ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project #56; Clio Trophy

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The new RS one is super crap. The 197 is nice and not ghastly.

Car looks immense Jon. I did reply to your thread on the polishes btw. Sorry I was a bit late. :(

It was actually at the right time gally, I'd started in the morning and thought, i'll just check see if there has been a reply and there was just before I started.

I need A LOT more practice with one though, took me forever to get a good cut with the products I had.

I'm not mega keen on the 197 one either. I think I might leave it or buy a new 'original' one just to freshen it up.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Indeed mate, from experience Clio paint is facking solid! Hard clearcoat is the problem that very little people know about.

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
The new RS one is super crap. The 197 is nice and not ghastly.

Car looks immense Jon. I did reply to your thread on the polishes btw. Sorry I was a bit late. :(

Cough! mine is super cool! New badges mate look much better

Update:

My exhaust has been annoying the hell out of me recently, I couldn't get the clamp in the right place to stop it blowing and suspected it was just down to the flange on the cat being awful. So after a quick think I purchased a Scorpion Decat. My reason I chose this is because I'm going to be buying the RS192 Cat-back system from them in the following months.

SDC18052.jpg

After spending a day under the car trying to get the cat out I gave in a declared it as a lost cause as one of the bolts was f**ked. Booked into TopGear Stockport and £20 later my decat was fitted. As the bolts were shot I also bought a new fitting kit direct from Renault. Which includes new spring bolts and a new fire ring.

SDC18066.jpg

SDC18067.jpg

Looks very tidy and has an great sound to it now. As you may notice the lambda sensor is plugged in, however I have had no emission's light on as of yet.

I've now got the dampers booked into BG Motorsport for the 5th August, so I started to make arrangements for some temporary suspension. After a week of asking people and thinking about buying some OE 182 cup dampers, I remembered that Chris had recently put coilovers on his BG 182. After speaking to him I set about borrowing them and getting the dampers changed.

After reading many threads on here about removing the dampers I decided to get some spring compressors just for safe measure. I'd read that a 21mm offset ring spanner would be needed to remove the top mounts, however one side came undone with a breaker bar and 21mm deep socket. On the other hand the passenger side was a completely different story. Socket wouldnt budge it, nor would the 21mm offset spanner and a 6mm allen key. This resulted in 2 broken tools:

SDC18055.jpg

As you can see the halfords socket was so weak it just shattered, needless to say I got my money back for buying that. The allen key that is pictured just twisted and twisted. As it was a sunday nowhere was open, so just left everything for the day. Popped to a garage today (monday) and got them to crack it off with an airgun free of charge. So set about with the removal and refit of the cup suspension.

Driver side damper before (Looking a bit worse for wear):
SDC18056.jpg

SDC18057.jpg

Order the bearing goes on:
SDC18058.jpg

Passenger side (Looking better):
SDC18060.jpg

SDC18062.jpg

As I've been having some knocking coming from this side of the suspension from when I bought it I bought the new insert from renault :
SDC18063.jpg

(Old on the left (bottom bit upside down), New on the right)
SDC18064.jpg

As can be seen its now a single piece item, however when installing the new insert there was still lots of up/down movement in the bearing so left it off and put the original one on which still had play. So I am assuming this is where the knocking is coming from. I'll order a new bearing kit from renault in the week for when my dampers come back.

After I had driven the car with both cup dampers on, I noticed I had no knocking noise from the passenger side. I'll be keeping an eye on it to see if it creeps back.

Cup damper in place (cable tie use as there is no abs clip, as it was taken off, and the one of the sach is built in)
SDC18065.jpg

Now time to get them clean, ready to be sent to BGMotorsport
Before:
SDC18072.jpg

After:
SDC18075.jpg

SDC18074.jpg

As can be seen above the left hand damper has pulled the piston in, and can be pulled out by hand (how it should be iirc) Whereas the right hand damper is pretty much stuck solid in place. I'm unsure of why this would be, but all will be told when sent off. As can be seen below they have not lost any gas: (There should be a space between the 'bridge' and chamber ~5mm)
SDC18080.jpg

