ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power steering problems

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
My 182 is only really used for trackdays and today on the way to the RS trackday when I started the car I heard a quick squeal, just thought it was the aux belt needing adjustment (PMS a/c delete kit).
I adjusted the belt before going out on track but still a quick squeal on start up after adjustment but after a few sessions I had a strange feeling when turning in to a corner the steering felt really tight almost locking up and when coming into the pits it was squealing really bad with lock.
After investigating it when on full lock or with load resistance turning the wheel without the car moving it is causing the Power steering pump pulley to lock up momentarily then the belt slips.
Anybody have any ideas what this could be pump, rack or something else
@bloke

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Pump shot, had the same issue on mine.

What about ditching the aux driven pump and fitting a saxo electric pump (or similar electric pump) onto the hpas setup, a bit like the gen2 cup racer setup. Failing that epas is another option.

dan's cast offs.
Think there is one on here in the guide section?

Wort bit is getting the boot on the bottom of the column back through the floor.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
@Triggertrigg
I have taken the pump off today and it rotates fine but there is about 0.5mm end float so don’t know if that is causing the problem.
It’s a pita to get to
8354ACF8-FEB7-4E37-A0D5-CC874364583C.jpeg

I have found some reconditioned pumps on eBay for about £80 not many options as Renault have stopped selling them.
Also found a TRW one a bit more expensive but it says for cars without AC so not sure if the mounting points are different.

I will probably order one on Monday and get it fitted next week so should have a update then.

@bloke is it normal for pumps to have some end float?

dan's cast offs.
i'd say most if not all of the ones i've ever checked had a touch of float but nothing more than minimal though.