ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Processor Guidance?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
got a dell inspiron 1750 with a celeron dual-core t3000 1.80 GHz processor.

im looking to upgrade a little, nothing to major as i cant afford the t9600. ive just put 4gb of ram in.

what would be a good choice for a small upgrade?

wikipedia lists these options -

Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 or T4300 or Intel Core 2 Duo T6500, T6600, P7350 P7450, P8600 or P8700

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Will be a mare changing the CPU in your laptop unless you have done it before mate, I wouldnt bother personally.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i have noticed there isnt a panel on the back for the processor.

im sure its something i can do, i will google for a guide later.

check for a service engineers manual, though it's likely a big job, on my friend's laptop i did it required removing the top casing to remove the top casing to get to the processor, and of course removing all the heatsinks (they are usually connected together).

good luck none the less, better of just getting a new laptop, unlikely you'll see much of a difference as your mobo is unlikely gonna be able to support the new cpu @ the speeds you're looking at, probably same with the ram i imagine.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
this laptop is one year old, i think buying a new one is a little extreme!! plus i paid like £650 for this one with the full office package.

i building lasers im sure taking a laptop to bits isnt rocket science.

so changing from a t3000 1.80 GHz processor with 2gb of ram to a P7450 – 2.13 GHz processor with 4gb of ram isnt going to be much difference? really!

Mazda 3 MPS
When I took my CPU out of my old laptop, literally everything had to come off/out. Everything. Then there is the possibility the motherboard won't even support it. I'd sell the ram and save up for a better one.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i dont think im on the same wavelength as most on here.

just cos changing the cpu is a little tricky dont mean i need to buy a whole new laptop.

no, but you're older components will still bottleneck it even if the motherboard supports the new cpu. on my desktop i went from a core2quad 6600 @ stock to an i7 950 @ 4.4Ghz watercooled (ram,mobo upgraded also) and didn't notice THAT much, so as i say again, your notice of CPU increase will be minimal. you'll notice the RAM alright (particularly from 2 to 4), but the CPU i very much doubt.
all depends what you do with the laptop at the end of the day, for what i use them for £650 wouldn't get me the spec i need, and by the sounds of it if you want/need more performance i think you're thinking the same!

just my 2cents at the end of the day, take it or leave it, no offence meant.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i hear what your saying.

i dont play games on it. i just handle lots of photos and some times convert some large videos, so im not after a mega processor. its just im currently running the very bottom, so an upgrade would be good.

get everest ultimate or some other sort of information program to give you the motherboard model, with a quick google you should be able to get enough info to work out what's the max processor you can put on it, socket type + fsb speed etc! then you're onto a winner :)

Evo 8 MR
looks like they charge for everest ultimate is there nothing free i can use?

Just search for the model of the laptop on google and I'm sure it'll provide all the info you need.

If you are going to do it though at least do it properly and get the fastest processor that will fit. (within reason/budget)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
im pretty sure these are my options

T9600 - 6M Cache, 2.80 GHz, 1066 MHz
P8700 - 3M Cache, 2.53 GHz, 1066 MHz
p8600 – 3M Cache, 2.40 GHz, 1066 MHz
P7450 – 3M Cache, 2.13 GHz, 1066 MHz
T6600 – 2M Cache, 2.20 GHz, 800 MHz
T6500 – 2M Cache, 2.10 GHz, 800 MHz
T4300 – 1M Cache, 2.10 GHz, 800 MHz
T4200 – 1M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 800 MHz

Monaro VXR
You would have to make sure your motherboard supports the 1066mhz bus speed of the higher CPU's.

To be honest though upgrade the ram and if you want more speed add an SSD hard drive. A faster CPU is utterly pointless especially with what you have said you use it for. You likely never push the current cpu to 100% for longer than a couple of seconds.

Polo + Micra
i've got a dell studio 1737 with a p8600 in thats about a year old

might not be any help but i guess they would use a similar mobo

Laguna sport tourer
what ram are you running? should support ddr3 1066mhz

btw intel gm45 isn't the motherboard its the chipset

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
this laptop is one year old, i think buying a new one is a little extreme!! plus i paid like £650 for this one with the full office package.

i building lasers im sure taking a laptop to bits isnt rocket science.

so changing from a t3000 1.80 GHz processor with 2gb of ram to a P7450 – 2.13 GHz processor with 4gb of ram isnt going to be much difference? really!

Just upgrading the RAM from 2 to 4GB will give the easiest/best results tbh. Plus you could look at better HDD's with more cache.

DCi
Thread hijack:

My desktop has a q6600 quad core in it. I was thinking of upgrading my rubbish nvidia 9600gt and paltry 2gb of RAM

I'll only be doing it mainly to play CoD and BFBC with the proper controls again...

So question is it worth working on the q6600 or is that old hat now?

Ta muchly

Laguna sport tourer
Thread hijack:

My desktop has a q6600 quad core in it. I was thinking of upgrading my rubbish nvidia 9600gt and paltry 2gb of RAM

I'll only be doing it mainly to play CoD and BFBC with the proper controls again...

So question is it worth working on the q6600 or is that old hat now?

Ta muchly

thats still a good processor tbh would be worth upgrading the nvidia to a gt240 or gtx260 depending on budget as for ram if your running 64bit stick another 2gb in or if your using 32bit its only worth sticking 1gb in as it will only see 3.25gb

Laguna sport tourer
it will load stuff quicker mainly on startup. also they fragment overtime and the only way to defragment them is to format and reinstall

DCi
thats still a good processor tbh would be worth upgrading the nvidia to a gt240 or gtx260 depending on budget as for ram if your running 64bit stick another 2gb in or if your using 32bit its only worth sticking 1gb in as it will only see 3.25gb
Yup I'm gonna get win7 64bit as I've seen offers ram, I'll see how much money is left at the end ha. Currently on 32 xp :-s