ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Protecting freshly powdercoated wheels?

So I've just got some wheels powdercoated, the finish is absolutely perfect.

Now they obviously won't need a Polish, but am I ok to apply some Poorboy's Wheel Sealant and they should be good to fit?

I don't really have any other stuff apart from cleaners but got this sealant a few weeks ago!

Matt

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Personally I wouldn't bother with anything unless it's a ceramic sealant mate. They will just fade after a few weeks of heavy braking.

Get something like Gtechniq C5 or Cquartz sealant aftre they are refurbed.

Ahh ok, yeah that's true!

Would it be worth putting the poorboy's on at least until I get some C5? That won't be until next Wednesday at the minimum!

Said wheels:

pnpv5.jpg

Call me a sheep, I don't care - they're awesome :p

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
They are awesome. Of course put some poorboys on them but I would leave them off until I got the right sealant. So much easier to do and they'll be protected for so long!

Mental 172 Cup
Had my wheels done exactly the same colour, got my tyres fitted then cleaned them and applied Gtechniq C5 before they even did a turn on the car.. Have stayed nice so far.

I would have waited for the C5 before fitting them, but I'm impatient :D

Will put some pics up later! I've used Poorboy's for now and when I get C5 i'll do a proper prep and application for it!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Really? order now and it'll be with you by mid week at the latest. For the sake of less than a week you'd rather waste time applying poorboys sealant, then wash, de tar, de iron, dry, IPA then apply? I did it a wheel at a time and from start to finish was spending maybe an hour a wheel. then there is the drying / curing time before you put them back on!

I got my wheels powdercoated a few weeks back, as soon as the tyres were on had them all in the lounge (nice and clean so the wife couldn't complain) gave them a quick IPA wipedown and straight onto C5. few hours later they were on the car.

I see that decision as truely false economy.

172 + 1.2
I had a set of wheels powdercoated white on an old car, never put anything on them, ran them for a year and with a bit of polish they came up as good as new even the insides - dont worry too much about them, powdercoat is tough stuff!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I wrote out, then deleted and re wrote, wanted to ignore it but just couldn't.

Why anyone would want grubby wheels for a year, then have to polish them instead of just sealing and forgetting is beyond me

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty much mate. It'll protect the colour from fading and the break dust won't eat into the lacquer.

In most cases you can clean with a gentle shampoo after sealing.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah. The worst thing you can do is fit them then seal them. Arse about face!

172 + 1.2
Poor advice that doesn't really add anything to the subject imo

Obviously i washed the outsides, my point was that you dont have to worry about powdercoat as much as paint and that after a year mine came up as good as new even without a sealant or whatever on them

Not all of us have the time or willing to clean inside of their wheels every week, the fact they cleaned up like new with a bit of polish shows how hard wearing powdercoating can be, especially in white!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Maybe you did have but I've never seen a powder coated wheel that could resist the 300'C + temperature of brake yet. And I didn't think a polishing compound would remove iron, hence why we all use ironx

The reason to sealing wheels properly is so that you don't need to clean the wheels weekly.

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
Maybe you did have but I've never seen a powder coated wheel that could resist the 300'C + temperature of brake yet.

Going to play devils advocate here, if a hard powdercoat finish cannot withstand "300'C+ of brake (dust)" how can adding a thin coat of sealant make any difference?

...following on from this, I'm going to order some C5 now, where is the best play to buy it from, direct?

Also I've noticed it's quite a small quantity, and assume this is fine for at least one set of wheels?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Going to play devils advocate here, if a hard powdercoat finish cannot withstand "300'C+ of brake (dust)" how can adding a thin coat of sealant make any difference?

It just can. Research it.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Clean your car or Gtechniq. If you google Gtechniq C5 I think it might just help find somewhere.

I personally wouldn't buy it only because I don't like the new range. Nanolex or Cquartz would be my choice.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Premium or professional range of nanolex for the paint and alloy seal gally?

Im interested in trying it out however there is quite a difference in price.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the price is a lot. Either or mate. The premium range is very good. The paint and wheel ones are the same product. ;)

Buy Cquartz and do your wheels and paint! ;)

I see you took out advice then...

I went for the C5 over the products you mentioned purely on price!

An extra £10 is alot of essentially the same thing (when it's already £22 for 15ml), I've already heard of the Gtechniq stuff so knew they're already highly rated and haven't heard of any of the others so for me it was a no brainer :p

They currently have the Poorboys on which is working well, they bead well. And once I get the Gtechniq I'll strip them and use that.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You put the wheels on though. That's just a ball ache!

Addicted, did you take your wheels to CPC without tyres? This deal was running years ago when I was closer. My wheels are shot and I'm seriously considering taking them up there from London for the sake of £20 per wheel. What's the finish like? Any close ups?