ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Q for engine builders regarding piston cooler jets.

Handbuilt 172 Cup/ 1.2 8v
Hi,

I sent a block away to be dishwasher cleaned and honed, the piston cooler jets had to be bent out of the way so the honing tool could fit the entire length of the bore, renault suply new jets for around £10 each, but do you recon they could be bent back without breaking, and reliably run in the engine under the oil pressure?
Also, if i decide to change them, anybody any advise on the best way to remove and refit new ones? (i think they are just pressed in right?)
Cheers
Tom

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
you can bend them a little, but like any ductile metal it will eventually break.. care should be taken and if in doubt replace

Andy

Lionel Richie
you can block them off, the Renault Sport race engines had them blocked off, not sure why as i'm not an engine builder!

ITB'd MK1
you can block them off, the Renault Sport race engines had them blocked off, not sure why as i'm not an engine builder!

oil pressure. I'd say it's an attempt to get higher pressure at the crank. Swings and roundabouts, you lose piston cooling so depends what the engine's built for.

Probably fine for most NA applications if you block them off, but i'd 100% want the pistons cooled for boost

2005 Nissan Navara
They can be an arse to remove, and will likely break if you try...destroy them and fit new ones works well!

I wouldnt bend them at all, they are likely to crack when straightened even if its not visible, and the last thing you want is one coming apart when the engine is running.

Dont see the logic in blocking them off really, then again the cup race engines were pretty standard and likely no harm will be seen on the power they (dont) run.