ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

problem starting starter heat shield??

Nimbus Grey 197
i have changed my gearbox a few weeks ago and for reasons i have no idea i removed the starter more than i normally do then had to remove the wiring to get everything back on.. since then it started clicking like the battery was flat but this was not the case after a look and a fiddle moving the heat shield on the starter motor seemed to do the trick this lead me to believe this was the problem.... it has been fine for ages but today drove it for 20 min and no problem got to work turned the car off to get in the gate and nothing click click click forgot about the heat shield for a few mins and just kept trying and nothing but when moved the shield it started firing but the imob light was on with no fuel pump priming recently went outside and tried it and its all fine and working??? however i have left the heat shield un-clipped. firstly can somebody explain how the wiring should be as mine is so close to the manifold it worries me however has been fine for months and the imob i'm hoping its just due to the issue with the starter.

so can somebody either get a picture of the starter wiring or does anybody know if its something else my gbox earth is fine aswell

P1100067.jpg

so they get fairly close so heat shield is a good thing tbh

Renault%20starter%20motor.jpg

have a check of that connecter, they are prone to rusting and creating bad connections

Nimbus Grey 197
OK so update I went to fill up and stopped the engine for obvious reasons then it clicked I moved the heat shield and it worked can the shield be causing a short ??

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OK so update I went to fill up and stopped the engine for obvious reasons then it clicked I moved the heat shield and it worked can the shield be causing a short ??

Yes it can i had this hold it on the starter for too long and it will get very hot i cut the metal retaining clips off mine so i didnt have to take the manifold off to refit the shield. Its now held on with a jublie clip and has been fine for 4 years.

Nimbus Grey 197
Yes it can i had this hold it on the starter for too long and it will get very hot i cut the metal retaining clips off mine so i didnt have to take the manifold off to refit the shield. Its now held on with a jublie clip and has been fine for 4 years.
ok so cut the clips off and just a masive jub clip ??

Nimbus Grey 197
Yeah so found this today safe to say it was shorting

a2fbd983330f4f38320e89c5f8851a5f.jpg

Insulated it up and popped it back on will see what happens now..