ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problem starting in the morning - help!

Hiya,

Im having a little problem in the morning starting. When i turn the ignition the starter turns (you can hear it) but the engine struggles to ignite. It takes approx 3 or 4 seconds of the key being turned for the engine to kick in.

What is it thats faulty? Im pretty crap with cars so i thought id find out before going to a garage. The car is a 8v RSi.

Daz

Battery might be flat.

Altanator might not be charging it up so the battery is getting flatter all the time.

2.0 175dci rs meggy

possibly coolant temp sensor!! they have a tendancy to corrode in the renault coolant and give a false temp!!

dont think its the battery, as once the car actually starts it runs fine all day?

When the car starts sometimes if i put my foot down a little the car stalls?

Think this may make it a little clearer?

When im stopped (at the lights for example) and I have my heaters on I get a strong smell of oily petrol type smell. There are no loeaks anywhere as I park the car in the same place every night and theres no suspect marks on the road??

Any idea if this is connected? If it isnt what could it be because its quite annoying (and smelly)!!

Cheers,

Daz

don't

naa that smell wont be connected m8

i have a 1995 rsi and i get that aswel, thought i might have petrol leak but maybe not then :)

only does it really if cars at a stand still and fans are put on, if ur moving its normally fine

ur starting problem could just be ur spark plugs or ht leads

when were they last changed?? could just need a clean maybe

sounds like very similar to the notorious valver problem, this should be posted in exterior power and mechanical btw

Changed the leads and plugs when I purchased the car in March so they should still be ok?

It does feel that its not sparking when i turn the ignition.

My girlfriend just told me that her old fiesta had a similar problem and the RAC man told her that sometimes the fuel lines get a little clogged so it doesnt feed the car too well initially.

The car runs 100% once it ignites, its just getting the initial start up thats the problem. Hope its not expensive!