ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Tool Perverts

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Sound, aye they seem to be quite scarce in the UK. Anything I see is US based and I know I'll get my face raped with import fees

Aye, think Dan imported his. That guy gets a load in at once so it's worth while.

Screenshot_20201201-174320.png

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Since this has turned more into a Milwaukee thread I'll ask my questions here.

Mainly interested in the stubby impact wrench and m12 ratchet, would I be best to get these in 3/8"? I've got a 1/2" makita impact wrench.

The die grinder looks brilliant for rust removal (rear beam, undercarriage etc) but would it be worth getting when I already have a corded dremel? Would the dremel take the same sanding discs?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

Mainly interested in the stubby impact wrench and m12 ratchet, would I be best to get these in 3/8"? I've got a 1/2" makita impact wrench.

The die grinder looks brilliant for rust removal (rear beam, undercarriage etc) but would it be worth getting when I already have a corded dremel? Would the dremel take the same sanding discs?
100% get it in 3/8 mate, they are great for smaller jobs where access can be tight. I got it in these because I have significantly more 3/8 sockets, they're small in size in comparison to 1/2.

It really is a match made in heaven having those two tools for Dismantling and assembling/fitting bits and then use the 1/2 big boi for the stubborn bolts and big jobs.

I genuinely can't stress how much those two tools have helped me when working on cars.

Reactions: MLB

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member

Seems logical to get a 3/8” if you’ve got a 1/2” already but then again if you’re equipped with 1/2” sockets there’s no reason not have it in 1/2” I guess.

If you do go 3/8” I’d recommend getting some deep or semi deep impact sockets though. They do fit in smaller spaces but you might find your makita actually fits and works with a shallow socket whereas the Milwaukee has no nose poke so bare in mind if you’re trying to poke it in somewhere the flat front is in line with your hand and means it’s not as practical as you might think.

Pretty cool little beasts though, mine looks beat already (no boots available when I got it). Battery tech has certainly moved on these days, have the 6.0amp battery and it lasts ages.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the info guys!

I've only got a standard Halfords 175ish piece tool box for sockets at te moment which contain only 1/2 inch impact sockets so @jameswrx good tip for the (semi) deep impact set for the 3/8. If you had to choose, which would you get, deep or semi deep?

Any particular set/brand recommended for 3/8 impact sockets?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

I've only got a standard Halfords 175ish piece tool box for sockets at te moment which contain only 1/2 inch impact sockets so @jameswrx good tip for the (semi) deep impact set for the 3/8. If you had to choose, which would you get, deep or semi deep?

I would get both. I have shallow and deep sockets. They were both cheap at around £25 a set thst covers everything I need

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

I got these when I bought my 3/8 stubby.

Not cheap but not expensive either

MLB

ClioSport Club Member

I was looking at that one!

And maybe something like this https://www.toolstoday.co.uk/frankl...mi-deep-thin-wall-impact-socket-set-3-8-drive

as @Pudding of Yorkshire said, better have ALL the sizes!

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na

Good value those for what they are.

I can see me buying an impact gun soon. Only problem is I'll want the M12 stubby but the drills I have for DIY are both M18.
It's a slippery slope once I go down the M12 route. Heated jacket 😂😂

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I've got 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 sockets in short, medium and deep length, chrome and impact of all types too😂😂

Honestly Halfords and US Pro have been good for me and I'm a right abusive c**t when it comes to tools😂 90% of my hand tackle is cheap stuff, I just have a few snap-on/Bahco/Teng bits that I've found on jobs😂😂

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

I bought a 3/8” to 1/2“ adapter so I can use my 1/2” deep sockets and allow wheel sockets with mines. Worthwhile investment for under £5 and makes it even more versatile.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I did buy some deep 3/8” Bosch impact sockets but the set misses a 14 & 18 out, they are really well made though and a lot thinner than most cheap impact sockets.

Otherwise my stuff is snap on impact wise (shorter ones and I have the wobble ones etc)

I’d never actually bothered with deep 3/8” impacts before the Milwaukee but did find I needed them when I got it going from my snap on impact gun. I try not to get credit with my snap on dealer but the cash deal on a 3/8 deep set was crap.

I would say though these days there really isn’t that many bad cheap tools out there. When I was young it seemed unless the ratchets and sockets were snap on or Mac they were like xmas cracker stuff.

