ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

:R32

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
As a runaround car and a short lived one what made you go for this over the old shape.?

Just down to running costs and tax really.?

Couple of reasons really:

1. I wasnt looking for a new car, i just bought this as it was cheap. The Mk5 represents very good VFM compared to the MK4.
2. The MK4 whilst looking lovely on the outside, is very dated inside, & quite poor to drive imho. Id just buy a TT3.2.
3. MK5 is a considerably better car than the Mk4, in pretty much everyway, & you get far more toys to play with.

Very impressed so far, my requirements are very different to a couple of years ago, so im now in a position to enjoy a refined hot hatch a little more i feel. I'd go as far as to say that currently i prefer it to the 330i Touring, which was lets be honest, a little too relaxing/old man/family/labrador :eek: I dont need that much space lol. Main bonus is that if you do want to be something other than 100% lazy, the DSG gearbox can be changed manually quickly, as opposed to the 330's uber slow changing slushbox.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
How is the mpg.?

Circa 28-30 at the moment, so im expecting it to be similar to the auto 330/manual M3.

Although gearing wise, it does seem lower at motorway speeds so im finding myself cruising about 5mph lower (75-80 leptons).

Anything over 3k rpm and the mpg seems to drop off quite quickly (like in the M3), whereas the 330i would cruise at intergallictic speeds with barely any drop in fuel economy - especially the 6sp manual version i had briefly last year.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's not. As Dave pointed out inadvertently earlier in the thread.

Nice Mpg figures! :eek:

Z4
Circa 28-30 at the moment, so im expecting it to be similar to the auto 330/manual M3.

Although gearing wise, it does seem lower at motorway speeds so im finding myself cruising about 5mph lower (75-80 leptons).

Anything over 3k rpm and the mpg seems to drop off quite quickly (like in the M3), whereas the 330i would cruise at intergallictic speeds with barely any drop in fuel economy - especially the 6sp manual version i had briefly last year.

I think you're being optimistic with the mpg lol, just noticed how lardy they are, 1540kg!
Im shocked at how good the mpg is on my z4 (same engine as your 330) regardless of how you drive it, impressed!

Glad you're enjoying it so far.

BMW F21 125d
How VW managed to get these to drink as much as the M3 baffles me, the weight is only up 100Kg on the M3. That said, its a lovely car and makes a lovely noise, and with your daily commute your always going to reach high 20's.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
For the doubters:

5f359da1.jpg

Since Monday morning btw, so my usual type of driving :)

A Beautiful R32
I got 34mpg once by leaving the cc on 70 for a four hour drive... Welcome to R32 ownership. Had mine 2 years and still love it. Most people don't get the all round appeal of the car. It does everything so well so ignore the stupid comments... Haters are always gonna hate.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
I got 31.3 on my 9 mile commute this morning, I seen 90mph for a split second.

53 Clio's & counting
When I borrowed one from work when they first come out, I managed 38.2mpg - il admit it was a 55mph drive home, but I will still impressed lol

Turbos.
I get 31mpg at the most from my R with two less cylinders! Although, i suppose it is still tight. Thing is, if i cane it, i still get 27mpg, so prefer to just do tahat...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols. When I get home it'll probably be regular 20's. Motorway wise it's a facking brilliant engine.

Just over quarter tank used and over 200 miles done.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
The light will still work dave. Mine was "empty" when the needle was at half way....

Id keep an eye on the 'miles left to empty' as well then Gally.

1st sign of dashpod failure is a dodgy fuel gauge that doesnt go down properly with usage.
2nd sign of failure is running out of petrol on the way back to Scotland ;)

Lol! Third sign is Kevin sending me a 4am text to say he'd left to go collect it and Durbs wandering up to Scottishlands to set his new car on fire... x

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Nah it's fine. Just remembered there was petrol in the car before I brimmed it. Makes sense. My boss has made my mpg plummet whilst making good progress.... upside is the boss just topped the tank up again. Winning!