Springs after:
SDC18077.jpg

SDC18078.jpg

Part # for reference
SDC18079.jpg

After that was done I replaced the air filter, as it was only £13 I decided to change it to a clean one. However upon opening up the airbox there was an aftermarket filter in there, which to me looks like an K&N one. I decided to scrap the K&N and pop the standard one in as I had read that a standard setup is just as good if not the best setup to have. It was strange to see such a huge difference in thinkness between the filters though.
K&N:
SDC18068.jpg

New Filter:
SDC18070.jpg

Thinkness:
SDC18071.jpg

That's it for now. Car needs a very good clean ready for CSS which will be done later this week.

Oh yeah, I also ordered some eibach camber bolts late last week too, ready for when the sach come back.

You need to get a PH1 airbox on it!

Good updates, I want my dampers doing for piece of mind, but other things have put that back for now!

How does it drive on cup sus for comparison?

You need to get a PH1 airbox on it!

Good updates, I want my dampers doing for piece of mind, but other things have put that back for now!

How does it drive on cup sus for comparison?

I've read other peoples thoughts on the ph1 airbox and by the looks of things there is not power increase and torque is reduced so seems pointless unless you want induction noise.

Haven't really drove it on the cup dampers yet, only took it for a spin around the block to check there were no irregularity's after fitting them, but ill report back on it when I put the sach back on.

Trophy #473
Nice one, have a good look round your gaitors, my N/S damper was fubar'd as was the gaitor (had loads of splits) but the other side was fine and nice and clean inside.

Nice one, have a good look round your gaitors, my N/S damper was fubar'd as was the gaitor (had loads of splits) but the other side was fine and nice and clean inside.

Gaitors are fine, tops are a bit grubby still but the actual rubber hasn't perished at all. Found a couple of stones in the grime at the bottom of the damper though!

I'm going to try and get some paint to cover the rust, and then get some spray wax of some description to protect them further during the winter months.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like you had fun getting the dampers off :/ Bet you can't wait to get them back, mine handled so well after, forgot how hard it was lol.

Car looks gorgeous.

Looks like you had fun getting the dampers off :/ Bet you can't wait to get them back, mine handled so well after, forgot how hard it was lol.

Car looks gorgeous.

Cheers. Yeah, I've read that after people have them re-built they transform the car. So really cant wait to get them back and put them to a proper test. I'm really just hoping that nothing unexpected is wrong with them, but time will tell.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers. Yeah, I've read that after people have them re-built they transform the car. So really cant wait to get them back and put them to a proper test. I'm really just hoping that nothing unexpected is wrong with them, but time will tell.

The piston on one of mine was scored so that was replaced £100+ :/ If you're going to paint them Silver hammerite smooth is pretty much a perfect match.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Great work mate. I've got a bad creak/knock that's started on the O/S front suspension too, need someone who's not mechanically retarded (i.e. me) to have a look at it.

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
Those dampers were in a bit of a state, you shouldn't actually be able to move the piston by hand so the left hand one was def fubar'd which is strange as the right hand one was the oilyer.

Those dampers were in a bit of a state, you shouldn't actually be able to move the piston by hand so the left hand one was def fubar'd which is strange as the right hand one was the oilyer.

That would no doubt explain what the knocking is then. As that side, you could push it down and spring it back up whilst the damper was on the car, the other side was firm like the cup suspension that is on now.

I too was supprised at the other side being cleaner. I guess it must of been cleaned off by the prev owner.

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
Yeah it would have been fairly bouncey and was probably handling like an old barge.:D
Judging by the oil all over the other I suspect that was well on its way out as well, it will be a completely different car when you get them back on. Are you over on ClioTrophy as well?

I am over on CT too, It's pretty quite there and spent most of my time here for the past 3 years. Even with the cup suspension it handles much much better on the 3 mile blast to work.

Went out for a quick shoot earlier in the week, so here's a quick pic from that session.

SDC18109.jpg

All cleaned and tidy for CSS, + my 'small' detailing bag for when I get there.

SDC18137.jpg

Camber bolts have arrived this week, and Dampers will be sent of mid week.

