ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pros and cons to a 197

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
Could you add your bit from your expricences with the 197 or R27.

Pros

Cons

Cheers

White clique
This is a personal opinion based upon what i look for in a car....

Pros - more refinement; much better spec compared to 182; still fairly rare
cons - poor fuel efficeincy, steering feel not the best (standard 197)

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
thinking of buying a Clio jagger?

you're also on ZSOC aren't you

I am mate yeah. The Zs isnt quick enough now. had my fun with it and need something a little more powerful. looked at the ST but ford are a set of T*ats so gonna try a renault.

Fuel is a big thing for me i do loads of town miles.

Cheers soo far

i have a R27...

PROS:

Awesome brakes, soooo much grip, brilliant damping, a jekyll and hyde engine, nice interior, cool recaros, oh and the looks.

cons:

aweful fuel economy (abt 26mpg average), fraying recaro seats, kangarooing when engine is cold, paintwork very suseptible to stonechips.

meg1.6
pro's
what jagger said + the standard seats are better than the recaros imo

cons
the door handle !

Broken Diesel Megane :(
pros - looks, far better build quality, recaros, steering wheel, levels of grip, still a bit rare (at least I haven't seen many, maybe due to the cons)

cons - interior door handle is about 4 inches too far away from the reach of any human being! so you end up nearly ripping it from the door! the kangarooing when cold was an issue, but seems to have stopped with mine. not enough torque in the engine to give you the urgency that a hot hatch should have. and the depreciation is horrific.

Meg 250/E36 Touring
Pros;

Sound
Handling
Gearbox
Seats (recaros)

Cons;

Standard 2 speaker stereo
Lack of reach adjustment on steering wheel (cup)

Depreciation isn't horrific. You just have to buy well and get a good deal.

Interior door handle is poorly positioned (as mentioned) and fuel economy is dire.
22.9MPG currently in my R27.

Mark 1 Clio V6
I have a 197 Cup.

Pro's:

Looks; seats (recaro's); sound; handling is simply awesome; door handles are sorted.

Cons; Fuel economy ain't the best (although it is 5mpg better than my old Focus ST, so I'm happy enough with it); attracting boy racers; potential for Renault style reliability issues (not had any yet - touch wood).

The pro's hugely outweigh the cons IMO.

Ford Fiesta Mk6 Zetec S
doesnt it have back speakers?

Some good info there guys. What does it sound like standard and is it easy to put like a K & N airfilter or something on?

Im gonna start another thread with insurance related questions.

cheers

when u in the upper reaches of the rev ranges it sounds incredible.

Personally, i'd like a bit more throatiness lower down, but its good for some days when u can drive it normally when u not in the mood. then, when u want to properly drive it, it sounds like proper high reving race car.

i have an ITG filter on my, piss easy to fit, jus remove the cover and swap.

doesn't really make a difference TBH, but never needs replacing.

it does sound good for standard, but as above, would want a bit more growl lower down. IK looks like a pain in the arse to do tbh, but its certainly manageable.

^^^^

have u thought abt a yozzasport exhaust darren, heard one the other day and it gives the 197 a nice rumble when manouvering at low speeds. Kinda reminded me of a V8 merc amg.

contemplating one myself, but worried it'll make motorway drivin unbearable.

^^^^

have u thought abt a yozzasport exhaust darren, heard one the other day and it gives the 197 a nice rumble when manouvering at low speeds. Kinda reminded me of a V8 merc amg.

contemplating one myself, but worried it'll make motorway drivin unbearable.

yes, and now they have been reduced it is even more tempting!

And there's me thinking the 182 came fully loaded with climate, xenons, rain sensors, leather/alcantara etc and the 197 all of these were cost options...

ValverInBits

How is the spec better? I dont see?

Yeah....beaten to it

White clique

Yeah....beaten to it
oh yeah i forgot the 182 came with keyless entry, folding mirrors, 6 speed gear box and push start button ;)

ValverInBits

Yeah....beaten to it
oh yeah i forgot the 182 came with keyless entry, folding mirrors, 6 speed gear box and push start button ;)

That great six speed gearbox that does 8billion RPM at 65 in 6th (until the revision), and the push start button which represents poor design as you now have 2 switches to go wrong.

I refuse to be tempted by pointless options.

White clique
Folding mirrors a cost option?
they are. £150 i think. But this is why in my original post i said my preferenced were based upon what i look for in a car and the gadgets i like. I'm not really fussed about leather that doesnt appear on the 197, but there is no doubt that even with cost options the 197 ends up a better spec car based upon the type of spec i personally look for. On the 182 i would have loved a 6 speed box, and sporting gizmos like push start would have been great to.
:eek:

White clique

That great six speed gearbox that does 8billion RPM at 65 in 6th (until the revision), and the push start button which represents poor design as you now have 2 switches to go wrong.

