ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Print server

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
I bought a 10/100 D Link print server this week as i use three different printers in the home/office.

1 x Parallel dot matrix
1 x Parallel HP laser
1 x USB inkjet/fax/copier

Am i correct in thinking that it should be as simple as connecting the D Link print server to the wireless router and the printers will be able to be picked up from different computers around my flat?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008UA9I/203-4362514-2051965

406 passion wagon..
Should be, give the print server a static IP address outside the range of the DHCP IPs given by the wireless router. There will be configurations you will have to do at each pc to add the printers..

I have had a few issues using multi-function printers with print servers.. printing works but not scanning etc over the network

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
I have had a few issues using multi-function printers with print servers.. printing works but not scanning etc over the network

Ive heard about these issues before but it will most likely never be used for scanning.

It was mainly faxing capabilities that i needed it for, so thought i might as well pick up a half decent inkjet while im buying one.

406 passion wagon..

Ive heard about these issues before but it will most likely never be used for scanning.

It was mainly faxing capabilities that i needed it for, so thought i might as well pick up a half decent inkjet while im buying one.

Sounds like a good plan.

I'm guessing on the PCs you want to add the printer on use add new local printer (un-tick auto detect), create a new port, standard TCP/IP enter the IP address of the print server then install the correct drivers for the printer. Not quite sure how you'll add 2 printers on one machine as I'm sure only one IP port can be used per printer..

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc

Sounds like a good plan.

I'm guessing on the PCs you want to add the printer on use add new local printer (un-tick auto detect), create a new port, standard TCP/IP enter the IP address of the print server then install the correct drivers for the printer. Not quite sure how you'll add 2 printers on one machine as I'm sure only one IP port can be used per printer..

Going way over my head now. Im sure it will be fun and games and no doubt ill be back PMing you ;)

Can you select network printer instead of local printer?

Got the router from Amazon for £40 so its a bit of a bargain

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Should be, give the print server a static IP address outside the range of the DHCP IPs given by the wireless router. There will be configurations you will have to do at each pc to add the printers..

Scanners always have issue with print-servers - unless the NIC is inbuilt into the scanner itself. By far the best (as in, almost zero problems with print servers) are the HP JetDirect ones. Stupidly overpriced, but you should see some of the ones at work that are still working fine. Caked in dust, crap, kicked, dropped, etc - they just keep going....

The JD software (when first launched) asks for the IP, subnet mask and a default gateway setting (if needed). Once done, just run the JD software on each client PC on the network and it will actively search for the JetDirect box and apply all the relevant settings. Just needs the printer driver to be at hand. You can of course, install it all through Windows printer & faxes setting, but I'm lazy with things like that. ;)

D.