ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Random questions, are shock absorbers handed?

Clio 172 cup
Exactly that, I've fitted brand new cup shocks to my cup and it's rubbing a grinding on something. Are they handed??

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Nope.

Fronts are identical, rears are too. Only difference is the cup ones are slightly stiffer than normal ones and the bolt spacing is different the the 182ff, 182 cups and 182 trophies.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Are the springs seated in the correct position? There is a groove for them to sit in with a stop lip.

Rears are separate shock/spring so shouldn't be rubbing on anything. I presume it's fronts you changed?

Clio 172 cup
Yeah it's all seated properly, and yeah swapped the fronts identical part numbers that came off to the new ones that I put on from Renault just strange when going over harsh bump or going left or right hand down hard sounds like a really bad rubbing sound strange as I can't see where it's catching

Clio 172 cup
Well I've got PMS solid mounts they went on the same as they come off, I've fitted 100s of shocks but can't figure this out lol

Clio 172 cup
Yeah it's like 3 bolts lol. Think I'm just gunna take it all off and refit again see what happens. But it seems the front end is sitting lower in the arch than before which I don't get

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Spring was definitely fine and not slightly cracked? Could have snapped once refitted and driven? Sounds far fetched a bit, but it could happen. May explain the dropness.

Other than that I'm stumped. Once you taken it apart and fitted it all back up, keep us posted.