,

I've a clio 182 cup 2004/5 and the rear discs are AT the wear limit i.e. 7mm. The pads need replacing (<2mm left). The quote from Renault is over ~270 quid to replace the lot and I'm having trouble finding the right discs WITH wheel bearings/ABS ring for <170/pair.... coupled with doubts as the whether they are even the right ones??..... there seems to be so many different references and 44/26 teeth ABS ring choice!?!? mine are 44.

bottom line.... can I just change the pads (already have them) and live with discs <7mm.... they are solid after all ??
any tips as to how I can be sure of ordering the RIGHT discs/bearing on line ??
any good supplier links ??

last question ... what is the torque setting for the wheel bearing, 30mm nut ??

thanks
Wayne

If you become a member you can access the traders area and also see the guides section which will help you out.

OK the best deal & service seems to be from ebay seller....renaultcarparts_com ......only 82 quid for a disc set incl. bearings and ABS rings ... just need to collect & fit..... I hope they fit ;0))

Still on brakes ...... I noticed that you can get drilled and/or grooved discs...... to improve brake performance!! Is that really true/significant??? This clio already has pretty dambed good brakes.... not sure the rubber will stand upto much more stopping power!?!?

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Get oem rear discs, no point in anything else. Drilled discs crack so don't bother with them, better off just getting Brembo HC discs if you're talking about the fronts.

But if you don't mind spending a bit of money Tarox G88 discs were really good on my 172 and look the part.
DSC00026.jpg

...... Finally I have new discs (82quid a set from Dave), new pads, 30mm socket... so I recon I'm ready to goto work this evening...... one last question..... (well two) I always clean the discs with petrol.... not brake or carb cleaner (any comments welcome) and I've never messed about with checking the disc alignment.... most online guides don't even mention this but some do and then say it's critical... which approach is right ????
Personally I just attack the bare hub with a wire brush on a drill until it's shinny clean and then bolt on the new disc... is that so risky ???

Last edited:
Thank you for the comments, I will bear that in mind when/if I ever change the front discs...... the rear ones I have are in a box covered with the words "Group Renault - original parts" so I take that to imply OEM....

Last edited:
OK... it's time to PANIC!
I've got the brake pads & calipre off without any real issues.... and the 30mm hub/bearing/disc nut is off too..... the disc wobbles making me think that the bearing is knackered but the disc aint coming off..... I've tried leaving with a 2ft tyre lever and a 4lb builders hammer but it's not moving..... any help/advice would be very much appreciated ??:eek:
I'am off to the Nurburgring on Friday morning ... so it's kinda URGENT!!:S

Hmmmmm..... so it can be 'ard......... you mean a puller with three big arms to grab the outside of the disc ??
So I've not missed anything then...... and it should come off it I hit it hard enough :banghead:
I'm ~900Km south of Dover so I guess that's a bit far ;)

PANIC over ..... at least on the drivers side;) ..... the time it took me to make the posting allowed the WD40 to do it's work and a subsequent clout with the hammer got it moving..... so old off and new one on ..... I'll do the other side tomorrow... but have already got the WD40 working:cool:.
I noticed that there is a 'key' on the back of the brake pads that NEEDS to be slotted into the brake piston head... never seen that before!
A trick for pushing the piston back in..... when the disc is off (assumes you replacing them!) you can get a tyre lever behind the disc calipre plate to apply leverage to the piston... at the same time, a thin screwdriver can be placed right across the piston head (in the key) and use the screwdriver to turn the piston at the same time as pushing on the tyre lever ..... it worked nicely for me anyway.....:rolleyes:

Answering my own question concerning disc alignment....... in this case, since the discs include the wheel bearings there is nothing you can do to adjust the alignment anyway...... except remove them and reassemble and hope you get a better fit..... So I conclude that it is not something to loose sleep over....:sleepy:

200 Gordini No.159
I had my rear disc's and pads replaced the other day. I got a mate to do it for a tenner but he works at a garage and said they normally charge £40, 20 for the pads and 20 for the discs...

Matt e : 150nm.... then a bit more ..... obviously I can't know if I got to 175nm
what I can say is that one of them came off WITHOUT reaching 150nm !!:eek:
I recon it'll be OK... it not as critical as bolting down a cylinder head... but then again you don't want a wheel going walkabout do you either :eek:

Phate : I had a quote from a Renault main dealer; 300E for discs/bearings/abs ring + pads + fitting, which is a good deal, if you compare with main dealer prices for just the parts but you can get the parts much cheaper and do it yourself for less than half that... as I am!!;)
I got my discs from renaultcarparts_com for 82 quid... direct not through ebay!

2nd disc went on today.... no problems getting the old one off, perhaps due to 24hrs of WD40 or perhaps it was never going to be a problem, who knows.... it's done:clap:
but.....
I went onto try changing the brake fluid and got air into the system:dead:.... it took the whole 500ml bottle + all the old fluid back in to flush out the air..... now I have brakes again but not as good as before I changed the discs/pads.... they seem a bit vague.. like I have to hit the pedal a 2nd time to really slam on the brakes.... is that bedding in OR is there yet more air to flush out ????:mad:

182cup & 172 racecar
As said before, you did put the little washers back on the hub first I hope, so many of these get thrown away with the old discs, it's untrue.

Get them tightened up correctly as well.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
As said before, you did put the little washers back on the hub first I hope, so many of these get thrown away with the old discs, it's untrue.

Get them tightened up correctly as well.

My old rear discs didn't have any spacers fitted :eek:

£7 each from Renault, make sure they're fitted tapered/countersink side to the stub axle, flat side outwards

Clio 182
Hello,

I've a clio 182 2004/5 and the rear discs are terrible! took it too a garage for a quote and he said £440 and that if i shopped about I'd find that was great price! I had at look a threads on here and bought these discs here!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181026477719?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

They cost me £110 and i said to the garage and he says they are too thick and i need thinner ones that are dearer. I'm not sure if this guys just trying rob me or what? can someone please help!!

cheers
Gary

225 Cup & Williams
Hello,

I've a clio 182 2004/5 and the rear discs are terrible! took it too a garage for a quote and he said £440 and that if i shopped about I'd find that was great price! I had at look a threads on here and bought these discs here!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181026477719?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

They cost me £110 and i said to the garage and he says they are too thick and i need thinner ones that are dearer. I'm not sure if this guys just trying rob me or what? can someone please help!!

cheers
Gary

Tell the guy to shut the f**k up he's talking shite. Either fit them yourself or take your car to another garage. Genuine rear discs are the best ones you can get.

Clio 182
I thought that! cheers will get him told! will just take the discs to another garage and get them to fit them!

BG 182
Can recommend Kam Racing near Aylesbury for Clio 182 discs and pads all round. Had Brembo front discs/pads plus OEM rear disks/pads supplied and fitted for just over £300 all in. Rear OEM kit is more expensive than Brembo front.