ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Raspberry Pi

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I wanted one, well still do.

I just plan to use it to run all sorts of homebrew software, maybe xbmc to test it out, loads of little geeky pointless applications will become available for it, all free.

As this is supposed to be 'for the people' I'm pretty pissed off they chose to sell through the suppliers they did. I doubt I'll be getting my hands on one anytime soon, but have registered my interest with both companies.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Blimey thats pretty impressive! You build your own stuff up then? Do you do enough bits to warrant that?? IE do you build all your stuff??

Yep, allows us ultimate flexibility, we can manufacture stuff just in time if we need to. Our current machine will place about 16,000 components an hour but due to its age is only able to place down to 0603.

The stuff we (design and) make is fairly complex, for example we have one board that would take an experienced solderer 1 week to build by hand (all day, every day). When we use our current machine it takes a grand total of 15 minutes! The new machine would eat through it even quicker.

Probably the best piece of equipment we ever purchased.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Btw, I hope all those of you wanting to use it for XMBC have all your content in simple x264 containers?

Bumder With A Buffer
Yep, allows us ultimate flexibility, we can manufacture stuff just in time if we need to. Our current machine will place about 16,000 components an hour but due to its age is only able to place down to 0603.

The stuff we (design and) make is fairly complex, for example we have one board that would take an experienced solderer 1 week to build by hand (all day, every day). When we use our current machine it takes a grand total of 15 minutes! The new machine would eat through it even quicker.

Probably the best piece of equipment we ever purchased.

I reckon I could do it in under a week ;)

Octy VRS
Not sure either. Any stuff I have whether it's HD or SD it's just played from the folder as I've acquired it.

Bumder With A Buffer
It seems people can order these now but the Farnell payment page doesn't seem to be very secure for card details (if you are a "Consumer") There is no Secure icon anywhere and fcuked if I am putting my card details in there.

Nissan 350z
I wouldnt bother, you will just join the queue with the rest of us who purchased at release. The latest update i recieved from them is:

Dear

In recent days you may have heard various reports on the Web about Raspberry Pi, the need for compliance testing and possible further delivery delays.

We recognise the impact on our customers of the constantly changing delivery dates, and we apologise for the frustration and disappointment this is causing. We will supply you with accurate delivery dates just as soon as we can, as the Boards undergo compliance testing.

Basically they ran out of components, sourced an alternative, the alternative now needs testing before they can sell it. Still no ETA.

Nissan 350z
Yeah sorry reading this im not sure where i got running out from. This was the previous email on 20th of March:

A few days ago, the Raspberry Pi Foundation announced a small manufacturing delay. A component in the Pi is being reinstalled. In the grand scheme it's small potatoes - but we know it's frustrating for Farnell element14 fans and customers.

Bumder With A Buffer
That was the incorrect Jack issue that they fitted. (we use the magnetic types at work like they should of done). I think they wouldnt of had to get the EMC testing done had it not been for Farnell and RS.

I think i will just wait until they are actually released properly. Still think they have handled this very poorly.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I think they wouldnt of had to get the EMC testing done had it not been for Farnell and RS.

I think i will just wait until they are actually released properly. Still think they have handled this very poorly.

Poorly is an understatement!

They should have done the emc testing on it though, the fact that they pushed xbmc before release meant that they were always going to be selling to end users.

Given the legal ramifications (to them) it was unbelievable that they didn't do it, especially as it only takes a day and you know then and there whether or not it passes or what you need to do to make it pass, minor or major.

The manufacturing **** up is their fault too, I wouldn't be sending 100 of them down the line, let alone 10,000 without doing a full verification of the production build in person.

Learning to manufacture electronics the hard way!

Bumder With A Buffer
Agree.

Although EMC testing it not in a case is Shirley very silly? They will then have to get it redone when they do a cased version. I didn't think invaded goods had to be EMC tested, although I'm still learning about EMC myself so probably a lot I don't know.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Agree.

Although EMC testing it not in a case is Shirley very silly? They will then have to get it redone when they do a cased version. I didn't think invaded goods had to be EMC tested, although I'm still learning about EMC myself so probably a lot I don't know.

It has nothing to do with whether it's cased, the requirement for CE marking is the responsibility of the end manufacturer. There aren't technically any exceptions, but development boards generally tend to get away without certification because they're not intended for an "end use".

