ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rear bearings failing

172 cup
just wondered if anybody else is having this problem, basically i'm now on my third set of rear oe discs due to the bearings failing horribly within 1500 miles.

the set just taken off, the inner race of the bearing had actually split from one side to the other, the parts warranty people said this is the first time they've had this problem, i just find it strange it's happened twice to me.

not fitted by me but a garage and the hub nuts have been torqued to the correct setting btw

Last edited by a moderator:

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
^^^ if you have abs and the spacers were fitted incorrectly its makes a wired shwwshin noise.

Maybe did up the hub bolt to tight?

alien green rs133
100% doesnt have the correct washer, did a rb 182 the other week exact same problem, inner race was smashed and it rumbled like mad. theres a washer/seal goes behind the bearing, as the stub axel thing has a taper on the end.

172 cup
cheers for the replies guys :approve:

not really looking for a solution as it's a renault garage doing the work and warranty repairs so i'd hope they'd spot that they were doing it wrong the first two times. an interesting point that's been raised, does the cup run different rear discs? they could be using discs with abs rings?

my 172 cup doesn't have abs so doubt i'd get any noise and i doubt they over tightened the nut as i've already said the torque settings were correct.

it was more of a clio discussion kinda thing to make people aware that there may be a faulty batch of oe rear discs as they told me the ones they've fitted now are from a different batch. they may be blowing smoke up my bum but hay, it's their money and time they're wasting if they're doing it wrong

alien green rs133
make sure they are putting new pads in each time, and keep quiet, free rear brakes for life??? :D