ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pros and cons to a 197

ValverInBits
I understand what he is saying about pro’s and cons. I didnt go for full Climate Control on my Corsa VXR because I really didn’t want it.
I only use it on my 172FF a few times a year and I never used it properly. If I was hot I’d just turn it down to “mini” and blast for a few mins and if hot up to “max” and blast.

It actually annoyed me when I first got the 172. I much prefer to have instant cold or hot air. Not driving along and setting the temp,---down, down, down, down, down, down. Fan speed – up,up,up,up,up,up to max. Much prefer to just twist a switch and for cold or hot.

although its seen as a lower spec

That's a thinking man there! Head firmly scewed on.
Old school wins agen:cool:

clio 182,ff + 1.5 dci
Pros: nice car

Cons: Corsa vxr nicer.

oh cummon now. Lets not start on the 'haul

Ha Ha lol.

I love my 182 its awsome but if i bought a 197 i think i would always think to myself should i have bought the vxr. I think it looks better, its got the whole turbo thing and is so easy to get massive bhp gains in comparrison.
But thats just what i think.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
I understand what he is saying about pro’s and cons. I didnt go for full Climate Control on my Corsa VXR because I really didn’t want it.
I only use it on my 172FF a few times a year and I never used it properly. If I was hot I’d just turn it down to “mini” and blast for a few mins and if hot up to “max” and blast.

It actually annoyed me when I first got the 172. I much prefer to have instant cold or hot air. Not driving along and setting the temp,---down, down, down, down, down, down. Fan speed – up,up,up,up,up,up to max. Much prefer to just twist a switch and for cold or hot.

That's a thinking man there! Head firmly scewed on.
Old school wins agen:cool:

I wouldn’t say im old school but I had astra before the clio and found the clio fiddly. Climate control is used to keep the temp constant, I never used it that way so didn’t need it on my corsa.

Mustang, S13, AX GT

I agree about the climate, the 172 seems to be better equipped as standard which is frustrating but I see it as the way car sales are going to go now for new cars

Mark 1 Clio V6
oh cummon now. Lets not start on the 'haul

Ha Ha lol.

I love my 182 its awsome but if i bought a 197 i think i would always think to myself should i have bought the vxr. I think it looks better, its got the whole turbo thing and is so easy to get massive bhp gains in comparrison.
But thats just what i think.

No accounting for taste.
Corsa VXR looks like a ram raid through Halfords gone wrong.

No doubting the turbo and the tuning capability, but it's a bit lairy - more so than the Astra VXR (which is a car I owned for a few months).

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Cons;

Standard 2 speaker stereo

SERIOUSLY?

i thought it had back speakers as well, crikey beans!

Cups dont have rear speakers, normal and R27's do ;)

After having a 172 Cup (awesome) and a 182 (not so) for over 3yrs combined.......

Pros
Sounds supurb as standard, grips like nothing i've driven. Nice short throw on the gearbox, nice solid feel. Build. Non melting steering wheel ;) Nice low driving posision, awesome standard seats.... much much better than any MK2 RS Clio.....Looks, nice and wide......... diffuser is a nice touch also.

Cons
Fuel consumption..... mid 27's in mine, Kangaroo effect when cold, seems worse than the 172/182. Over revving @ 70 :( Needs a 7th lol

Thats it really. Love mine :) Looks supurb now lowered on its coilovers, proper presence :evil:

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
can someone will be in with reliability?

My dad had a Renault Senic couple of years back and twise a month it went to the garage with something broken. i hope Clios are a bit more sturdy?

Anyone had any problems?

Black Gold with cup packs
I have owned three Renaultsports and the only problem I have ever had was on my 172 the boot central locking went, it cost me £55 to get repaired. As long as you get them serviced when it says (same with any car) you should experience a trouble free car.

Normal 197 don't have rear speakers as standard.

Oh and regarding my 22.9 MPG - Yes it gets well driven.... Looking forward to booting it around the airstrip in Devon this Sunday. Especially after driving the 1.4 RT all week!

Clio 197 R27
pro's
it built quality
looks better than the older models
handling and the brakes are exceptional
rarety not seen many 197 on the road at the moment especially LY
price
keyless entry

Cons
recaro seats freying (not mine thankfully)
door handle position poor
MPG poor mine at 25 to 32 at the moment dependant on driving but i didn't but it to worry about the economy.

with regards to the door handle position....

does anyone know if its possible to swap the door cards for the updated Cup ones so its easier to shut the door?

or will it not fit?

C

Clio_Craig

has anyone got any slight difference in colour on some body panels on their 197's

i found that with the 197, the alarm is not as loud from the outside.. but from the inside i think its loud

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
anyone with any Videos of 197's. wanna hear the sound of them with someone giving it some pasty

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Normal 197 don't have rear speakers as standard.

Oh and regarding my 22.9 MPG - Yes it gets well driven.... Looking forward to booting it around the airstrip in Devon this Sunday. Especially after driving the 1.4 RT all week!

Mine does?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Ah Cabasse 6 disk...... i purchased it used. Options i have are, folding mirrors, tints, cornering lamps, and now apparently a stereo upgrade?!

Learn something new everyday. :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Its a good system, just going to change the speakers to something with better build tbh, hense why i knew it had rears, as i had a look at the weekend lol

C

Clio_Craig

my dads albi blue, has a slight difference in colour, wat can be done about it? worth speakin to renault?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
So does mine, just one of those things tbh...... Front and rear bumpers can in some lights look a different shade.

03 Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique
Is there considerably more room in the rear seats for passangers, and is the boot bigger than on the 1x2's?

Black 197
doesnt it have back speakers?

Some good info there guys. What does it sound like standard and is it easy to put like a K & N airfilter or something on?

Im gonna start another thread with insurance related questions.

cheers

oh dear

Pros:

- Looks: proper wide-arch stance like the 16V / Williams; subtle and purposeful, will attract the more mature eye
- Engine: a lot more torquey throughout the range than people would have you belive - we're just used to TD's now, that's all
- Handling: stunning; a genuine advance in any old hot Clio's ace area and has to be driven hard to believe
- Quality: perceived and substance; interior is very good
- Braking / safety: second to none in the class?

Cons:

- Invites comparison with bigger cars (e.g. Focus ST, CTR)
- Weight: will naturally blunt the addiitonal performance on offer
- Equipment: stingy compared to Ph2 172 and 182; will probably get better over time
- Fuel consumption: reasonable given performance, but - again - people expect more in light of modern diesels.

clio 197, mazda rx7
i cant believe you guys are complaining bout the fuel consumption, i thought it was good for the performance of the car, also have to agree with the crappy standard sounds, i have a normal 197 and yes the steering feels to light at low speeds imo.
the handling is brilliant in mine so the f1 and cup can only be better!!

all in all i think its an awsome car and well worth getting considering my other car is a mazda rx7 which is for sale btw (now that seriously has BAD fuel consumption lol)

White clique
just a new Pro i discovered on the 197 whilst washing it - and it may seem minor but one day it will come in handy - the front lower splitter is actually a very soft rubber, so you wont scrape it going up or down those steep carpark ramps!