ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Radiator Fan Stopped Working

Had my car idling for about 5 minutes and the temp needle had gone quite far past the normal point when the fan comes on!

I thought the best thing to do was to go out driving it and get some airflow in to cool it down, and switch on the heaters. The temp went down pretty quick to normal, so I popped the bonnet to have a look & the fan was on!

Bit confused, i drove home and the needle keeps nudging about the highest point it normally does, and the fan wont switch back on!

Any ideas!?

When it did come on, it was fine, working at full speed. Fan Motor is only a few months old anyway!

Thought it mightve been the fuse, but then it came on later, so wouldnt be that.

Willy2

well i had a similar problem on my old valver, what i did was bypass the fan switch , by using a paperclip, if it comes on when you do this and stays on its probably the fan switch thingy in the rad, about £7 from GSF. In my case the fan motor was shagged, so i picked up one cheap from Pmitchell. there after worked like a treat.

Yeah try the paperclip thing on the rad temp switch. if the fan was on when you popped the bonnet with the engine off it would be because that runs on a seperate higher temp switch for the anti perculation system.

I still had the engine running when I popped the bonnet, and it was running.

Thats whats confusing me, why I didnt switch on in the first place, but came on later, and now wont come on!

How do I bypass the fan switch with a paperclip? Sorry Im thick! lol!

Take the plug out of the temp switch which is goes into the side of the radiator (squeeze the sides to unclip it) and then just bend a paperclip and put either end into the plug. This should make the circuit to start the fan.

Just tried it and all i got was a clicking sound (guessing thats a relay somewhere) but the fan didnt come on!

It would suggest then (I think) that its the fan motor, but like I said, when it did come on it was fine, full speed, and is only a few months old anyway!

Also, the fan wont freely go round, not sure if it is supose to? I know my mum pug does.

Also a indication that the fan motor has siezed?

Confused now! lol!

loose connection to the fan? I dunno how easy it is to access the plug on the fan but if you could get a voltmeter on it you could narrow it down.

Yeah its stuck solid? Just like last time when it went!

Guess its a new fan motor then......only had this one 6 months!

Just did the paper clip test again and it still just clicks. Surely this would blow the fuse?

Could it be a fault with the relay?

wow, my impressions of you were that you were the person to ask stuff, seem like you know loads bout cars! tut tut! ;)

with regards to ur queston...not a clue!

mike

Willy2

have you got the right fuse in the fusebox, ie 20amp, im a bit confused now as the fan works without the fuse? but not with it in?

I meant that I took the fuse out and its not broken.

Last time my fan motor seized it blew the fuse.

Just trying to make sure its definately the fan motor at fault.

I meant that I took the fuse out and its not broken.

Last time my fan motor seized it blew the fuse.

Just trying to make sure its definately the fan motor at fault.

Willy2

ok sorry mate i read you now, when you do the paperclip test can you hear the seconadry water pump humming? its a very quiet noise, so you have to listen for it!