ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattle on tailgate

Clio Campus Sport
Going over lumps and bumps in the road makes the tailgate rattle like hell. It's only just started from the past 3 or 4 months and it's starting to bring up the door open light. Anyone else had this problem and no a solution to it? Thanks in advance.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
If you pull up and down on the boot when it’s closed, does it move/rattle?

If it does, you need to adjust the latch. The metal loop bit which sits at the bottom when you open the boot.

Think it’s a T40 torx bit, loosen it off and it slides up and down. You need to push it down but only a tiny amount otherwise it won’t latch on to the door.

Clio Campus Sport
It doesnt move surprisingly but you can hear it rattling when your in the car and its moving. But the loop what your talking about there is a lot of movement in that yes. Ill try that now thankyou pal.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
It doesnt move surprisingly but you can hear it rattling when your in the car and its moving. But the loop what your talking about there is a lot of movement in that yes. Ill try that now thankyou pal.

The loop does have a bit of movement naturally for it to locate in the latch on the boot door, so the adjustment screw won't change that.

If the boot door doesn't move when you give it a pull whilst it's closed, then I can't see how its bringing the door open warning on.

Clio Campus Sport
The loop does have a bit of movement naturally for it to locate in the latch on the boot door, so the adjustment screw won't change that.

If the boot door doesn't move when you give it a pull whilst it's closed, then I can't see how its bringing the door open warning on.
Right okay then yeah, I can’t seem to find what the problem is I’ve since looked at the loop latch and the large bolt that holds it in place is nice and tight anyway. Since removing the rear plastic to get access to the bolt the light hasn’t come on since thankfully but the rattle is still there.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Is it definitely the boot lid itself and not something that's fallen behind the plastic liner at the back edge of the boot?

I know when I have my seats down, there's a rattle at low revs from behind there. Given there's an opening where the boot netting can attach to, I wouldn't be surprised if something has gone behind there over the 13 years I've had it.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Although mine is a Mk3, I had the same.
2 things. Either as Aucky said, you need to move the boot latch, by undoing the 2 torx bolts and adjusting it.
Or as i found with mine, add some electrical tape around the latch itself to make it thicker - as the lock in the bootlid is too loose otherwise.

Clio Campus Sport
Thankyou very much for the comments people. Gunna have a proper look when I have some time on the weekend. Never thought about those contact points to be fair gunna have a look at getting some new ones.

clio mk2 1.2 16v 02
my spoiler makes a noise at certain revs/vibrations. remove spoiler and use some silicone sealent.stops the plastic spoiler rattling on the body panels and glass.also inside the boot were the handle is can come looses and also rattle

Clio Campus Sport
Look for the rubber contact points that the Boot lid sits on. These flatten over time, I have the same problem.
Ive found it to be these contact points you talk about mate. Could i get these replaced at all?