ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Protecting freshly powdercoated wheels?

Yep without tyres and already sandblasted :) they charged me £70!

I'll get some closeups today for you!

And I already knew I shouldnt have put them on, but I couldn't resist them over my boring 182 wheels it was just impatence, I don't mind taking them off to do a proper job so that's ok.

And to gally, bah when I looked it was more than the C5, around the same as the Nanolex, I guess I looked in the wrong place :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I went for the C5 over the products you mentioned purely on price!

An extra £10 is alot of essentially the same thing (when it's already £22 for 15ml), I've already heard of the Gtechniq stuff so knew they're already highly rated and haven't heard of any of the others so for me it was a no brainer :p

They currently have the Poorboys on which is working well, they bead well. And once I get the Gtechniq I'll strip them and use that.[/QUOTE]

For the sake of not having the wheels fitted for a week and taking 30minutes for C5 application knowing there will be no real contaminant on them, you've jumped in becuase you 'just can't resist', spent 30minutes applying a super inferior product, and will now have 60-90minutes maybe more for application of C5. lets hope you do it properly otherwise C5 won't last.

If you'd have ordered it when you started the thread it would have been here by now

No s**t, I've already said that I could have waited but chose not to. I said I couldn't order it until this wednesday which was why I ordered it yesterday (not Wednesday but I was busy). I really couldn't care less it will take me more time to do them, I have all the stuff required to do it so it really makes no difference as to when I do them.

7655917774_b4dec112dd_c.jpg

Renaultsport Clio 182 Speedline Turini's by matthew-evans, on Flickr

7655918242_d3a3582e72_c.jpg

Renaultsport Clio 182 Speedline Turini's by matthew-evans, on Flickr

There's two wheels (in the sun) for you JD, if you right click on the picture (once you're on flickr) you can view the original size for full detail or whatever!

At this angle and with the camera you can really tell the colour difference in the centre caps, but when looking at them normally they look like a really good match, and they're good enough for me!

Pretty good finish. This colour will clearly show up imperfections more than silver, but still looks a hell of a lot better than my current silver circles.

Yeah, i mean to any _REAL_ keen detailer there are a few imperfections - some of the "silver" mix seems to be floating on the top layer and is noticable in some lights, but as a whole they're awesome.

But hey, depends how anal you are and how close you stare at them :p

Well as I say, unless you're 2cm away from the wheel they're absolutely perfect :)

City's value for money is extrmeely good, perhaps my statement about the imperfections above is a bit of an overstatement to be honest, if you're at CSS feel free to take a look!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
So whats the difference? I usually pay around £40 a wheel?

I presume theres more prep involved with the dearer prices?

I see 1000s of powdercoated wheels, because it's what my parents do to keep a roof over our heads.

I also get to see the piss poor efforts these £1 per inch pirates do too ;)

Have you got an example of piss poor vs good results, Gaz? No idea what I'm looking for with powder coating. I've only ever had paint.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I paid £240 for my 16" VW / BBS montreals to be dip stripped and powdercoated by a place that was highly recommended to me, and I'm not that impressed with the finish at all.

Would rather pay for them to be sprayed in future

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The difference in spraying and powder-coating is night and day but then again so it the price.

PC always looks rougher/coarser mettalic so to speak.

A decent sprayed wheel will look epic if done right. One of our recent ones... (Tyres can't be removed)

5773afd6-bcd8-6c60.jpg

5773afd6-bce6-2d11.jpg

5773afd6-bcf6-e308.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Ballache with pressure sensors and other things. Audi advised us not to remove them, it's off a TTRS so has all manner of s**t inside them. Customer didn't want them off either right enough. Don't blame him.

225 Cup & Williams
They look brilliant. That's the kind of finish you will never get with powdercoat. Every set of wheels I've had powder coated always have an orange peel finish.

SQ5
Cheers Gally, makes a lot of sense.

I'd always taken tyres off to spray wheels and thought I was missing a trick somewhere!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Not at all mate. 95% of tyres come off in our place, you also have to have major confidence in the people refitting the tyres!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Either or mate, we prefer just wheels but you can leave the car with us mate and we'll whip them off. Lot quicker just to bring the wheels in. Hope the RR day went well. Gaz's car made nice numbers!

SQ5
Not at all mate. 95% of tyres come off in our place, you also have to have major confidence in the people refitting the tyres!

Tell me about it.

I didn't have enough time to spray my Missus wheels so got my dad to powder coat them at work. She took it to a place near her dads work and they chipped it!

I know a couple of guys who are good locally so it's usually not too bad!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Our tyre changer would just have laughed! Can't be an easy job fitting rubber band sized tyres back on.

Happens too often though sadly, bit of talent involved.

225 Cup & Williams
Either or mate, we prefer just wheels but you can leave the car with us mate and we'll whip them off. Lot quicker just to bring the wheels in. Hope the RR day went well. Gaz's car made nice numbers!

Would probably need to leave the car with you as I've not got any wheels to put on it. RR was good Gaz's ST made nice figures for having just an exhaust and map, wish the meganes were as easy to tune lol.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Haha! I know nothing about the megs! :eek:

Yeah we could whip the wheels off mate if need be.

Have you got an example of piss poor vs good results, Gaz? No idea what I'm looking for with powder coating. I've only ever had paint.

A good PC will have as little orange peel effect as possible (it'll never be glass smooth like paint though). These cheap places just slap it on after a rough as hell blast, so it looks a right dog.