ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rain sits on my roof, it doesn't drain off?!...

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Noticed this recently, given the monsoons we have been having....
Never noticed it before to be honest, the only think i have done different is apply a coat of AG SRP, that was about 2 weeks ago...

The rain sits on the roof in loads of droplets, some quite big, and now it has dried off there's loads of water marks left on the roof!?...

Surely this isn't right is it?!... Anyone else have this problem?!

Last edited:
It's supposed to sit in droplets if it's waxed.

Cars that haven't been done in while just dry off quickly as beads don't form on it and it all just runs off.

FF182 Brembo Max, BMC CDA
it will sit in drop lets if its been waxed or coated and it will be a film of water if its unwaxed, the wax stops of the droplets forming together to make one big droplet if that mkes sense. its perfectly normal

Shed.
It's supposed to sit in droplets if it's waxed.

Cars that haven't been done in while just dry off quickly as beads don't form on it and it all just runs off.

yeah looks like streaky shite, i find that after waxing it when it rains it will dry off quite nicely, take it for a quick drive and itl be dry again.

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Just give ur a car a quick blast round a roundabout and theyll all be gone!!!:approve:

LOL, sounds like a good excuse to me!
Just annoying now that the rain has dried i'm left with a load of dirt spots all over the roof!
Once i get on the detailing and give it a coat of wax i assume that it wont be as bad?...
I want to get all the swirls and some small dents out before i start the waxing, but thats a whole other story! :rolleyes:

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Just give ur a car a quick blast round a roundabout and theyll all be gone!!!:approve:

LOL, sounds like a good excuse to me!
Just annoying now that the rain has dried i'm left with a load of dirt spots all over the roof!
Once i get on the detailing and give it a coat of wax i assume that it wont be as bad?...
I want to get all the swirls and some small dents out before i start the waxing, but thats a whole other story! :rolleyes:

TTRS & V50
LOL, dont just use some srp, you need to put a sealent over that, if you dont have machine polisher, use some AG SRP then some AG EGP then finish with a decent wax.. i advice Natty's Blue wax.

Check out cleanyourcar.co.uk for decent products.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
when you drive it should all just bead off and it can be raining quite hard but when it stops and you stop your paintwork should be mostly dry

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
LOL, dont just use some srp, you need to put a sealent over that, if you dont have machine polisher, use some AG SRP then some AG EGP then finish with a decent wax.. i advice Natty's Blue wax.

Yeah, I have some AG EGP, the thing is there isn't much point doing all that until i have corrected the defects in the paint right? i.e. pulled a few small dents out, polished out the swirls etc?...Is it possible to get rid of the swirls by hand?....

Mito Sportiva 135
Waxing make the water marks worse if anything, tres annoying but when you clean it will come up nicely again.

Ian

Focus TDCi

Yeah, I have some AG EGP, the thing is there isn't much point doing all that until i have corrected the defects in the paint right? i.e. pulled a few small dents out, polished out the swirls etc?...Is it possible to get rid of the swirls by hand?....

Swirls are nearly impossible to get out by hand, it'll be easier to get it PC'd. I would get all the dents out, then once that's done get it washed, clayed, PC'd then SRP, EGP, Wax/Sealant. Think that's right. :eek:

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Sorry, PC'd?....
Never used clay before, is it risky in terms of damaging the paintwork? also doesn't it take forever as it is a really slow process? Would you clay every bit of paint on the car, e.g. inside doors etc, or just wat is weathered?....
Probably ridiculous questions i know, detailing/forum noob alert...

Abarth 500 Essesse
PC'd, basically machine polished (polish applied by machine, intensity of polish depends on the amount of correction), claying easy as really, takes a while, only really needs doing on exterior, keep the clay wet though, quick detailer or a shampoo water mix, otherwise you'll end up with bad marring. Thats it really. Then a sealant/ wax afterwards by hand.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
You could wash your car with ionised water, that should make the droplets 'roll' off the car at least for the first couple of days it rains.

16v Dynamique
You could wash your car with ionised water, that should make the droplets 'roll' off the car at least for the first couple of days it rains.

How does that work?

Rinsing the car after washing with de-ionised water will stop water spots from rinsing, but it won't add any protection. And it would be extremely expensive to wash every week with DI water.

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
PC'd, basically machine polished (polish applied by machine, intensity of polish depends on the amount of correction), claying easy as really, takes a while, only really needs doing on exterior, keep the clay wet though, quick detailer or a shampoo water mix, otherwise you'll end up with bad marring. Thats it really. Then a sealant/ wax afterwards by hand.

Thanks Chris, will bite the bullet very soon and clay, its never been done so i'm sure the car will appreciate it!
Just wish i could find a way of pulling these little dents out, they are SO annoying!.... <cursing my perfectionist streak>

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF

How does that work?

Rinsing the car after washing with de-ionised water will stop water spots from rinsing, but it won't add any protection. And it would be extremely expensive to wash every week with DI water.

You can buy a water filter for about £50 that connects to your hose, someone posted a link the other day... but that only stops water marks from washing (see another one of my threads lol!).... dirty rain water is just a pain! Looking forward to getting fully detailed and then regularly waxed, then cleaning will be a breeze!....

If i was to post an ad for someone to help us out and bring their machine polisher, how much would be a fair price to pay?....

16v Dynamique
^^^

Which is what I said.

Price depends on whether it is a pro or amatuer or friend etc. Some people may just want the cost of products where as a pro would be charging £20+ per hour.

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
^^^

Which is what I said.

Price depends on whether it is a pro or amatuer or friend etc. Some people may just want the cost of products where as a pro would be charging £20+ per hour.

I don't know anyone who is big in to detailing with all the gear, so it will have to be a someone off here, or take it to a professional detailing place.... not aware of many in/near Essex, so will have to do the research, especially as it can be easy £200+?!..... I think i'll be ok to clay, wax etc (given some decent weather! :mad:)... as has been said, will need to PC to get the damn swirls out!...