ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R5 GTT Fuel Injection Build

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Decided to launch a new project, had this idea in my head before but never went through with it because of money. Although i am still only receiving EMA from going to college, i have a few interviews coming up, and also just left a lifeguarding job and looking for another, so hopefully will have some luck soon.
The car I have is a 02 Ph2Mk2 Clio. It currently has the standard 1.2 8v D7F engine in there, which is starting to die. Has currently done bang on 90K, so not bad for a poorly built engine. About 2 months ago I had to do a clutch change, being as I have the kit I just cracked on with it...

DSCF0371.gif

DSCF0398.gif

DSCF0372.gif

DSCF0373.gif

DSCF0374.gif

DSCF0375.gif

DSCF0376.gif

DSCF0377.gif

DSCF0378.gif

DSCF0379.gif

DSCF0380.gif

DSCF0387.gif

DSCF0388.gif

DSCF0386.gif

DSCF0384.gif

DSCF0385.gif

DSCF0389.gif

Got that back in and running and the clutch was so much smoother it was amazing, then, 2 weeks ago, the Cambelt snapped. Which I don’t understand as it was changed 6 months ago by a garage, maybe they just left it and charged dad when the car used to be his, or maybe a weak belt. God knows. Either way the result was 2 bent exhaust valves. There was no point in complaining about it as the damage had been done, so I cracked on and stripped the head down, all the valves out, binned the two bent ones, lapped the okay ones back into the head, and lapped the two new ones in, built it up with a new head gasket and timing belt and set the gaps on the tappets, and it ran sweet as a nut! – Some pics..

DSCF0537.gif

DSCF0536.gif

DSCF0549.gif

DSCF0552.gif

DSCF0545.gif

DSCF0546.gif

DSCF0547.gif

DSCF0552.gif

DSCF0556.gif

DSCF0555.gif

Cleaned them up, took them all out put them in the pillar drill and got some sand paper under them, much better, then lapped them in..

DSCF0560.gif

CopyofDSCF0557.gif

DSCF0535.gif

DSCF0559.gif

DSCF0532.gif

New TDC Sensor...

DSCF0533.gif

Didn’t get any pics other than those, Built it back up, turned the key and started straight away, Awesome.
Next job, relocating battery to the boot.
More soon.

Last edited:
  Clio RT
Looks like you've done quite a bit of work on it, not afraid to get your hands dirty :)

No sure what the link to an R5 GTT is though ?

Nic

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Well, im gonna build a fuel injection R5 Gtt engine and put it in, lol.
will do an update later about the battery box, had a couple of hours to myself today so decided to crack on..

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Update:

Decided to run the battery relocation cable today, and mount the box. 1st thing i did was solder the battery terminal connections on the end, then ran this from the boot to the engine bay, going behind the pannels on the passenger side of the car. When i got to the passenger footwell i then had to drill through the rubber gromit to allow the cable through into the engine bay. In the picture it looks like i missed the grommit and is against the chassis but its not, its just the angle of the pic.

You will notice i also removed the ISOfix bar, and filled the bolt holes with silicone, much better. At some stage il have to replace the carpet though as it isn't long enough anymore.

You might wonder what the square plate with 4 bolts is for. I was going to use this as a sandwich plate to pull the battery box down to the chassis, but decided not to use it so please ignor. I did however use the plate to help me mark out the holes i had to drill in the floor.

The earth connects to the chassis by connecting to one of the bolts that holes the box down to the chassis.

Pics..

DSCF0135.gif

DSCF0460.gif

DSCF0469.gif

DSCF0470.gif

DSCF0471.gif

DSCF0473.gif

DSCF0474.gif

DSCF0475.gif

DSCF0476.gif

DSCF0477.gif

DSCF0517.gif

DSCF0519.gif

DSCF0516.gif

DSCF0515.gif

DSCF0511.gif

DSCF0512.gif

DSCF0513.gif

DSCF0591.gif

DSCF0588.gif

This is how i have left it. The battery is still under the bonnet atm because i need to get hold of a 3 series battery junction box so i can finish this off, other than that its done.