Nah it's fine. Just remembered there was petrol in the car before I brimmed it. Makes sense. My boss has made my mpg plummet whilst making good progress.... upside is the boss just topped the tank up again. Winning!

I did wonder how you were typing and driving. Turner will be along in a minute to say it's because there is no steering feel, so you can just do it with your knees... or something to that effect.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I hope for your sake when you finally buy a house you can live in it for more than a few months without wanting to move :p Be warned - stamp duty is nobody's friend.

Nice work on the VW by the way R32 > BMW Touring (unless M5)

Trophy #490
I like these. Great colour choice as well! What's the situation with your private plate? I'm selling my Rallye and mine's still got its private plate on, but I've heard it's an absolute nightmare to swap back to the car's original with regards to time. Naturally, I thought you were the best person to ask given your obsession with swapping cars!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I hope for your sake when you finally buy a house you can live in it for more than a few months without wanting to move :p Be warned - stamp duty is nobody's friend.

Nice work on the VW by the way R32 > BMW Touring (unless M5)

He wont be able to buy a place that has Stamp duty when he finishes buying cars ;)

Iceberg 172 Cup
Its nice and all that and i appreciate its probably built well, but.....

damn, it's boring. (imo)

:/ bet its nice to drive but defo doesn't have a wow factor. Why not an EVO if you wanted a quick, 5 door car?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Because he's not a 19 year old chav?

I'm not sure I get the boring thing. Then again i'm not "racing driver".

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

damn, it's boring. (imo)

:/ bet its nice to drive but defo doesn't have a wow factor. Why not an EVO if you wanted a quick, 5 door car?

Because driving an Evo to work makes you look like a tyre fitter that deals drugs.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

damn, it's boring. (imo)

I wouldnt necessarily says its boring, perhaps just a little more 'mature' than the usual choices of CS users - I am however, considerably older than most CS members lol. For me, the MK5 R32 is aimed at those that still wish to have a 'hot hatch' but need something a little more luxurious/prestigious to match their career/life choices. Its a good middle ground between semething like a Megane R26 and a 330i i think.

Perhaps ive just grown out of needing something i need to wow over every morning, but still appreciate a car that hints at speed (to those in the know) and sounds nice when you do occasionally boot it :eek: Id also look like an utter bellend if i turned up to a meeting in an Evo lol.

I think people are confusing 'boring' with 'not for chavs'

I'd have one, fo sho. But I am getting old now.

Drafted an advert for it yet?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Rolf.

The boring comments usually come from people who will own one in the next 2 years when they realise driving about in a clio with an exhaust at 118db isn't actually a good thing anymore.... Dave for want of a better example. ;)

Z4
I think people are confusing 'boring' with 'not for chavs'

I'd have one, fo sho. But I am getting old now.

Generally, hot hatches are for chavs though. The only other car I'd put in the same category as the r32 is a Mazda 3 mps, the styling is very subtle which many will deem as dull and boring.

It's hardly going to get the neighbours jealous for instance.

Maybe I should have said 'don't look like a chav' instead.

It's got some power but it's subtle. Dave isn't going to turn up to his spreadsheet meetings in a bright yellow Evo or something. Lol.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Generally, hot hatches are for chavs though. The only other car I'd put in the same category as the r32 is a Mazda 3 mps, the styling is very subtle which many will deem as dull and boring.

It's hardly going to get the neighbours jealous for instance.

Really? :S

Evo 5 RS
Plus Evos are ridiculously expensive to run for a four pot. Much rather the Golf. I don't think they're boring, it's nice to be able to get in a car and get there without having back spasms or being deaf occasionally. I've been looking at phaetons just because of how cheap they are at the moment for a daily. Bit different, init

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Not something i'd call boring either personally. Having driven one and been a passenger in a few i'd say they're a good compromise between sensible and keen, when you need it to be.

And regardless what anyone says, they are quicker than 1*2's.