Think it’s ‘Expert’ (ex draper expert) I handled some stuff the other day, looked really good actually. Pretty sure it’s something to do with one of the bigger brands (was it Facom or blue point?)

But then again I’ve had a set of flex head Halfords ratchet spanners for donkeys. I think they originally made them really well and may have changed. Back when I got them sure the snap on ones were still these horrible weird flat plate looking things. I bought a set of Mac flexi ratchet spanners years later to ‘upgrade’ and I’ve broken loads of the Mac ones and not one of the Halfords ones has broken ever!

MLB

ClioSport Club Member

I got these with my 3/8" stubby. Theyve been fantastic!

I thought that chrome vanadium sockets weren't exactly suitable for impact use because they're more likely to shatter on an impact wrench?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I thought that chrome vanadium sockets weren't exactly suitable for impact use because they're more likely to shatter on an impact wrench?

Chrome Vanadium is the type of metal, not the actual finish.

Although typically most sockets are then plated in a chrome finish, which adds to the confusion.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I thought that chrome vanadium was too brittle for impact use hence special sets made of chrome molybdenum which flexes and bends instead of shattering?

That US PRO set is made of chrome vanadium according to the description and as seen on the sockets (picture 5).

Heat treating and tempering will only make the material more prone to shattering or not?

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Blue point are still snap on but with a different name

Draper are Britool or King Dick if youre really old😂

That’s it, Britool makes expert (former draper expert to get away from draper name) Under same banner as Facom too?

Pretty sure modern blue point stuff is just rebranded Chinese stuff like laser etc? Certainly looks very similar to all the other cheaper tools with the blue point name just stuck on. I have a few bits and just looks like the stuff you’d find in the motor factors on the wall of shame.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I always understood that chrome vanadium was too brittle for impact use hence special sets made of chrome molybdenum which flexes and bends instead of shattering?

That US PRO set is made of chrome vanadium according to the description and as seen on the sockets (picture 5).

Heat treating and tempering will only make the material more prone to shattering or not?

Ahh yeah, you're right.

My Teng ones are CR-MO I think.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
That’s it, Britool makes expert (former draper expert to get away from draper name) Under same banner as Facom too?

Pretty sure modern blue point stuff is just rebranded Chinese stuff like laser etc? Certainly looks very similar to all the other cheaper tools with the blue point name just stuck on. I have a few bits and just looks like the stuff you’d find in the motor factors on the wall of shame.
Facom and Bahco are good quality without busting your pockets wide open. Blue point and snap on new stuff is pretty poor from what I've seen of my mates gear and they've even resorted to copying Milwaukee. Imagine being one of the biggest hand tool manufacturers and half arsed copying ideas from other 'smaller' tool manufacturers😂 I keep showing my mate my Mileaukee stuff, he's easily spent 20 grand on strap-on shite

The old Snap-on stuff is good enough to survive the apocalypse.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I thought that chrome vanadium was too brittle for impact use hence special sets made of chrome molybdenum which flexes and bends instead of shattering?

I mean I've ugga duggad the arse out of them and they're absolutely fine.

• Haha

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Haha I suppose they wouldn't be in business anymore if they weren't any good, that's good to hear! I was just wondering because my normal set is chrome vanadium which would save me buying a new set or sockets entirely if they're usable.

I may need to do some more homework anyway , there's too many options!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Haha I suppose they wouldn't be in business anymore if they weren't any good, that's good to hear! I was just wondering because my normal set is chrome vanadium which would save me buying a new set or sockets entirely if they're usable.

I may need to do some more homework anyway , there's too many options!
I think on air tools it's probably a different story again! Sometimes it's good to remember if you're only using them every other weekend theyre obviously going last a lot longer. If you're buying tools for work I'd recommend differently as you dont want to be halfway through a job and having to buy more tools when they break.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Ah right, didn't know that!

And good point definitely a difference if you rely on your tools every day to make a living instead of just trying to keep a 16 year old French box on the road from a wet driveway. Good to try to find the balance between cost and quality.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I think if you're only busting nuts and bolts at a few hundred Newton metres chrome vanadium will be ok.

It's generally the 1000Nm stuff you'd want chrome moly sockets.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2

Britool 'Expert' isn't anything to do with Draper. 'Expert' is just Facom's rebranding of Britool. The Draper Expert range still exists.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I'll see if I have time to do some tests this week and let you know. Otherwise it's coming to Oulton Park 16th of January!