ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Push button start....INSTALLED!

BMW X5

Took bout 2hours to do, see pic below...

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1105729125__untitled.jpg

This is the relay u get with it....

a: ignition live

b: Starter positive

c: not used

d: constant earth (neg)

e: Ignition live

The hardest bit was getting to the bloody wires under the dash. U dont have to remove any of the steering colomn, jus pop out the little bit where u can change the light angle (small grey square) and u can see all the wires there.

Ull see a bunch of wires going into another block. U need to find the orange wire coming into the box, and cut it when it comes out....this wire will now be white. Cut this and then connect the other end to your wires to your new relay.

Strip your ignition wire from the same place....it is the wire that starts off being yellow with a green stripe and goes into plain yellow. Make sure u get the right one, as there are two. Create a T join by jus strippin back the old wire and joining and soldering the new one on.

Run both these wires to where u want your button and find an earth, this doesnt have to be great, as is jus for the LED, not the starter motor...

Make sure the wireu use for the starter motor is as thick as the wire u are replacing.....its pretty thick.

Then jus drill hole, pop in and connect up.

U have to open the car as usual with the blip etc, take steering lock off with key, but as soon as u click it into ignition (which is what u need to do to get the lock off neway) the button lights up and u jus press and VA VA VOOOOOM!!

Its wicked feelin starting yr car from a button i tell ya!! Feels like yr in a Ferrari!! LOL

Anyway....theres my guide, any questions fire away!

Dave

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

aye! where did you get it from, how much and does it come in orange! :D

Da

Less

Quote: Originally posted by Liam182 on 14 January 2005

nice look, hows it work then, linked to alarm/immob etc?
this is wot i wanna know too...do you still have to put key in ignition? How does it affect Reno immobiliser etc?? Does it mean if someone was to break into your car they could just start it?

BMW X5

No, u have to put the key in....mainly to get the steerin lock off.

Then turn it to electrics, once uv done this uv bypassed the immobiliser with the key. The button then lights up and u press it!

If someone breaks in its no harder...easier to nick yr car as the immobiliser still works and the button is stuck in so they cant get to the wires.

Its quite discreete from the outside neway...u cant really see it well where it is from the outide.

Dave

BMW X5

Quote: Originally posted by phunkey_monkeh on 15 January 2005

Nice.

I suppose you could change the LED to any colour you want.

Unfortunately im hopeless with electronics.
I suppose u could....but the button is a sealed unit so if u open it u mite break it!!

Dave

Quote: Originally posted by Daz_2427 on 15 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Liam182 on 14 January 2005

nice look, hows it work then, linked to alarm/immob etc?
this is wot i wanna know too...do you still have to put key in ignition? How does it affect Reno immobiliser etc?? Does it mean if someone was to break into your car they could just start it?
No, all the button replaces is the final twist of the key that turns the starter. You still need to turn the key to switch the ignirion on, and still need the key to be in the ignition to dis-arm the immobiliser.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Presumably you can still start the car with the key yeah?

Reckon you could make a living fitting those mate :D

BMW X5

No u cant start the car with the key.

If u think bout electricity like water...... If u have the connection splitting to the button AND the key then u loose power cause it will flow to all places....and to turn the starter u need such high power u cant do it....i tried at first but it jus wouldnt turn over.

Lets jus hope it dont go wrong or ill be hot wiring my own car!!

Clio 1.4, SV650S

strange would have thought if it was wired in parralell you could use either the key OR the button.

Polo + Micra

i wouldnt have thought that the power of the starter motor would go through the ignition barrel.

to be honest it sounds like you have not wired it correctly if you cannot start it with the key IMO

BMW X5

In the instructions it actually STATES not to connect to both cause of the load passing thru it.

As i said, i tried to do it both ways, but it was having none of it.

U may be able to do it using another relay or sommat?

I also asked the technition that works at the A1 motorstore where i used to work and he advised not to do it?

U prob can do it, but didnt wanna risk it.

Dave

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Dink on 15 January 2005

i wouldnt have thought that the power of the starter motor would go through the ignition barrel.

to be honest it sounds like you have not wired it correctly if you cannot start it with the key IMO
lol... it cant do... what currnet do you reckon a starter motor pulls?? 50A maybe??!! It must be relayed somewhere surely????

Polo + Micra

id say the starter motor would pull about 100A.

so it must only be what it takes to close the relay that goes through the barrel which it probably 1A Max.

surely the start part is only a switch in the barrel, so the relay should be in parallel with that. which would make it able to use the key or the switch.