ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Radio turned itself off?

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
I pulled up to work this morning, radio was on working normal. Turned car off at ignition, wondered into work.

Got in car this afternoon, turned the key to the ignition but didnt start the car. Waited for lights on dash to dissapear (note the radio was playing as normal) and then started the car.

Once the car turned over the radio didnt play as normal, infact the headunit had switched itself off? Usually it appears off then obviously kicks into life but ive had to press the power button.

Its happened a couple of times now. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers.

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
How did you reach that conclusion Matt?

Surely if the battery was on the way out the car wouldnt turn over before the radio wouldnt turn on? That said if its running from just battery it wouldnt work from the start which it does, it just fails to run when the car is actually running which means its running effectively off the power of the engine alternator and not the battery. Also it does actually work, i just have to press the power button.

Megane 2 GT 165
I noticed the same with my radio.

I think it's due to putting the radio on pause/mute and then turning the car off. If you come back later to start the car the radio is off?

Well I am not bothered with it so I did not pay any extra attention to it, so I am not 100% sure.

sounds like your battery maybe on the way out

Exact same thing happened to mine before it died. Radio kept going on/off.

Alternator went funning over the battery, so had to have a new battery, alternator and aux belt.

The AA man came to the conclusion because the alternator should produce between 12-14 volts, it was only putting out 11v. It was a wet, cold day so I had the lights, wipers, heater and radio on. Drawing to much power off causes the ECU to go funny hence the loss of power to the radio.

RS mk2 172
Mine did this just before the alternator self destructed but the batt light was coming on and off intermittently.