ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery powered tools

Clio 172 Cup
I need an SDS hammer drill for some house projects and I also want an impact gun for car stuff. I've been tempted to start investing in battery powered tools instead of having to use an extension lead all the time.
So my question is, what brands should I be looking at that makes automotive and also construction tools with batteries that are universal between them?

I've seen the Ryobi tools which seem to do what I want and appear to be cheaper than Makita and Dewalt. Any other brands that I should look at?
I have no knowledge about battery tools what so ever so any advice would be great.

Clio f1 r27
You get what you pay for tbh.
All mine are dewalt, have been for the 14 year of being a chippy and never had a problem with them.

Milwaukee is another brand that cover cars as well as construction.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Can't talk for the Ryobi stuff, but I started off with a Makita drill, and it's still going a good 5 years later after lots of abuse.
I followed that up with a host of other stuff (and a few more batteries so I have spares!). Impact gun, chainsaw, garden strimmer.

I rate the Ryobi stuff for home use at least. I’ve got a 1/2 impact, drill, circular saw, angle grinder that all share the same batteries very handy!

Make sure you get the biggest battery they do for the impact, it really helps! Cheap enough kit but durable too! Can’t reallt fault it. The impact is good enough for hub nuts, has 3 settings.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Cheapo sds if for occasional use. I bought a Titan 240v sds from screwdix for £40 ish and i have absolutely abused it demolishing things with the chisel on and it refuses to die, perfect for the diy’er or weekend warrior.

1/2” impact gun best bet is Dewalt dcf899p2. As much poke as the Milwaukee guns yet cheaper, perfect for diyer. For trade use, would use milwaukee, but quite a bit dearer.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Makita 18v brushless hammer drill and a brushless impact driver. Can just buy the body of one and share the battery’s and charger to save some money.

Clio 172 Cup
Are the Dewalt and Makita batteries universal between all their tools? (SDS, combi, angle grinders, lights, impacts etc).
The reason I'm leaning towards the Ryobi is due to the universal battery (I need to get all new tools now I don't have a compressor so want it as universal as possible) but the Dewalts aren't much more expensive and seem to be a bit more 'professional'.

Cup 172
Dewalt impact guns and drills have cross battery compatibility.

I’m sure Milwaukee has too but can’t confirm

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Milwaukee batteries come in m12 and m18. They work with all their tools. Well respectively obviously.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I have a couple of ryobi tools simply because the battery hasn’t changed for years and it was the first thing I bought.

There impact drivers aren’t up to spec for anything other than driving in screws tbh.
But Milwaukee and Ryobi are now owned by the same company and I’ve noticed a few of there tools have started looking similar so perhaps the newer versions are better.

Clio f1 r27
Dewalt battery can be used on any of their tools, I have some 54v battery tools by dewalt and they to can be used on their 18v stuff.
Dewalt battery can set down in voltage but not up.

Impact drivers and impact wrench are rated differently.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Milwaukee everytime for me. Quality is crazy good and the power from the hi torque impact is mega. Its also Bluetooth so you can have settings on the impact gun for wheel bolts etc.

As said they do an M18 and m12 battery range. I believe the range of tools are much better on the milwaukees too.

Got the Bluetooth drill too but I don't use that function at all, it's super powerful and blows the 18v bosch I had out of the water.

3 year warranty as standard too which is nice.

Screenshot_20190507_163356_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Clio 172 Cup
One more question before I go look at DeWalt, Makita and Milwaukee deals.
Will the battery SDS drills be ok chiseling a lot of plaster board off? Or is this something only a rotary should do.
I've got 4 walls to do.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
One more question before I go look at DeWalt, Makita and Milwaukee deals.
Will the battery SDS drills be ok chiseling a lot of plaster board off? Or is this something only a rotary should do.
I've got 4 walls to do.
Just get a cheap titan corded sds from screwfix, no point spending a lot if you're not gonna use it.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
@DrAlex for chiselling you need a sds hammer drill with rotary stop function. I’m not sure why you need one if it’s just plaster board your dealing with? Or is it plastered walls you have?
The Makita 18v DH202 LXT with a 5Ah battery will do most things..then DTD152Z impact driver body only (£65) as all Makita 18v battery’s are interchangeable.
I’ve had mine years now...used daily

Clio 172 Cup
Sorry it's 3 plastered walls and 1 plasterboard wall. Yeah I thought about getting a cheap corded drill but I also need a combi and impact so thought get sorted with the battery and charger with the SDS and then buy the other bodies later.

I am getting more into DIY now I own a crappy old house so I'm confident it will get some good use eventually ?

Clio , Ariel Nomad
Another vote for Milwaukee here, we use them all the time in the workshop & they are tough & long lasting , we have Two M18 1/2 inch impact guns and they are stupid powerful.

P-Co

ClioSport Club Member
  Hyundai Santa Fe
Same as some posts.

Personally I have Makitas as there just great all rounders, the heavy duty battery sds is brilliant but you have to keep checking the battery doesn't get to hot whilst using it for prolonged time like the walls you will be doing.

Cheap Titan corded sds as mentioned for cheap purchase and long heavy duty work I have one myself for that too.

Dewalts have good torque but they don't seem to have a decent all rounder.

Milwakee is what my work use and yes they are absolutely brilliant, batteries are longer lasting, torque is surprisingly good, and sds wise powerfull enough for most jobs. The only downside I can say is that the chuck keeps locking up so I have to use a pair of grips the release drill bits after use.

Clio 172 Cup
I went for the cheap Titan SDS in the end. £70 and came with SDS bits as well.
I'm hoping to go Milwaukee for impacts. I should get them at cost through work but I'm not sure if that includes tools (or if there is even much of a mark up on tools).

For impact guns, I recently bought a Makita DTW285 to get into the areas where space is restricted and it does a wonderful job. I have the bigger DCF899 but as powerful as it is it can't reach into tighter areas.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I went for the cheap Titan SDS in the end. £70 and came with SDS bits as well.
I'm hoping to go Milwaukee for impacts. I should get them at cost through work but I'm not sure if that includes tools (or if there is even much of a mark up on tools).
If you ever find yourself in derby and want to come and test milwaukees to see if it'll suit your needs give me a shout.

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Dewalt and Mac Tools are the same, so batteries can be swapped, good for car and DIY bits then.

Milwaukee are supposed to be very good too, I almost went with them until the Mac tools dealer offered me great deal on impact guns.