ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Prima racing exhaust mounts. Not providing enough flex?

Silver 172 cup
Hi,
I have a 172 with standard exhaust system and about 2 months ago replaced the standard rear exhaust mount with a Prima racing mount. I don't want to cause any bad publicity or anything but was thinking this might be the root cause of having to have my exhaust back box replaced today (Under warranty still - thankfully).

I have had this particular exhaust system only since Feb last year so unless it is common to be replaced after only 18 months then I can only presume the reason my back box has gone is because there was little flex in the mounts, causing vibrations to break the back box instead?

Any advice appreciated. I am seriously considering putting my standard rear mount back on (unless they do it anyway when replacing exhaust).

Cheers

Luke

Silver 172 cup
Its broke where the bracket from the mount to back box actually joins the back box, corroded away and causing a massive hole in the back box, like split.

If i'm thinking correctly it would probably be less stressful on a 182 cause you have two mounts and less weight for one bracket to deal with.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
corrosion isn't related to stiff mounts. The exhaust doesn't need to move, there's a flexible joint at the manifold end that is there to do all the movement

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
there is, and it does need to move!

That exhaust is only really moving left and right, not up and down, the mount allows for that type of movement.
Unless you screw it on all the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Lionel Richie
i still say the best and cheapest way to "fix" the mounts is to gut out the insides and wedge a oval rubber mount in there - done, less movement, but not as harsh (or expensive) as other solutions

itl just be the gash standard back box.. i had a standard centre section crack twice within a year of it been fitted needless to say i ended up with a stainless system

Silver 172 cup
Cheers for the replies.

Had nothing but bad luck with this exhaust system since it was fitted back in Feb last year. Just glad it was under warranty and has been replaced. I will definitely consider the ktec stealth should it ever need replacing when out of warranty!

Luke