ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Processor Help

Gem

Racing Blue 182
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T4200 (2.0GHz, 800MHz, 1MB cache)

VS.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T6400 (2.0 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache)

Is the second one worth the extra £70?
I'm useless I'm sorry.

Unless you're going to be using it with specific processor intensive tasks in mind, I would say stick with the former. They're both 45nm Penryn and they're clocked the same. The difference is the L2 cache. I've not seen any benchmarks though so I couldn't say how much quicker the T6400 is and, depending on what you're going to use it for, I'd argue you probably wouldn't even notice.

Gem

Racing Blue 182
Laptop build and all I need to run is normal basic stuff plus ProEngineer and 2D Design CAD packages.

So former yeah?

Gem

Racing Blue 182
Not particularly. And like you say...I won't even notice the difference I guess.

Better than yours. C*nt.
I'm going to disagree with Roy and say that the Core2 line of mobile processors are worth every penny over their Pentium Dual-Core counterparts.

It won't be a 'night and day' difference, but will be quicker and slicker and the Core2 are much better at dealing with media.

I'm going to disagree with Roy and say that the Core2 line of mobile processors are worth every penny over their Pentium Dual-Core counterparts.

It won't be a 'night and day' difference, but will be quicker and slicker and the Core2 are much better at dealing with media.

AFAIK they are both Penryn 45nm though despite the Pentium naming. The latter processor has double the L2. Obviously it's better, though. Whether or not it's £70 better I couldn't say. Basically, it's not a Pentium vs. Core 2 Duo decision.