ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Randomly not starting

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
My Clio 1.2 is randomly not starting.

It's been doing it for a couple of weeks now.

Usually it's first thing in the morning. I might turn the key and it'll just turn over but not start. This could happen a couple of times then it will just start instantly as if nothing is wrong. I don't remember it ever happening later in the day on the way home from work.

It's always just started instantly before.

It's got new (ish) plugs in.
Recent (ish) oil and air filter change

Could it be HT leads?
Fuel filter?

Any ideas? Cheers guys

Clio 1.2
It sounds exactlly like what mine was doing. It mite be the starter motor sticking I replaced mine not had an issue since,

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
If the starter motor was sticking wouldn't it just not turn over at all? Mine turns over it just won't start.

I've read it could be the TDC (top dead centre) sensor?

The Coolant Temp sensor?

Or a corroded ECU plug?

Clio 172
I'm just about to replace the TDC Sensor on my 172.

Could be the same issue, non starts have been known to be cause by failing Crank Position Sensors.

Monaco 53/468
The girlfriends sister's 1.2 was doing this, it would bump if it wouldn't start (incase you get stuck!). TDC sensor replaced - starts everytime now.

monaco 172
im almost certain its the tdc.

my old 1.2 used to do it, took out the tdc and cleaned it with wd40, never had a problem since.

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
I wouldn't use ECP.

Thing is I know for the 172 that the loom was modified by Renault. New Sensor and Loom from Renault - £65 including VAT.

Would you not use them cos they're cheap or cos they won't have the right part? If it's not right I can just take it back surely?

I'll get it off and give it a good clean, see if that sorts it out. I'll be well impressed if it does (so will my missus) as she's dead worried about it not starting for her now. :cool:

BurrrgundyPh1 banger
mine did exactly the same thing not so long ago, could not figure it out so i ended up taking to to my mate whos a mechanic and he took out the idle speed control valve and gave that a clean and its started first time ever since, although recently the idle speed has been jumping around a bit so i can feel a new problem coming along :(

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
I took the TDC sensor off on Friday night and gave it a good clean with GT85

On the 3 mornings since it's started first time on the button.

Fingers crossed that got it sorted now. Well done for all the advice guys. :approve:

DCi 100
When mine was cracking and not starting it was the crank sensor. Funnily enought if I touched the loom going into it then it would start fine.

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
When you are stood in front of your car looking at the engine. You look down the right hand side, where the gear box bell housing meets the engine block. There is a sensor with 2 wires going to it. It'l held on by a kind of curved bracket.

%7BBC8C6B02-F05A-4A1B-A4DC-A5E9ECE36941%7D.jpg

I literally just whipped it off (2 little 10mm bolts I think), cleaned it up with some GT85 and stuck it back on. Car hasn't missed a beat since. :cool: It's a bit fiddly to get to one of the bolts but it's no problem really, I just used an angle joint and an extension on my small wrench.