Next little thing i did was change the side repeaters from orange to clear ones, and change the bulbs to silver vision ones that flash orange so you cant see them.

DSCF0587.gif

Next thing was to fit the CTR aerial i had picked up a while ago, much better...

DSCF0595.gif

Sorry for the last couple of pics, was dark as you can see.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Update:

As part of the Fuel injection build i have to design a Inlet manifold and fuel rail. I wanted to keep it looking origional and factory based, so decided to buy a 172 sport top inlet manifold and Cable throttle body from Budgie on here for a fantastic price. Plans are to chop it up, weld some plates over the holes that are left and make it a complete rectangle plenum, will then cut the bottom out and weld that to the second half of the manifold il be sourcing. Should look very origional and factory. Will be great when its powercoated. Here is tonights efforts of 3.5 hours with the grinder....

DSCF0562.gif

DSCF0563.gif

DSCF0564.gif

DSCF0566.gif

DSCF0568.gif

DSCF0574.gif

DSCF0580.gif

DSCF0581.gif

DSCF0584.gif

DSCF0575.gif

Going to take the Plenum into my fathers work and stick it in a milling machine, to get a decient finish, will then make a plate from 5 - 6mm Ali to cover the holes and weld it up.

Quite a while ago me and m father build this Log burner out of 2 gas bottles. Can heat the garage to silly temps if you learn how to use it, when we had the heavy snow the other week it was -2 outside, i was out the garage tracing wires on the car for the conversion in just my shorts, was 21 degrees inside! - Awesome. We also have unlimited access to wood supplys. So never cold when out there...

DSCF0569.gif

More soon.

Last edited:
  Mk1 Focus RS
Look forward to seeing this taking shape, have you set yourself a time scale as i know you said you was only on EMA ?

Also what made you decided you wanted to use a C1J engine ?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Just a very simple engine and easy to tune.
only wanting about 200bhp, wont be needing anything else, so decided to use that, i also have lots of bits left over from my previous C1J build i did years ago.
Dont have a time scale as the EMA is basically fuel money.
Things are starting to look up atm.
Also getting a big EMA bonus on monday, so will have to find something to spend it on!
Just doing bits as and when i can afford it :)

Mk1 Focus RS
Sounds good, so what kind of spec are you aiming for to get to the 200 Bhp mark ?

Haha, so just proves what the government are saying by scraping EMA, as 90% off the time its not used for what it meant to be used for.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Sounds good, so what kind of spec are you aiming for to get to the 200 Bhp mark ?

Haha, so just proves what the government are saying by scraping EMA, as 90% off the time its not used for what it meant to be used for.

Not really?... Like i stated above, it basically pays for my fuel back and forth from college and thats it?
I get £20 a week, to make a trip of 6 miles, twice a day, 5 days a week, not forgetting going to get lunch.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Small update.
Got my father to find some 6mm ali sheet in work and i made the front blanking plate and a little circle one for the back both ready to be welded in place... All i got left to do is make one for that big hole on the back, and then i can start to design the second part of the manifold!

DSCF0598.gif

DSCF0599.gif

DSCF0600.gif

Also got up nice and early this morning with the intention of moving the battery to the boot. So took a drive to the scrap yard in cardiff and found this on a 3 series bmw, perfect! Was only £2 to!

DSCF0596.gif

DSCF0597.gif

Then when i got home, i was invited to go for a meal, and not long got back and its nearly dark. So will be up nice and early tomorrow to crack on and get it moved.

Another job off the list.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Got up early and cracked on, by lunch time i had re mounted the ECU, and got the battery terminal linked, and everything working again..
Above the ABS block there is a hole in the bodywork as you can see in the pics, i wanted to mount it to that, but because of the ABS sysem being in the way i couldn't, so have only temp mounted it for now until i remove the ABS, and then il mount the terminal box like i wanted to, will look very neat!
Looks a mess atm, but i'm not bothered as its only temp.