Trophy #240/R33 GTST
Sounds like you have been doing what i have been doing for the past week or so! Can believe the difference after the refurb! My camber bolts went on yesterday. Just need to sort out some konis now! :)
After refurbing my ones i am so tempted to replace balljoints, track rod ends, and polybush everything. Its definatly on my list now! :)

Looks great btw!

Time for another update!

Went to CSS on the cup suspension and had no problems at all which was great. (Didn't expect any anyway!) Got a couple of rolling shots as well on the way:

5995480214_f739526d05_o.jpg

cssRR.jpg

Car sits perfect at the back here (although I was cheating because I was carrying my 16v turbines as well)

Picked up some bits from Tom @ Wests Renault and Halfords to complete my summer 6k service:

SDC18207.jpg

Dampers were packaged up and booked via citylink to be sent to BG Motorsport on the Monday. I was looking all over the internet for somewhere that would insure a heavy package (13kgs) for more than £500. I finally found somewhere that would insure them for a price I was happy with. £3000 sound ok ;)

Sach%20Recipt.jpg

Cheap as well :D

I had booked them in for the friday (5th) and was told I would get them back Monday/Tuesday (8th/9th). However as I sent them early as it was the only day I could wait in for them to be collected Ben got them turned around ASAP. After a phone call on Tuesday to say the piston shafts had been in the lath, I was informed one was badly scored so had that replaced. Wednesday I had another phone call saying they were ready to be payed for and shipped the same day. Thursday I received them back!

SDC18208.jpg

At this point I just want to say that BG Motorsport/Ben Fricker did a fantastic job to turn them around as fast as they did and get me on my way!

You may see that they have now got BG Stickers on them, Drivers side piston shaft replaced and new adjusters for the gas chambers top and bottom. Very nice and clean anodised pieces!

Dampers marked with the standard Renault setting (22clicks from soft iirc):

SDC18210.jpg

SDC18212.jpg

New piston rod:

SDC18215.jpg

vs old:

SDC18216.jpg

Next up was to paint and seal the dampers. Mainly to prevent any more rust to the dampers over the coming winter months. Some may say that painting the dampers would be crazy, considering how much they are but TBH, they look miles better with the rust covered and I know that they will be protected for a while. I used Hammerite Smooth Silver for the paint, and FK1000P as a sealant (High temperature sealant which will restrain most of the braking heat).

A quick before shot:

SDC18218.jpg

After the painting is done:

SDC18219.jpg

SDC18220.jpg

2nd coat applied and left to dry overnight, the waxed:

SDC18222.jpg

SDC18223.jpg

While I was doing the dampers I decided I would detail the arches as well, as they were looking a bit sorry for themselves. On doing this I discovered that the CV boots on both sides had either split or come apart. So clipped them back together with hose clips and stuck loads of CV grease in. A temporary fix until I can get the whole boots replaced.
Drivers side arch cleaned and waxed:
SDC18224.jpg

Drivers side built up and ready to go back on.

SDC18226.jpg

I ended up using the new inserts that are suppose to stop the knocking etc which fitted like so:

SDC18227.jpg

However I was very unhappy how they sat, more on this shortly.

In it goes, with the new camber bolts in.

SDC18228.jpg

Didn't take many pictures from now, as time was running short. But the Passenger damper went in and arch was cleaned and waxed like the other.

SDC18231.jpg

Going back to the new insert problem, this is how the top mount sat when the car was on the ground:
SDC18236.jpg

As you can see it is stupidly high, and when the car is jacked up, you can move the whole suspension unit up/down/side to side. After spending ages fitting the new inserts etc I decided to take everything back apart and fit the old type insert, which fits snug like so:

SDC18235.jpg

It's slightly tappy every now and then, so I'm going to try the washer fix. If that doesn't work, I'll buy new bearings and the new style top mounts as well.

Ended up being a very long and tiresome job, one I dont want to be doing in the near future. Hopefully can sort the tappyness out with something simple.

