ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project #075

Clio 182 Trophy
Project Trophy #075

I bought this little Trophy a few weeks ago so I thought it appropriate to start a build thread for it, as I will be doing a lot of work to the car to get the car back to original with some tweaks along the way.

Clio 182 Trophy
IMG_1104.JPG
IMG_1106.JPG
IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1122.JPG
Some pics from when I bought the car

Clio 182 Trophy
The last owner decided that he would make more money by stripping the Turini's and Sachs, then selling them separately.

Clio 182 Trophy
So I made some progress finally with the Trophy. This week I ordered up some new brakes for the car through George at RoadTrackRace.com and a quick trip to Autoparts, as it will be going for an MOT this coming week and the old ones were in horrific condition.

So Friday came and the new Discs and pads arrived, and work commenced on the Trophy.
For the front, I opted for Mintex Pads and Brembo HC discs from George at roadtrackraceparts.com.
Then for the back, I ordered some Delphi discs and pads (unsure of how good these are compared to brembo pads)

1 (2).JPG

So after taking the Wheel off I could really see how badly needed the new discs were.
2 (2).JPG
2 (3).JPG
2 (4).JPG

After removing the caliper and carrier, the pads looked just as I expected them too.
3 (1).JPG
3 (2).JPG
3 (3).JPG
3 (4).JPG

Attachments

• 3 (5).JPG
    3 (5).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
  • 4 (1).JPG
    4 (1).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
  Clio 182 Trophy
Discs and pads changed over on the passengers side, now onto drivers side.
4 (1).JPG
4 (7).JPG
4 (8).JPG
5 (1).JPG
5 (1.1).JPG
5 (2).JPG
5 (3).JPG

not being shy with the copper slip haha
6 (1).JPG
6 (2).JPG
6 (3).JPG

Clio 182 Trophy
Well onto the fronts now. Prior to starting on the brakes I thought I would have more trouble with the back due to there being a bearing involved (hence why I started off with the rears), turned out that the rears were pretty easy as the disc basically fell off waiting for the new one to be put on. So I then proceeded with the fronts thinking it would be a half hour job, oh how wrong was I.....

7 (1).JPG

So I started with the front left....

not a great start... i spent the next half an hour just removing the wheel.
In the process of stealing the Turini's from the car, the previous owner actually broke the head off a wheel nut!!!!! and i had to drill out the remaining piece in order to even start on the brakes!!
7 (1.1).JPG
7 (1.3).JPG

The caliper and carrier came off pretty straight forward....
then the fun began (not)

So upon attempt at removal of the disc, it wouldn't budge. So I figured its probably been on there a few years and needs a little tap from a rubber mallet...nope...ok so maybe move upto a bigger hammer....still didn't budge....at least the threads in the hub for the wheel nut were fine
7 (2).JPG

So with patients wearing thinner I broke out the blow torch and began heating the disc, i then proceeded to spend another half an hour heating and hitting and finally....
8.JPG

well with that behind me I went on and cleaned up all the surfaces, adding copper grease in every place possible (within reason obviously) and mounted the new discs and pads.
9 (1).JPG
9 (2).JPG
10 (1).JPG

I need to make a point of painting my calipers sometime in the future, but essentials first.
10 (2).JPG

one side done, onto the next.

Clio 182 Trophy
So I proceeded with front right corner of the car with the hope that it would come off easier but expecting it to be just as bad...
11 (2).JPG
11 (1).JPG

so it wasn't actually as bad as the other side.....it was waaaay worse :weary::weary:
I began by doing the same with this side as i did with the left side, but with no triumph

so it had gotten to the point where all patients had been thrown out and I did something that I admit I am not proud of :disrelieved:
I grabbed a grinder and cut slices in the disc until the pressure was released and it just popped off

11.1.JPG

not exactly a surgeon's level of cutting, but it did the trick with no damage done to the hub thankfully:confused:

Audi A8 3.0tdi/172.
Did the rears require winding back in or do they push in? I know my tears on the 200 I had needed a rewind tool.

Clio 182 Trophy
Thanks for using for me for your front Brembo HC discs Ryan

Your brakes had seen better days, not sure if these were fitted/present when doing the rears mate:
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/renault-spacer-that-go-behind-rear-discs-on-clio-172-182.712287/

Hopefully you can smarten it back up to it's former glory :up:

Thanks George, I was really pleased at how quickly they arrived
Yeah the little spacers were already there, I just cleaned them up and just popped them back on. :)

Clio 182 Trophy
Did the rears require winding back in or do they push in? I know my tears on the 200 I had needed a rewind tool.
Like Amos said, you can just use a screwdriver in the slots sideways, I personally just used a set of mole grips and pushed against it as I wound it in.

Clio 182 Trophy
I have a few more pics to upload so I'll get this updated tomorrow. Its great seeing the appreciation from everyone as I keep thinking I should have just bought a well looked after 182, don't get the same satisfaction out of it though (I dont think my bank account agrees)