ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Re: Oil pressure red warning light & stop light on Clio 182 70K

Karlos172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio182 Trophy/R5GTT
On the way to work on Monday literally got 1-2 miles down the road engine not upto temp had red oil warning light come on and stop so pulled over straight away and switched engine off. Re-started it and after 1-2 minutes it came back on so limped it home dipping clutch and letting it idle and switching it off again. Left it for half an hour went to re-start it, revved it a little and no warning lights. After work went back to it as had to leave it on the drive for the day, started no warning lights, oil splashing about under oil filler cap and flicking spots of oil out so drove it to work 13 miles away no higher than 2500 revs again no warning lights.

I booked it into Renault dealership just down the road from VW where I work for some diag for peace of mind thinking its the sensor/oil pressure switch. They have done all checks, pressure switch/sensor all ok, on idle oil pressure is 1 bar, at 3k rpm its 3 bar and cant find much wrong apart from an intermittant loss of pressure perhaps whilst vehicle being driven. Recommend sump removal to carry on investigation work, or for me to take it back and see how it is. They advised worse case scenario its sump off, check oil pump and possibly replace oil pump for a new one at ££££. I said ill let them know tomorrow morning, not keen to keep driving it as do the odd long run and dont wanna kill the engine or be stuck at roadside.

Its a 55 plate Trophy, 70,000 miles on the clock, near full history thats had oil and filter change when I bought it with geniuine filter and 5w 40 oil, previous owner had a garage service it just before I bought it with 5w 30 oil, genuine filter and some engine flush stuff (thats why i changed it straight away as flush/wrong grade oil not ideal). Any ideas?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'll be honest mate, if the oil pressure warning light came on and the engine isn't knocking I'd be tempted to say the oil pressure switch is your issue tbh. In these cases, if the lights come on the engines fucked. I don't think I've ever known of anyone be lucky enough to turn the engine off in time to save it knocking the bottom end out.

1 bar oil pressure at idle is good going for one of these engines as well! For reference 1 bar of oil pressure per 1000rpm is classed as acceptable.

But, and here's the headache, @Dan@SJM has seen a few of these now with a weak oil pressure relief valve spring, so it might be worth going in and getting the pump replaced, if for nothing else, to keep the engine tip top.

Karlos172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio182 Trophy/R5GTT
Thanks mate, called them this morning and told them to crack on, just want it sorted right so I can drive it without any worries.

Karlos172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio182 Trophy/R5GTT
Still not got the car back, should be getting it tomorrow. As dropping subframe for the sump/oil pump issue getting the clutch replaced at the same time whilst its there.

Karlos172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio182 Trophy/R5GTT
Interesting thought fella... didnt think there was much clearance tbh sump off, oil pick up pipe on oil pump had some black siilicon stuck in it from bell housing where apparantely this is injected during manufacturing to seal 2 holes, anyways this has come loose and been floating around in the sump. Oil pump has been removed/stripped/cleaned and inside the oil pump more black silicone deposits so oil pump being replaced for brand new one, Im keeping the original one, new clutch in, gearbox back on and picking up the Trophy tomorrow at last.

Mec 350 slk manual
Interesting thought fella... didnt think there was much clearance tbh sump off, oil pick up pipe on oil pump had some black siilicon stuck in it from bell housing where apparantely this is injected during manufacturing to seal 2 holes, anyways this has come loose and been floating around in the sump. Oil pump has been removed/stripped/cleaned and inside the oil pump more black silicone deposits so oil pump being replaced for brand new one, Im keeping the original one, new clutch in, gearbox back on and picking up the Trophy tomorrow at last.
I remember when I had the arp bolts done on the bottom end I had a grey type floating around

Karlos172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio182 Trophy/R5GTT
I have the Trophy back at last, they found parts of sealer from main bearing cap in oil pick up strainer and inside oil pump causing low oil pressure. Oil pump has been replaced for new, clutch replaced for new aswell.