ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear arch rust 172 cup - advice needed

Clio 172 Cup, 320CE
Hi all, I'm looking to buy a 172 cup and have found one that's mechanically fine, has a detailed service history and has had all belts & dephaser done by Ktr last year but there is an area of bubbling on the o/s rear arch. From reading the buyers guide rust appears to be uncommon, would it be a case of cutting out the effected area and having new metal welded in to fix? The seller has provided the attached photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0788.jpg
    IMG_0788.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 269

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
It may have had a repair in the past, but as Danny said, it's not that big-a-deal. For me, it would depend what I was going to use the car for.

Clio 172 Cup, 320CE
Thanks for the quick replies! That gives me a bit a reassurance. It will only be used as a weekend toy with the possibility of the odd track day....But would won't to get it sorted sooner rather than later as it will annoy me every time I get in the car!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
It will have had a repair at some point, no big deal if done well etc. The amount of crap that collects behind the arches is a lot. Get my girlfriend to clean them once a month. Should be fine.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Funnily enough on mine where it was repaired after a minor crash about five years ago it's fine, but the other side that's never been touched is a bit like the one posted by the OP. Also check the area round the fuel cap for rust. Pleased to read this can be sorted though.