I wrapped the ECU in thick polythene sheet, taped it up then wrapped it in a tesco bag to keep the wet out. Then cable tied it to the gearbox mount. Job done.

DSCF0602.gif

DSCF0604.gif

DSCF0603.gif

I used 2 lightweight bits of wood to take up the extra space in the box too...

DSCF0605.gif

DSCF0606.gif

DSCF0588.gif

More soon.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Update:

Car had to come off the road for a week, bottom end was letting go fast due to oil pump failure. Was burning 3L's of oil per week, and wasn't driving it a lot either! so decided to park it up on my front garden and leave it. Managed to source another engine though for £100 from a scrap yard in cardiff, about 50 mins away. The cam-belt wasn't snapped and it had good compression and no leaks, so i went over and picked it up. .. 1st thing i did was prime it and paint it after removing most of the rust. ..

DSCF0688.gif

DSCF0689.gif

DSCF0691.gif

DSCF0692.gif

DSCF0693.gif

DSCF0694.gif

DSCF0695.gif

DSCF0696.gif

DSCF0697.gif

DSCF0698.gif

DSCF0699.gif

DSCF0701.gif

Then while that was drying in front of the fire, it was time to start removing my engine and box...

DSCF0700.gif

DSCF0702.gif

DSCF0703.gif

DSCF0704.gif

DSCF0705.gif

DSCF0706.gif

DSCF0708.gif

DSCF0709.gif

Next step was to get the block off the stand, so i could get the gearbox on it for cleaning, then transfer the new clutch of mine and fit the box...

DSCF0710.gif

DSCF0718.gif

While tapping the clutch onto the dowels with a hammer, only gently, i had Epic Male Fail ..

DSCF0717.gif

DSCF0716.gif

Cleaning the box..

DSCF0719.gif

Random pile of bits...

DSCF0720.gif

And the new clean box fitted...

DSCF0721.gif

DSCF0722.gif

DSCF0724.gif

Fitting the head after a major strip down, clean, new stem seals, and rebuild, decided to use my head as i knew it was in top condition!..

DSCF0723.gif

DSCF0725.gif

DSCF0726.gif

(cant remember the reason why i didn't put the rocker in before i bolted the head on, but there was a reason)

Covers on, new aux and cam-belt, timed up, new oil filter, and new plugs..

DSCF0727.gif

DSCF0729.gif

DSCF0730.gif

DSCF0731.gif

DSCF0732.gif

DSCF0733.gif

Used the metal cover from the head that come with the engine, it started and ran like a brand new engine, absolutely perfect, apart from a loud tapping at the top, swapped to my old black cover and it was fine... was obviously catching somewhere...

DSCF0735.gif

DSCF0734.gif

This was as far as i got with the pics, time was cracking on and still had all the wiring and plumbing and liquids to do, and put the shafts back in and build the suspension etc, so didn't take anymore pics.

Outcome was it now runs as sweet as a nut.

For those of you thinking "I thought this was a r5 gtt EFI build?" .. Yes it is, but i had to repair the car to keep me on the road.. now its fixed i can go back to my engine build, and when its done and i have the car ready, I'l put it in.

Main reason for fixing it right now was the amount of smoke coming out the back i knew it wouldn't pass the MOT rapidly approaching. got Tax and MOT on the 1st.

More soon.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Cheers mate! i can do the work no problem, its jut money atm.
Gotta ring a place tomorrow about part time call centre work, I could do All day monday, then nights for tuesday, wed thurs and friday, will have to see :)

When i get regular money coming in, the project will be away! :)

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Update:
Booked the MOT for the 1st, failed on headlight on offside being a different pattern to the near-side, so corrected that, and also failed on the front tires, rotational arrow was wrong on both sides, obviously when i dropped the engine back in i didn't check. Took 10 mins to fix both faults, took it straight back and it passed. Well chuffed. Still running sweet as a nut so i am over the moon! Then went to the post office and got it taxed. Sorted. I now have a working car again!

