ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Private Reg Problem

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
This time last year I purchased my poor running 1.2 16v clio dynamique for £600, complete with dent to rear quarter and a burst passanger seat airbag.It also had a private reg that wasnt included in the sale, but I bought it from lad at work as I was desprate for a car at the time. It took me 6 month of "il sort it out at the weekend" to apply for the v5. So now we only have the problem of the priv reg... Was wondering if anyone knows where I stand. Can I sell the plate, can I take it off ect? I did not recive any documentation for the plate. Just wanted to check here before I go to the dvla.Thank you in advance for any replys.P.s sorry if I have posted this in wrong section

So you have the V5 for said car in your name with the private plate on it?

If so then you own the plate.

Have you not got to own another form for a private plate?

V317 iirc??

That's the form you use when you want to take it off a vehicle. If a plate is assigned to a vehicle there is no paper work and it belongs to who ever the vehicles V5 is registered to.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If the previous owner neglected to take their plate off, too bad. 6 months later, they've forgotten about it / don't want it.

Why do you want to take it off ?!

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
So you have the V5 for said car in your name with the private plate on it?

If so then you own the plate.

Really? I hope it is this easy!

You won't be able to take it off unless the car is taxed / MOT' and in your name thought IIRC

All taxed and mot'ed, its my daily work horse :)

Have you not got to own another form for a private plate?

V317 iirc??

Thats what i thort... Will have to ask dvla by the looks of things

That's the form you use when you want to take it off a vehicle. If a plate is assigned to a vehicle there is no paper work and it belongs to who ever the vehicles V5 is registered to.

Well the car is registered to me, but there is a new law which says that a car being registered to you is NOT proof of ownership :/

If the previous owner neglected to take their plate off, too bad. 6 months later, they've forgotten about it / don't want it.

Why do you want to take it off ?!

The problem is, he keeps bull****ing me saying hes sorting it out but he knows sweet fa about it, the things hes said he is doing are not right... Ive had the car one year this month :/ and i want to take it of because: A) Its a girls name on plate 'GIL ****' B) I could do with the cash for mods :)

Thanks for the quick replys guys :) looks like il have to get in touch with the DVLA at the weekend

RB 182
You need to fill out a V317 which you can get from the post office, DVLA or online. To transfer the Reg to another car it will cost you £80, to retain it (so you can put it on another car in the future/sell it) it will cost you £105 (£80 transfer fee plus 1 years retention @ £25) After this you will have to pay £25 a year to keep the plate if you dont put it onto another car.

ITB'd 172 Cup
whats the plate?

If its GIL then 4 numbers then its just an irish plate and not worth alot anyway.