ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power loss/No acceleration

Astra SH 1.6 SXi
Was driving back to Dundee from Aberdeen yesterday when my car started to get really "jumpy" was sort of pulling forward all the time. A light started flashing on the dash and i lost power and acceleration, car wouldn't really go above 50ish down the A90. Pulled into a parking area at side of dual carriage way and looked it up...exhaust emissions light. As instructed by manual i slowed down but the light never stopped flashing.
Drove on for about 45 mins when all of a sudden car regained full power and light stopped flashing. All was going well, but right on Kingsway in Dundee the car fooked up again wi same problem. It's a 51 plate 1.2 Dynamique wi approx 52k on clock. regular services and never any probs (apart from 2 keys being pulled down side)....ideas? A cracked exhaust has been suggested? How much am i gonna get stung to fix it?

Cheers Guys

GAZ

you're exhaust problems depends on where its broke . , but if the emissions light is flashing , it could be your cat ..... ?

but i'd look at the coil pack , leads and plugs 1st as it also could loose you power like you've stated if there was a lead breaking down etc , this may cause the emission to run badly causing the light to come on and off

Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
It's definitely worth checking the HT leads and spark plugs. It could also signal the end of the Lambda sensor's life which could need replacing.

An easy thing to try is going to a different petrol station (if you normally fill at just one) and filling the tank, as the recent contaminated fuel in England caused engine emission lights to regsiter.

Had the same thing happen on my Audi and turned out to be worst scenario in that the catalyst had broken up and partially blocked the exhaust and triggered the engine management light. Also caused large loss of power despite being driveable. Cost about £1000 to replace so fingers crossed for you its not your cat.

D

deadonkey

The same happened to my 1.2 16v. It was the spark plugs, the service inteval is too long in my oppinion. That particular engine goes through plugs Ive been told.
The coil pack and leads are only available together so its worth changing the plugs first.

clio...
Had EXACTLY the same problem mate, I changed my plugs & Coil pack. As stated the HT leads come with the coil. Cost 65 quid for the parts, takes 2 minutes to do yourself.

However, I still believe there was more to the problem than that and it would be worth while for you to get someone to check your exhaust system. I believe that is still faulty with mine, but i haven't had the time to check it out as of yet.