ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Dash Conversion

Petrol Blue 182.
Picked up a ph2 172 dash and steering wheel for £60!

PICT0712.jpg

Ripped out my old dash and imediatly run into problems, first problem was that the 172 dash's heating instruments were all electronic, and mine is all cable pulleys, so I got a pully system heater pannel from a dynamic.

I also naively thought that all the buttons would be plug and play, how wrong I was lol, another problem was the sterring wheel storks regarding the wipers, it was a button which alows you to speed up the wipers, which doesn't work on mine lol, did they make a ph2 which didnt have this?

Painted the dash inserts checker style, although I'm not to sure on them myself.

A few bits will need chopping, mainly the center console as it appears the floor pan differs some how!

so at the moment my dash looks like this..

PICT0713.jpg

Im hoping that the conversion will be done in time for FCS, but i doubt it :(, need to get hold of a ph2 172 haynes manual to have a look at the wiring system, any one have one I can borrow?

More updates soon!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Haynes never made a manual for the RS variants. A Mk2 Ph2 will be your closest.

Great project.

182 Cup
...another problem was the sterring wheel storks regarding the wipers, it was a button which alows you to speed up the wipers, which doesn't work on mine lol, did they make a ph2 which didnt have this?

My stalk doesn't have the button for wiper speed. 182 cup, Trophy, got to be other models too I'd have thought.

340i
It will fit in easily enough...

A few people have converted from PH-1 - PH-2, all you need are a few lower spec parts from the 1.2 PH-2

Petrol Blue 182.
ahh burp! thats the fella I was trying to think of! cheers bud, ta for all the positive comments :) any one know where I can get hold of the steering wheel insert? and a new thumb grip?

ahh burp! thats the fella I was trying to think of! cheers bud, ta for all the positive comments :) any one know where I can get hold of the steering wheel insert? and a new thumb grip?

Renault for the insert, that or they come up on ebay a bit.

Thumb grip follow the guide for making one.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
sounds good buddy, dont haynes manuals have all varients in them tho eg. mk2 clio 01-05.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Good move mate, PH1 dash is... :dead:.... Have fun doing the change over, Its a fairly involved job hence why my old track car didnt have a dash at all ;)

Petrol Blue 182.
Good move mate, PH1 dash is... :dead:.... Have fun doing the change over, Its a fairly involved job hence why my old track car didnt have a dash at all ;)

You were just lazy and it weighed a bit ;)

those haynes manuals dont cover the 2litre version, will all the electronics be the same on lower spec cars?

Petrol Blue 182.
First bit in

PICT0715.jpg

when i have the bottom half of the other dash in i can put in the cupholders etc, although I think I may have clearence issuses with the diagnostics port I think it is?
need to also get the gear knob from a Ph2 now that I know they're only glued in, mine comes off in my hand now :(

Coiley'd Clio PH2
you leaving the hazard switch etc.. like that or will you extend the loom once you get the top half in?

Looks good so far mate. Far too much of a task for me to attempt though!

Petrol Blue 182.
you leaving the hazard switch etc.. like that or will you extend the loom once you get the top half in?

Looks good so far mate. Far too much of a task for me to attempt though!

will be extending the wires, ive juts got to figure out what wire does what, I still need to get hold of a ph2 haynes to have a decent read threw the wires etc

Good work, i've wanted to do this for ages, but everyone seems to write it off as being extremely difficult! Interesting read!

Yes I've herd its a big task too lol, but once I start things it annoys me if it's not done lol, so how ever long this will take it will be completed! (hopefully) lol

Mickb

ClioSport Club Member
  van low and 1.6 16v
getting there, tbh wont be too hard to fit, let me know if need any switches ;) got spares

Petrol Blue 182.
sweeet! need some stalks that dont have varible speed for the adjusters? and also need the right air vent

172 Race Car
You might struggle with the hazard switch due to the phase 2 having a UCH controling it. The phase 2 has only 3 wires and the phase 1 like 8 or something.

I took the easy route and kept the phse 1 switch

Coiley'd Clio PH2
You might struggle with the hazard switch due to the phase 2 having a UCH controling it. The phase 2 has only 3 wires and the phase 1 like 8 or something.

Pics of your conversion... Is yours more track related?

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned the door cards... you'll need the Ph2 door cards as they're moulded to the dash.

Petrol Blue 182.
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned the door cards... you'll need the Ph2 door cards as they're moulded to the dash.

Yeah i know, I'm trying to source some atm

hmmm may have to do the same then :( what is the UCH btw? lol

Will I also have troubles with the rear de-mister and the lock button?

Last edited:
  172 Race Car
The demister and lock button should be an easier rig up. The UCH on the later cars (Sometimes called a body control module) controls all the body functions (lights etc) The switch isnt wired to the lights like on the non UCH cars.

I think

Petrol Blue 182.
Update! as feared its too hard to attempt to rewire the hazzard switch :(, but can re-wire the door lock button and the rear screen heater button.

so onto the hazzard button, I have to make the back of the original button (on the left) fit the new hazzard button (on top) which is half the sodding size, hmmm wheres my dremel.....

PICT0849.jpg