The moment raspberry pi started putting up information on and helping with ports of XBMC, they effectively gave the product a purpose and a different set of non technical users became interested, consequently they sold a lot of units which no doubt will end up sitting behind TVs. Because its a "end product" (they'd have a hard time arguing otherwise) they need compliance to make sure they don't end up in a lot of potentially quite serious trouble. CE is complaint driven, so if somebody did complain about EMI then they'd have a lot of explaining to do as to why they were selling it.

And for what it's worth, if you can make a bare board pass EMC testing, then a cases version should be a mere formality as it should provide more shielding.

Its more silly to redesign, reverify and make new shims for stencils than it is to repeat an EMC test. Having done lots of EMC testing recently, it's far easier, quicker and cheaper to fix the problem early.

When you've got large expensive BGA chips, the last thing you want to do is find that you've just made 10,000 door stops because the fault requires a design change.

We design hardware for integration into equipment for OEMs and we do EMC testing on our bare boards to show potential customers that they're not going to have a problem, we do this because it's a selling point for us, not because we need to or have any obligation to do it.

Harsh lesson for them in world of electronics manufacturing that could have potentially gone very very wrong for them.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Bloody stupid really. Puts it miles behind, could have had a processor upgrade during this period.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Bloody stupid really. Puts it miles behind, could have had a processor upgrade during this period.

Both problems were completely avoidable as well. EMC would have taken a day and having somebody in china to verify that the end product was manufactured to spec would have taken a design engineer a couple of hours max.

Bumder With A Buffer
It has nothing to do with whether it's cased, the requirement for CE marking is the responsibility of the end manufacturer. There aren't technically any exceptions, but development boards generally tend to get away without certification because they're not intended for an "end use".

The moment raspberry pi started putting up information on and helping with ports of XBMC, they effectively gave the product a purpose and a different set of non technical users became interested, consequently they sold a lot of units which no doubt will end up sitting behind TVs. Because its a "end product" (they'd have a hard time arguing otherwise) they need compliance to make sure they don't end up in a lot of potentially quite serious trouble. CE is complaint driven, so if somebody did complain about EMI then they'd have a lot of explaining to do as to why they were selling it.

And for what it's worth, if you can make a bare board pass EMC testing, then a cases version should be a mere formality as it should provide more shielding.

Its more silly to redesign, reverify and make new shims for stencils than it is to repeat an EMC test. Having done lots of EMC testing recently, it's far easier, quicker and cheaper to fix the problem early.

When you've got large expensive BGA chips, the last thing you want to do is find that you've just made 10,000 door stops because the fault requires a design change.

We design hardware for integration into equipment for OEMs and we do EMC testing on our bare boards to show potential customers that they're not going to have a problem, we do this because it's a selling point for us, not because we need to or have any obligation to do it.

Harsh lesson for them in world of electronics manufacturing that could have potentially gone very very wrong for them.

Maybe that's where my confusion Is. I thought it was more of a "development" product and maybe so did they. Although as you say with xmbc and the amount of people interested they should of realized it had gone beyond that.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Mine shipped yesterday. Hoping it arrives when I'm in the office, otherwise I'll have to grab it the following week.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
UPS tried to deliver yesterday but after working hours, so nobody there.

It was being redelivered today, but I'm not in the office this week and I am away on business the following week, so won't get my hands on it for a while.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I eventually made it into the office this morning and on my desk waiting for ne was the pi.

On the train on my way home now, will power it up this evening if I get the chance. (wife probably won't be too chuffed. I'll tell her it'll improve her p**n viewing or something!)

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-NUC-Next-Unit-Computing-Raspberry-Pi-Size-Compare,15499.html

intel-next-unit-computing-nuc,8-2-335954-13.jpg

"
Over the last few months, the Raspberry Pi Foundation has generated quite a few headlines thanks to its diminutive single-board computer Raspberry Pi. However, it looks like Intel is keen to grab some of the attention for its own tiny offering. This week, Intel is showing off something it likes to call 'NUC' or Next Unit Computing."

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Anyone selling one of these? I can only see them on eBay and they are really over-priced. But I could do with one for xbmc as I only have a laptop now.