To get the R5 Gtt engine to run fuel injection you need to use a loom and ECU that will manage it. a Valver loom/ECU is perfect for this. Only problem being is that the ECU is programmed to run the 1.8 16V F7P engine. To overcome this you remove the chip, write your own and solder it in, will then run the engine you want it to. Well i didn't want to solder another chip in its place, incase i want to change the chip one day. So in the end i ordered two 28-pin sockets off ebay for a couple of pence. Next i had to borrow a small soldering iron from my girlfriends father and remove the ROM chip. The ROM chip is the chip that holds the data that runs the engine.

After i had removed this chip i then cleaned the board up a little and soldered the socket in. Took it to the girlfriends where me and Chris (Zoe's father) put the multimeter over it, nothing was shorting or bridging, and all my soldered joints between the socket and the board were passing a strong connection. Perfect.

Next i had to put the ECU back into its case to stop it from getting damaged, and then clean up the original ROM chip that i had removed, there was two reasons for this..

1 - So i can push the standard ROM back into the socket and put the ECU into a running valver, if it runs the car that confirms that my soldering is spot on.

2 - I need to read the data from this chip and duplicate it so i can use it as a starting point, so i can write my own chips (to run the 1.4 8v t25 turbo'd engine.)

After cleaning it up and straightening the pins under heat to stop them snapping, i then pushed the ROM into the second socket i had. then i placed the ROM/socket into the socket i mounted to the board. Only reason i placed it within the second socket was that i had no use for the second socket, and i knew the pins on the socket were a lot stronger than the ones on the ROM.

Next thing i need to do is find someone who owns a valver who would be willing to try my ECU on their car.

Pics of soldering work...

DSCF0641.gif

DSCF0640.gif

DSCF0643.gif

DSCF0647.gif

DSCF0648.gif

DSCF0788.gif

DSCF0792.gif

DSCF0791.gif

DSCF0793.gif

DSCF0801.gif

DSCF0804.gif

DSCF0802.gif

DSCF0803.gif

More soon.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Thanks mate.
Like i said earlier in the thread, if i had a job i would fly through this build :).
Still waiting for someone to Employ me.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Small Update:
One of my friends who i met many years ago from the RTOC forum has a spare GTT head i can borrow as a template for building my manifold which is fantastic news. During his rummage through his garage he also managed to find me a spare standard inlet manifold which he is being very kind and said i can have. When i receive this i plan to chop this up and use the flange that joins to the head. I will then buy 4, 90 degree 5-mm thick Aluminum bends to go between the flange and my plenum which i have designed.

I managed to find one of my brothers unfinished ideas up in the loft today. He bought a manifold from something and decided to chop one of the trumpets off of it, not sure what he planned to do with it, but being as the manifold was now ruined i thought I'd put it to use. I had discovered that it has the same injector bosses as the ones i need to use in my manifold build. I don't want to buy them, and didn't want to make them myself either, so i decided to cut them from this manifold and will weld them onto my 90's between my flange and plenum. Here are some pics of my 2 hours progress. Will file them up nice and smooth tomorrow.

Pics..

DSCF0912.gif

DSCF0913.gif

DSCF0914.gif

DSCF0915.gif

DSCF0916.gif

DSCF0917.gif

DSCF0918.gif

DSCF0919.gif

Thanks for looking.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
£320 with postage on top? i like to do things and be able to say, i designed and build that, all my work.
I dont really have that kinda money just lying around to be able to just buy something like that, so i will make something to better quality that will look original and standard, for cheaper.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
lookin good mate, il have a catch up with you sometime when im not so busy.

did you see that link i posted on yoru fb ? werent any info but may be worth trying to contact him to get a few details etc

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Yeah i did see it matt, cheers for that, think i commented on it. .. shame it was only a picture video, but was still nice to see it has been done :)
Waiting for my dads mate to get back from his 2 month holiday so i can get him to do some welding for me on the manifold :)