ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Random misfire/poor acceleration from cold

Clio 182 Trophy
As stated above, my Clio 182 has developed a random misfire and poor acceleration from cold and am in need of some very technical knowledge.

Basically this started around a week or so ago when the weather decided to have a burst of heat/sunshine, i would go to start the vehicle early in the morning engine is cold. Now it would take a few seconds and a tad bit longer than normal to get the engine to fire up, After this the misfire would start to appear its not in sequence so i cant justify it being just the one cylinder.

The misfire would eventually settle around 10-20 seconds later and i would go to drive away on doing so the power and performance would be like what i can only describe as driving in limp home mode with multiple misfire.

This has happened to me now 3 times this week and misfire on startup near enough every day especially on leaving work,after vehicle has sat all day and in the mornings.

I am a mechanic by trade however renault's aren't my speciality, I have plugged the vehicle into our work equipment this being both snap-on solus pro and autoland scientech, with both showing no fault code's this has be done mind half way through the day so sensor readings were showing all ok from what i can tell.

I have to admit iv not really had a chance to take a good look at the issue, i was thinking of whipping the spark plugs out to check for oil in the wells as i know the cam cover has a slight leak and will be doing this, this weekend, i also know the old style crank sensor is fitted but this usually stops the engine from running if faulty.
The lambda sensor was replaced in December along with spark plugs coil pack and leads and lambda seems to be functioning on diagnostic's same with the temperature sensor however this seem's to raise slightly quicker than it has done but i put that down to hotter weather. Only other thing i can think of is it has a cheap rac battery which has been on since i had vehicle and iv never checked this nor have i cleaned earth connections or its a fuel issue, maybe vapour in the rail due to heat, it currently has some shell vpower in there could this cause an issue and should i try it on normal 95 octane? Either that or i have know ecu issues to cause troubles like this and same with throttle body both usually don't flag up a fault code.

If any of you mechanics or anyone who has suffered similar issues has any ideas before i go hunting for a needle in a haystack this would be great, would just like to add once car is warm this being after around a 3 minutes the vehicle is spot on never misses a beat. If you need more information just post up.

Thanks in advance

Liam

Megane 225 Trophy
I don;t know the answer but I have exactly the same problem. I;ve read posts on here which indicates its a common issue with these cars but I;ve never seen a solution or diagnosis

clio 1.2 2001 STD
my 1.2 does the exact same. i start it on cold mornings and it sounds rough as hell like its only on 3 cylenders and the car judders like mad. then once its warmed up abit it sound normal but when pulling off it seems to have no power and just tries to stall. if i live it to warm up for 1 or 2 mins its seems fine