ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Powering two head units?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
How does one power two headunits? I want to power the double din in the dash and a single din in the glovebox. Can I just splice the wire for power on the quadlock/ISO and send it to both units?

So you like headunits?

0ca36be035e2c8c79d6af4543c7a6990.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I was interested in something similar too as wanted to replace factory satnav with a custom media centre and have it still linked to the radio in the dash.

Following

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I can understand in a classic when you want to keep it looking original; wire one up in the glove box and have the original light up as if it’s being used.

Not sure what you’re trying to do though.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I have a a mk2 TTS, I hate aftermarket looking units that don't fit in or need fascias, so rather than getting a Pioneer or Kenwood etc, I bought an Android unit designed for the car. The unit however has a problem interfacing with Bose and gets some annoying interference noises that can't be solved with a filter or ground loop isolators. The unit is great as a display and being Android does everything, but audio components aren't up to scratch.

I want to use said Android unit as my display in the dash, but then have a Spotify Connect receiver in the glovebox, so I can use the headunit as the screen to select songs etc, but have them sent to the device in the glovebox, which will be a higher quality unit like a Pioneer and will interface with the Bose without the same issues.

Basically, bypassing the Android unit by sending the audio to the unit in the glovebox. I can't use bluetooth though because the Android unit can only receive bluetooth and not send via it, so I need to use Spotify Connect/Wifi.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I'm wondering whether I might be able to power the unit in the glovebox by using one of the spare connectors from the Android unit for reverse camera etc, but I'm not sure how much power they're putting out.

PB78ATTRP_25.jpg

PB78ATTRP_26.jpg

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
The manual says the Camera Out cable from the Android unit is 12V, so that's fine for powering the HU in the glovebox?
I doubt it mate as a headunit will pull much more current than a camera.

Just stick another feed to your 2nd headunit straight from the battery (fused of course), and then take a switched live to it so it turns on and off at the same time as your screen

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Sounds like a right faff. Can you not just get a better quality android HU instead of having two working independently.

Listerine & Poledo
Isn't your Bose problem going to be caused by pushing speaker-level signal into the BOSE amp?

Splice the RCA outputs into the speaker connectors on the ISO loom and that should fix it.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I think the adapter I've got arriving today does that without needing to splice wires? It doesn't have RCA's, so I assume rather than taking low level to high level like the RCA style one does, this is going to use low level like the original RNSE does?

Unfortunately, the brown and black adapters will fit the Pioneer unit, but the Xtrons unit uses a different style of plugs, so I'll need to see if they do an adapter.

CT53-AU02-840x840.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
Outputs 20-23 will be your RCA outputs. That adapter looks like the kind of thing that will convert a speaker-level to line-out level. That may well work just fine.

I've seen ISO leads which have RCA's part of them, if I was trying to make aftermarket work with a BOSE, that's what I'd be looking at.

MX5's have the same issue with their BOSE systems, it's only after someone has jammed their swanky double-din in and going from volume 4 to 5 goes from quiet to CAN YOU HEAR THIS YET THEN OR WHAAAAAT!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
You've got massively more patience and willpower for this. I'd just want a decent unit in there.

Does it connect? Does it sound good? Those would be my criteria - and ideally not be that appealing to thieving b******s! :p

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
The thing is, it's a decent unit functionally. Because it basically runs Android, it can do pretty much anything, the screen quality is excellent, being able to split screen Waze/Google Maps and Spotify is a great feature. You can download pretty much anything from the Play Store, it's not as restricted as getting something from Pioneer or Kenwood and only being able to use the apps they approve.

Plus it looks better, it looks like the original RNSE but more modern.

It's only this slight electrical type interference problem away from being a stonking unit. People with non-Bose cars love them, but most with Bose just choose to live with it, whereas I wanna find a way round it.

Listerine & Poledo
I think your best bet will be to jury-rig the RCA's into the not-ISO lead then fella.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
If the Pioneer connects up with one of these leads with no interference, I'm thinking of buying a Chromecast Audio and putting it into the aux port of it, then send music via Spotify Connect to the Chromecast.

I'll need to get a 4G dongle, but that's fine, I'll just get a 10gb data per month one or something, should do the job.

Listerine & Poledo
What is this Pioneer head unit you're looking at?

Because this is getting more convoluted by the post

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
For now I just bought a single din MVH-S410BT, but I could always get a better quality unit if needed in future, first I just want to confirm the idea works.