ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R Sport ECU - my thoughts

Since there has been a large number of posts about the R Sport ltd ECU (Group N’ ECU, hill power ECU) I thought id give my findings.

When I first got the ECU fitted I did think it made it slightly faster and have better throttle response (all in my head) however about a month ago I had to get it removed as my car was intermittently cutting out 5k-6k so had to go back to Renault. Since then I have driven the car hard and can truthfully say I can’t tell any difference apart from the obvious lower limiter (never felt 100% right revving it to 7800 rpm always wondering if it was going to go bangJ)

When I had the chip I had a race with The_GZA (Cup – ktec exhaust) from 30-110 ish and pulled on him in 3rd a wee bit then when I put it in 4th he pulled about half a car on me. Another interesting race I had was with my bros old 172, I used to eaaaak away from him however when I used to go over the 7250 standard limiter he said he could see himself eaking back on me ever so slightly until I changed gear and got back into the meat of the next gear. He used to be able to tell as soon as I was over revving as I instantly stopped eeaaking away from him!!! Because lets face it the ECU may make it hold its power up high but it’s not going to be better than being in the correct gear with FULL power available.

On the plus side the ECU does let you hold the revs for longer when cornering, meaning you don’t have to upset the car by changing gear mid corners and can keep accelerating to the 7800 limit.

Neil

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

sorry to interupt your post neil.parts computer at work wouldnt give me a part number for the ecu cover so ive got to ring the national parts centre about it.will do it this week,just thought i would tell you so you know i havent forgot.sorry mate.

jay

Right now all its got on it are a green panel filter, going to order either a Scorpion 4" single or a Magnex 3.5"x2 when my over time cash comes in, may also get a de-cat at same time.

VaVa

I dont much about these things ( im slowly learning!!), but maybe the car would perform better were the ECU coupled with some kind of (sealed) induction kit and a free flowing exhaust.???? Just a thought.

Possible but I doubt it, the non chipped car will run just as well with de-cat,viper and exhaust... If you want a chip to work with other mods get a unichip there is no comparison.

Embarrassed to say

I have become addicted to the higher rev limit. The needle seems to jump to the redline in a flash.

I know the chip is a bugger to take out is well. Good points bad points i suppose.

Am i going to blow my engine up eventually? How strong is this engine?