ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Powermat!

Scirocco GT 2.0
Rather not have to stick one of them pads on the back of everything I want to charge tbh.

True..

I saw a demo on TV and the developers are trying to get phone companies etc to intergrate the technology in new designs, therefore the external receiver wouldn't be needed. Will have to wait and see..

Not exactly new technology though, so its something manufacturers could easily replicate and cut out the middle man.

If this ever becomes intergrated on most chargable gadgets it will be epic.

i.e. "touchmat ready"

Id buy the mat if i could charge my: ipod, phone, camera etc easily.

Audi S3 225
How the hell does it work, so the power mat sends the charging power to the battery inside the phone???

Scirocco GT 2.0
How the hell does it work, so the power mat sends the charging power to the battery inside the phone???

"You have two coils, the Primary Coil and the Secondary Coil. The Primary Coil is connected to the Power Outlet. When this happens, a magnetic field is produced around the Primary Coil. Now, depending on how many Turns there are in the Secondary Coil, the output voltage is higher when there is more Turns, and less when there are less Turns. Now, using the standard UK Voltage, 230v, as the Input. Let's say there is 10 Turns on the Primary Coil. Now, we need something like 9V to charge up the devices. That would mean we would have around 25-26 Turns on the Secondary Coil to achieve this. If you're wondering where the Coils are, you would have the Primary Coil located inside the Power Mat itself, where as the Secondary Coil would be located on the small device that you attach to your device (iPod, Mobile Phone etc.) Thus, wireless charging is achievable."

Polo + Micra
"You have two coils, the Primary Coil and the Secondary Coil. The Primary Coil is connected to the Power Outlet. When this happens, a magnetic field is produced around the Primary Coil. Now, depending on how many Turns there are in the Secondary Coil, the output voltage is higher when there is more Turns, and less when there are less Turns. Now, using the standard UK Voltage, 230v, as the Input. Let's say there is 10 Turns on the Primary Coil. Now, we need something like 9V to charge up the devices. That would mean we would have around 25-26 Turns on the Secondary Coil to achieve this. If you're wondering where the Coils are, you would have the Primary Coil located inside the Power Mat itself, where as the Secondary Coil would be located on the small device that you attach to your device (iPod, Mobile Phone etc.) Thus, wireless charging is achievable."

that sounds like blocks to me as you'd have less coils on the secondary to have a lower voltage

182FF with cup packs
Whats the benefit over just dropping your iPhone into a dock?

I think the idea is, in the long term, that you will be able to charge your phone most places without having to carry a charger or anything.

Once you have a pad at home, and there is one in the office, and they start turning up in coffee shops and pubs, and maybe one in the console of your car.

Obviously this relies on them convincing the manufacturers to build them into the phones, but if they were, then I would buy a powermat for home and the office.

Clio
This is an interesting vid, technology applied to the kitchen, walls, tables, cars....

[YOUTUBE]3hOaXTkkaVw[/YOUTUBE]

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
These seem to be advertised everywhere at the moment, but as said, £80 for the mat and another £35 to be able to charge an iPhone, its also another £30 for a reciever for most other devices as well, a joke IMHO. Why would I pay £115 to charge my iPhone using a powermat when I can do it with the charger for nothing?