ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattle under acceleration

Clio 182 FF cup'd
Had this rattle under acceleration on my car since i bought it.. Thought at first it would be a pulley bearing knackered so had the cam belt and auxbelt redone by birchdown.. But the rattle is still there a few people suggested it might be the heat shield so i tried bending it away from the manifold incase it was contacting it under acceleration.. it didnt work :(

Anybody have any suggestions what to do next? Im out of ideas

Sound is like rattleing a chain in a tin can but alot quieter..

Clio 182
any of the joints on the exhaust, o2 sensor sticking out a bit and touching the heat shield, exhaust silencer internals or mounts. All four have caused me rattles recently!

Does it happen when your not moving and you rev the engine? Any particular rev range?

Evo 5 RS
most simple thing ever to try first because it normally is the dog bone mount..Wack the hand brake on, hit biting point and if it rattles then it's that.

ITB'd MK1
Check that the alternator bracket isn't loose. This was my issue for over a year. Lol!

LOL. the brace from the upper alternator bracket to the block to be precise

worth looking at the manifold to cat gasket. The bolts and springs come loose as the gasket wears out

cliosport 182
got the same problem with mine, just been outside, mine was rattling around the 4k mark, just took the fuel rail guard off and it has stopped, still have a small exhaust rattle!! (job for another day!) but try the fuel rail guard, 2x 10mm nuts, becareful ive just snapped the bolts off mine!

Clio 182 FF cup'd
I've got a sound clip for people to listen to, hopefully somebody will be able to diagnose the problem.

Listen for the High pitch rattle under acceleration.. 2 sound clip in this video..

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 182 FF cup'd
That sounds fine to me.
Cannot seem to hear anything out of the ordinary!

The audio doesnt pick up the sound that well but if you turn your speakers up you can hear a very metallic sound.. especially higher up the rev range and it sounds 10x worse in person! My mate said my car sounds broken when i picked him up the other day :dapprove: If the majority think this is normal i'll head to the next meet and see if somebody there could take me out in theirs to compare :)

Clio Sport 172
ok ive had this problem with mine....ive now sorted it yesterday...... top engine mount to the left of the engine there are 4' 16mm bolts.... loosen them off tap the frame forward no more than 5-7mm it can be done with a few light hits with a hammer.... tighten back up job done.