ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 Engine in a 1.2

strad

ClioSport Club Member
  Arctic 182
Hi Guys - firstly apologies for the length and if this has been covered before on the forum (please point me towards it if that's the case).

My 1.2 MK2 (8v) Clio timing belt failed on the M8 at 60mph and had to be recovered by the AA. My mechanic has suggested replacing the engine and sourcing a new belt kit due to bent valves. He did offer to work on valves but said it will require many man hours.

My thoughts were that I would take this opportunity to put something a bit more powerful in the car if this is possible.

My questions:

Would fitting a 2.0 be advisable?
What kind of labour/additional parts would be required?
What's the best way to approach my insurance company for this?

If this is a silly idea and/or a ton of work I'd be happy to stick with a like-for-like replacement.

If someone has done this on the forum I'd be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys...

It's more hassle than it's worth in the majority of CS' opinions. Dropping a replacement 1.2 in and either flogging it on or keeping it would be your best bet and getting something quicker at a later date. A replacement engine of the same size will just drop straight in there without much hassle and going through your insurance/DVLA etc. to let them know it's now a 2.0.

320d
As above. A really clean 182 can be had for £ 2,500 now. The conversion would cost more, plus insurance etc is a ball ache with converted cars a lot of the time.

strad

ClioSport Club Member
  Arctic 182
Thanks for the responses guys, some really good advice.

So I gather now it's not a case of just dropping a bigger engine in. I will stick with the 1.2 for now...

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

ClioSport Trader
  Renault 5
Hi Guys - firstly apologies for the length and if this has been covered before on the forum (please point me towards it if that's the case).

My 1.2 MK2 (8v) Clio timing belt failed on the M8 at 60mph and had to be recovered by the AA. My mechanic has suggested replacing the engine and sourcing a new belt kit due to bent valves. He did offer to work on valves but said it will require many man hours.

My thoughts were that I would take this opportunity to put something a bit more powerful in the car if this is possible.

My questions:

Would fitting a 2.0 be advisable?
What kind of labour/additional parts would be required?
What's the best way to approach my insurance company for this?

If this is a silly idea and/or a ton of work I'd be happy to stick with a like-for-like replacement.

If someone has done this on the forum I'd be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys...
Hi,
If you have any problems with insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.