ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question for metal minded...

Ex 182 owner
Sorry if this is the wrong section but figured the actual racers might have the answers I need.

What I want to do it remove the seat runners from the car and replace with metal, ideally aluminium, strips. As thin as possible. To this I am then going to mount the trophy recaro subframes and then seats.

It's not going to give me a huge drop I know. I don't need much, I have just fitted Sportsters and find them mildly too heigh.
I may even combine with @JON FOZ frames to get a furth drop.

The question is there for..
What spec of aluminium and what thickness would folks think is suitable/safe or should I use steel?

Cheers
Chris

Ex 182 owner
Hi @andy_con ,
That's why I wanted to ask. I have no experience of these things and know there are plenty of people who do.

@alistairolsen , an suggestions on who thick or the grade required?
I am 6ft 2 so would need to extend the metal to be far enough back as per if you set the seat runners max back.

Chris

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
So if you are removing the sliders do you plan on not having any seat adjustment forward or back ?

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
Post a pic of the base of your seats and your current adaptors you are using

Hi @andy_con ,
That's why I wanted to ask. I have no experience of these things and know there are plenty of people who do.

@alistairolsen , an suggestions on who thick or the grade required?
I am 6ft 2 so would need to extend the metal to be far enough back as per if you set the seat runners max back.

Chris

Normally there are a couple of options/ My car has these sort of things, which the previous owner installed:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfo...ult/clio-98-05-172/omp-tailored-seat-subframe
They are 3mm thick and obviously made with angle and such to minimise flat bar, but one of mine has still cracked.

The proper way is this sort of thing:
DSCF7836.jpg

Which is lighter and nicer but a fair amount more work.

Beyond that you need to think about where the load goes and how you're going to transfer it without bending the mounts.

Ex 182 owner
Correct Jon, fixed position. Will leave the passenger side standard. It's not a car I ever intend to have rear passengers in even though it is still a road car. The passenger seat is only staying so as not too look to mental..

Figure the 10mm I gain from your mounts over trophy ones plus say another 2cm from losing the rails should be bang on. I prefer an upright position for my back but currently have a small leg clearance issue with the wheel.

If this causes mot issues? Don't know if it does then will put the usual rails back in for that.

Ex 182 owner
Cheers Alastair,
The proper way is probably a step too modded for the car. If it was a stripped track car then in a heart beat.
Looked at the omp/cobra option the other day, obv track cars loose the pretensioners mounts. I still need to keep it. The cobra one looked like an option as I could re drill it for recaro alignment. But there pretensioners design won't fit without raising the seat on some rails as they do .

John, my recaros come with mini subframes built on, which you then mount on frames such as your versions. So are base mounted like trendlines but have full length rails rather than just points on the seat to bolt to.

So basically have fitted directly into the trophy..
But a little too high for knees/wheel.

t120sports6_zpsqvmncvw4.jpg