ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RaceChip vs Custom ECU remap.

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
Seen a few video's posting about 'Racechips' and claiming they are going to get increased performance and economy. They use predefined maps that arent custom for each car but are custom to the model, the main thing to me is they are less than half the price of a ECU remap from a local professional. Supposedly get +16Hp on my MkII 1.5 Dci, wondered if anyone had any experience with these?

https://www.racechip.co.uk/

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Proper remap every time, even if it's some monkey just flashing pre-prepared files - as long as they're well written you're usually sorted.

Tuning boxes are no-where near as good IMO, the ones that are half decent cost as much as a proper remap anyway.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
In same boat with my Phase 1 . Remaps are pricey, and gains for mine r not that great
Going for that RS Tuner box from Henk in Belgium. Gets good write up.

Got to get my skates on, and sort before Brexit- otherwise, never know whats gonna be held up

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
In same boat with my Phase 1 . Remaps are pricey, and gains for mine r not that great

Got to get my skates on, and sort before Brexit- otherwise, never know whats gonna be held up
A standard Race Chip will cost me £110 and quotes an increase of 16hp whereas a remap costing £250 onwards for roughly 20hp gain. Another thing is that the tune chips are removeable if I was to ever sell the car. An extra £150 for not even 5hp doesnt seem like a good trade off.

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
Proper remap every time, even if it's some monkey just flashing pre-prepared files - as long as they're well written you're usually sorted.

Tuning boxes are no-where near as good IMO, the ones that are half decent cost as much as a proper remap anyway.
From reviews and videos online about the chips they are good, their top end line (I think its the GTS line) cost the same as a good remap however the low tier model seems like a good amount of performance +16hp for £110.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It depends which one really and what application. For an NA car like the Clio I'd always go for a custom map.

I have a Burger Motorsports JBD on my 335d, I went for that over a map as it's a proven, reliable way of mildly bumping power on them. They had a great rep but you do pay for it. Mine was £310 delivered but my thinking was that when I sell the car, I'll sell the JBD separately, clawing back ~60% of that. That's not something you could do with a map.

It took mine from 286hp & 450lbft to ~330hp & 550lbft. I've not had it proven but it feels every bit of that.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
No disrespect, but with the type of car it is I personally wouldn't bother with a proper remap and just go with racechip.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

A good write up? You not seen the warning thread full of folk he's ripped or pissed off?

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Saying that I was thinking about getting an i30n at some point and racechip now do one for that, but Yer least you can remove it easy enough and sell on if you wanted.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
A good write up? You not seen the warning thread full of folk he's ripped or pissed off?

Was thinking more of the RS Tuner impact on the perfromance
Plenty seem to sell (Used) on here, just purchase the unlock code

He rip you off then DJW?

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
RSTuner is like a flash tuning box, used to be like the 'go to' for a entry level software power bump, but it seems the general consensus is that the customer service has gone massively downhill

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
RSTuner is like a flash tuning box, used to be like the 'go to' for a entry level software power bump, but it seems the general consensus is that the customer service has gone massively downhill
It sounded pretty good but the reviews are obviously awful. Shame it went downhill, was looking for entry level stuff to give a slight bump in performance

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Henk just ignores the user base he's no longer making money off, so the mk2 rs tuner he has no interest in now so just f***s everyone off. He did the same to me with the old mk1 ecu, no money in it so literally just completely ignores any correspondence about it. Frankly the guy appears to be a money grabbing c**t if you'll pardon my French

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Henk just ignores the user base he's no longer making money off, so the mk2 rs tuner he has no interest in now so just f***s everyone off. He did the same to me with the old mk1 ecu, no money in it so literally just completely ignores any correspondence about it. Frankly the guy appears to be a money grabbing c**t if you'll pardon my French

His software locks the ECU as well doesn't it?? Super helpful that the guy who's locked down your ECU will not answer an e-mail.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
whats the difference between buying a used RS Tuner and an unlock code from Henk (Which seems a lot do on here)
or buy a new one from Henk, where no unlock code is needed (Other than cost)

Seems more customer support would be needed for an unlock code?

Surely he should make money out of selling RS Tuners new, and if you PAYPAL you can always complain (Service not supplied as stated)
Would have thought he would be less sympathetic to those just buying the unlock code

Not defending poor reviews, just cant see why he would want to deliberately piss punters off who are spening money

His website says the software doesn't lock the ECU

Still, the reviews aren't good, spose I pays my money and takes my choice (Used or new)

Thing is bout a remap, its costly and you cant resell. You can resell the RS Tuner box!