I refuse to be tempted by pointless options.
push start button going wrong... a design fault that is being racalled as far as you're aware???... i'm intrigued as if this is the case i'll get Ren to sort it. Pointless options are there for those pointless people like me that like a few extras in life, i'm happy to pay for them! But a good thing that they dont come as standard then with a higher list price.

they are. £150 i think. But this is why in my original post i said my preferenced were based upon what i look for in a car and the gadgets i like. I'm not really fussed about leather that doesnt appear on the 197, but there is no doubt that even with cost options the 197 ends up a better spec car based upon the type of spec i personally look for. On the 182 i would have loved a 6 speed box, and sporting gizmos like push start would have been great to.

You truely are a bright spark aren't you. So a car that when all said and done costs in the region of 5k more has a better spec? Whod've thought it eh :rolleyes: I've just fallen off of my chair in shock.

Black Gold with cup packs

£150 for folding mirrors! Why can't you lazy b*****ds get out of the car and fold the mirrors in yourself!
Get a 197cup to eliminate all POINTLESS options, it also has the revised gearbox.
The 197 is a better car allround than the 182. Thought i'd stir it up a bit:)

White clique
Mine was 13k, 57 plate, 4 months old, 2k miles, extras included folding mirrors, xenons, climate, auto lights and wipers, plus the additional kit on the 197 as mentioned - list price is around 17k for the car plus options - i got it for 13k. So yes, i am a bright spark, thanks for the flattery!! Dont panic yourself on this subject. Chill.

I paid £13,395 for my cup in white, black speedlines, reccaros, Aircon and curtain aribags. Brand new car, bargain

White clique

£150 for folding mirrors! Why can't you lazy b*****ds get out of the car and fold the mirrors in yourself!
Get a 197cup to eliminate all POINTLESS options, it also has the revised gearbox.
you're right. 197s are crap, rubbish spec and i am going to push it the lake tomorrow, i might buy a pair of roller boots instead, better spec.

Mine was 13k, 57 plate, 4 months old, 2k miles, extras included folding mirrors, xenons, climate, auto lights and wipers, plus the additional kit on the 197 as mentioned - list price is around 17k for the car plus options - i got it for 13k. So yes, i am a bright spark, thanks for the flattery!! Dont panic yourself on this subject. Chill.

If you compare a NEW 182 with a NEW 197 with all of these options then there is around 5k difference. Saying what YOU paid for a USED car doesnt make the facts any different.

To get into a new 197 is considerably dearer than a 182 before you factor in the options list you have to start ticking to get it specc'd the same as the 182. I'm not panic'd you just seem to be blind to the inaccuracy and subsequent contradictions to your statement about spec. ;)

you're right. 197s are crap, rubbish spec and i am going to push it the lake tomorrow, i might buy a pair of roller boots instead, better spec.

I just straight swapped my 197 for a Lada SL. better spec!

White clique

If you compare a NEW 182 with a NEW 197 with all of these options then there is around 5k difference. Saying what YOU paid for a USED car doesnt make the facts any different.

To get into a new 197 is considerably dearer than a 182 before you factor in the options list you have to start ticking to get it specc'd the same as the 182. I'm not panic'd you just seem to be blind to the inaccuracy and subsequent contradictions to your statement about spec.
in reality i think comparing standard 182s to 197s is like apples and pears. True the standard off the shelf models have differing specs, but the 182 has stuff the 197 doesnt have, and visa versa - hence why i believe pros and cons are all personal to the buyer. Having just got rid of my FF182, I am much happier with the 197, even though it has a few optional extras at a cost, i would probably have ordered these from new myself anyway except the mirrors. The only bit i miss from the 182 is the cup pack - optional on both.

The 197 is more expensive than the 182, and you can see where the extra money went if i'm honest. Much better build quality. And if Renault only improved this on the car period I would be very happy, as the 172/182's build quality was gash, and after owning both I am qualified to comment on this.
I used to think the 182 was good, until I stepped into a 197.
It's like comparing The Millenium Falcon, to an Imperial Battlecruiser.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
I understand what he is saying about pro’s and cons. I didnt go for full Climate Control on my Corsa VXR because I really didn’t want it.
I only use it on my 172FF a few times a year and I never used it properly. If I was hot I’d just turn it down to “mini” and blast for a few mins and if hot up to “max” and blast.

It actually annoyed me when I first got the 172. I much prefer to have instant cold or hot air. Not driving along and setting the temp,---down, down, down, down, down, down. Fan speed – up,up,up,up,up,up to max. Much prefer to just twist a switch and for cold or hot.

although its seen as a lower spec