ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rear brake problem, need help?

renault clio 182 cup
Hello, i have just bought a 182 cup. its just failed its mot on the rear drivers side brake caliper siezed. so i took it home, and had a go myself, im no expert. I freed the caliper off a little but the new pads wouldnt go back in as the piston is too far out. So....i put the old ones back in for the time being. it moves now but still hard to turn. and suggestions?

also while im at it. My brakes in general are a bit weak i think. when i press down hard on the brakes it stops but the abs doesnt even need to interfer. Would this be linking to the caliper?

thankyou for your time.
leon

I just did my rear discs and pads earlier this afernoon! You'll need to rotate the brake piston clockwise to push the piston back. Use a square edged screw driver to do this. The face of the piston has grooves on it on one side and this has to be lined up vertical in line with the bleed valve. This will ensure that the notch on the back on the pad lines up with the recesses on the brake piston. Then put the new pads in the calliper frame. The calliper frame bolts need to be tightened up to 65nm, you'll also need some blue thread locking fluid on these bolts. The main body of the brake in which the piston sits slides on the guide bolts, so slide this back to help with getting the new pads on.

Also the weak braking may mean the pads are glazed. You'll need to re-bed the brakes in again if this is the case.