These are the contact details on the site? (Thought Henk was Belgium)

(unit 1) LT 12,BLOCK 1,WINTER st
BACOOR CAVITE
PHILIPPINES

Have sent an email- will see the response

Last edited:

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
^ ^ Yep. Not good comments, but there are a few positive

See how the website repsonds to me before splashing out

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea but to be fair the RS Tuner does also work for fault code stuff, I used mine a fair bit.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I had one of those "racechips" on my TDi Golf. Went well tbh and never had an issue. Only as I bought it used cheap but did everything you'd expect/want.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Just looking at the cost of a brand new RSTuner online, about £200, you could easily get a decent map for around that
OH, didn't realise that - where? RS Tuner is resaleable so if RSTuner costs £220, get at least £100 back?

I got a response from the RS Tuner website within 24 hrs as seen, which was fast and seems civil:

Hi Chris,

Correct ECU will not be locked.

> will there be after market support if I get issues

Only related to our product, not for issues with a +15 year old car which is often the case.

Hope this answers your question(s),
Kind regards, Henk

Sorry to OP for hijacking the thread

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
OH, didn't realise that - where? RS Tuner is resaleable so if RSTuner costs £220, get at least £100 back?

I got a response from the RS Tuner website within 24 hrs as seen, which was fast and seems civil:

Hi Chris,

Correct ECU will not be locked.

> will there be after market support if I get issues

Only related to our product, not for issues with a +15 year old car which is often the case.

Hope this answers your question(s),
Kind regards, Henk

Sorry to OP for hijacking the thread

All good :), I've learnt something from it!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
It comes down to how much you want to spend.

The fuel pumps on the DCi are pretty shocking anyways. I would go for the race chip personally on this car. If you get the higher end one you can reprogram it and use it on another car or just sell it on. Any cheap remap is just going to be a flash of a generic tune. If you want a proper tune its probably £400+ and on your car for a lowish power gain and that's probably most of the value of the car.

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80

The fuel pumps on the DCi are pretty shocking anyways. I would go for the race chip personally on this car. If you get the higher end one you can reprogram it and use it on another car or just sell it on. Any cheap remap is just going to be a flash of a generic tune. If you want a proper tune its probably £400+ and on your car for a lowish power gain and that's probably most of the value of the car.
Half what we bought it for xD

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

Buy the race chip for it to trick the ECU into ramping up fuel pressure, giving worse mpg and gaining about 5hp will giving off loads of black smoke.

A proper remap will raise turbo boost and fuel flow to match giving genuine good, reliable gains, mpg improvement, transforming the car.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I understand what you are saying and I agree, but i don't think the racechip is that bad compared to these tuning boxes and s**t you get on eBay.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
What's the difference? As far as I can see if it's not mapping the ECU it's not going about the job properly.

Someone was trying to tell me to get a "tune it" box or something, it's not a tuning box it's got "maps" on it etc a smartphone app to match. Yet the more I read up on it the more it became clear it was a tuning box in a fancy case with a fancy manual, fancy website and fancy price.

For the 1.5 dci, superchips bluefin is my current go to solution!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
My understanding is that racechip put r&d into the maps for each car just like revo would do. Then once they have the map sorted they load it onto the chip and sell it. You then just plug it into obd and then I guess it loads it's map or it runs the map off the chip not sure on that. It seems very similar to revo sps where you can change the maps and things like that. Plus they offer a warranty and things like that, I highly doubt it's just like one of those tuning boxes that trick the ecu etc.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Does it load the map though? Tunit has "maps" but it's not loading them, they are not even ECU maps they are using the map term, but in reality it's 1-9 or something on how harsh it is on the fuel pump! They CANNOT control boost.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
To be honest I don't know if it loads the map or not, we could do with an independent test by a tuner to see what it really does. I don't think it just ups the fuel or tricks the car to thinking it's cooler then it is to over fuel tho. I think it's better than that. I'll have to try and do some more digging on it.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
OK so looking at it a little bit more, the module plugs into the wiring loom. So basically where you would have sensors mainly fuel ones I'm assuming, connected to the car it connects to the module and then into the car. From what I can find it does control the fueling from there but as you said i don't think it can control boost or anything. I think further investigation is required.