When changing the oil I realised the container I had would probably end up falling over with the funnel in it, so made something slightly clever (in my eyes):

SDC18221.jpg

Screenwash bottle with a funnel cut in the side. Perfect hight for the sump as well :D

Camber, toe and alignment all needs to be set up on a Hunters system soon. Probably going to run -1.5degree of camber on the front to match the rears.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Why dont BG offer to repaint the boddies at the same time ? I think most people would opt for it.

Awesome car :) looks like your dampers needed the same amount of TLC as mine needed.

Yep, pretty much exactly the same! Drives much much better now, and thats with the tracking and camber being out!

Why dont BG offer to repaint the boddies at the same time ? I think most people would opt for it.

Not sure, never bothered to ask either. I think turn around times would be more and possibly a lot more hassle as more would need to be stripped to fully paint them.

Clio 182 Trophy
Iv had mine shot blasted and painted, the pictures are up on the clio trophy site, i asked BG is they done any spraying on the casings and i got the answer that they only do maintenance so that was it i had a friend of mine do the painting, i wish when i had done them that i had given my friend more time to build up the lost material. When it comes to doing my spare set i will get them done in a similar way just build up the material so i get a fully smoothed finish.

Link to the post is bellow.

http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10399&p=90269&hilit=440+dampers#p90269

They look really nice. How much would that cost to be done, also do the dampers need to be stripped at all, or can they be shot blasted as a single piece?

Clio 182 Trophy
My mate done mine for £50, they were only shot blasted in the areas that were corroded hence the pitting in the paint still. I had them done ages ago and they still look the same as they do in the picture so its lasted well so far.
They were stripped mind before painting however it could be done with them built up just will need to be masked off before spraying. One thing you will lose though is the stickers but that didn't bother me.
When it comes to me having to do my second set of dampers i will do the same with them just in a different colour, i was thinking possibly red to match the car, i will also need to get the corroded areas rebuilt up after shot blasting so i get a smooth finish.

Had the day off today so thought I'd get on with a few things.

I had a knocking from my suspension after refitting the dampers, after a self diagnosis it was the CV Joint meaning I'm in need of a new N/S driveshaft. So I'm off to Birchdown on my birthday to get it changed along with gearbox oil.

Video of the knocking:

Its my birthday next week and I got my sister to buy me the RS200 bootlid badge. So debadged and stuck it over the Clio side, looks a million times better.

SDC18247.jpg

Due to the CV boot splitting and the clip failing on the other side the front wheels were covered in grease, however I had swapped them to the backs as a temporary measure to eliminate the awful tramlining I got from the cheapo tyres.

So I had the back wheels off, grease removed (which took forever!), gave them the deironizer treatment and then SRP'd and applied two coats of FK1000p to give them some good protection. The wheels look to have had the grease cooked on them and nothing will budge it! They're going to be powder-coated early next year anyway so not too fussed about this.

SDC18260.jpg

SDC18261.jpg

While the wheels were off I cleaned and painted the rear calipers with hammerite smooth black.

Before:
SDC18249.jpg

SDC18252.jpg

After:
SDC18262.jpg

SDC18263.jpg

The exhaust has been hanging a bit low since buying the car and as the mounts were new before buying (have receipts) the just needed a bit of support. After seeing people putting old sockets in I decided to use an Thomson seat post from my old DH mountain bike. The section worked well and had good alignment so zip-tied it up.

Section used:
SDC18255.jpg

Exhaust hanging before:
SDC18256.jpg

Section in place:
SDC18257.jpg

Exhaust after section was put in both mounts:
SDC18258.jpg

Sit's possibly a little too high on the left side and also you can tell there is a bit more resonance within the cabin.

Though that i'd never got a vid of my decat/exhaust so got a quick one.

Standard back boxes, with centre silencer section chopped + scorpion decat:

Engine bay cleaned and plastics were dressed with Gtechniq C4:
SDC18264.jpg

Wearing its RS badge like a boss:
SDC18265.jpg

I'm trying to find a set of RS xenons and an exhaust (either a yozza or scorpion), Ordered some Osram Diadems too.

Still cant decide if I'm going to replace the rears with Hankook V12 K110's or Michelin PS3's.

Last edited by a moderator: