ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Random Mysterious Electrical fault light = limp mode

1.2 dynamique 2003
so, the past couple of weeks my clio (1.2 16v '03 dynamique) has been acting weird.
just driving along and the electrical fault light flash up on my dash and causing the car to go into limp mode.
it happens completely randomly (and in the most inconvenient places like merging on to a motorway)
9 times out of 10, restarting the engine usually fixes the issue, but every once in a while, after trying that the light may stay on after restarting until the engine warning light will show.
I took my car down to the garage to run a diagnostics on it unfortunately the ecu still had old fault codes in it so couldn't really narrow it down although there was one code that he has never seen before regarding a fault with the speed sensor, he also looked at the engine telemetries and said the engine is running sweet as a nut. suggested I just drive the car until It happens again and take it back down for another diagnostics which I havnt had time for really but I also presume may be pointless anyway because after scouring the internet for same kind of problems, people have had near the same issue, hooking it up to a diagnostics to be told its something to do with throttle body, pedal sensor, etc etc etc and still have the problem occurring after spending a lot of money needlessly replacing parts like the wirelooms, new ecus, throttlebodies etc...

iv had a look at the engine fuse box and doesn't seem be any dampness getting in there (but then again it happens whatever the weather), the wiring loom 'SEEMS' fine and covered, everything secure in place as it should, no engine misfires or dodgy idling or anything.
whether im driving economically or flooring it doesn't have an effect on whether the electrical fault comes on.

i am strapped for cash (Christmas...) so i cant afford to be doing trial and errors.
i have had a mysterious electrical fault before regarding the TDC sensor which required a little wipe clean i just hope this issue is caused by something as trivial as that.
this issue is obviously a common one as iv found plenty of posts round the web on it, but cant seem to find any solutions. has anyone had this problem and hit the nail on the head with sorting it?

xxx

clio mk2 sport 2002
Ok i had this on my 2.0 clio. It is the pedal switch which is located under the pedal.. i unplugged mine which does cause the light on dash to be on constantly but fixes it until u get some cash to sort it. Its actually a cheap fix. Also when u unplug it can ssometimes affect the brake light, weird but true , so check them before moving. i think i drove mine without any brake lights...anyways try the pedals switches, that should do it for now. Also, mine only seemed to be affected by washing the car so water ingress may be another issue.. check wires under bonnet and fuse area. Next to battery.

1.2 dynamique 2003
Iv had a quick look at pedal switches, theres one i can see for the brake lights above the brake pedal and theres one (with 4 little wires coming out of the socket) above the throttle pedal, i assume your refering to this one? Car hasnt been too bad all week, only had problem once on tuesday which was solved by quickly restatting engine, although today on my way home from work, it did it again but restarting engine didnt solve it untill the engine light came on, it is quite cold and cold and very damp outside (relatively dry all week up untill today) so must be some moisture getting somewhere.
I have had few leakage problems in the past (sun roof and lack of windshield trim on passenger side) but iv sorted them problems out ages ago(earlier this year). If the problem is to do with the wire loom how much would the damage be to my wallet getting that replaced? Xxx

1.2 dynamique 2003
So, iv double checked the fuses and wiring etc all seems ok and in good condition i must say. I unplugged the switch for the accelerator pedal, started engine and both electric fault light and engine light came up again (obviously lol), plugged it back in and both lights went off straight away so sounds like you have hit the nail on the head with that tip, so thanks, ill try get it down to the garag and get another diagnosis (dont charge for diagnostics at my local which is nice...prob cos im a regular....lol) see what he makes of it and look at a replacing the pedal/switch/part (whatever you wanna call it) xxx