ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power cap, should I, or shouldn't I.....????

vaux cavalier
Firstly, I don't work for Halfords, I don't work for Motorworld or any of the other, "You need a power cap", brigade....

A few basics....

A cars power supply is DC, (Direct Current), so cable resistance plays a large part in supply voltage....

Supply voltage directly affects current being delivered....

A cars stock electrical loom is designed with safety & cost in mind....

On 90% of cars a simple test can be performed to evaluate your stock loom, simply turn on your interior light, now operate your hazard lights, does the interior light dim in time to the hazards???

Operate the windows, again does the interior light momentarily dim???

If you were to rewire your entire car with only electrical performance in mind, then the costs would spiral as would the overall weight of the loom itself....

General claims....

1, Makes system louder.....

Utter unfounded crap....

2, Improves sound quality.....

Debatable, caps are usually used on the bass side of systems, if the bass side is particularly heavy then the cap will become discharged quite quickly, (you need to remember a cap will supply as well as draw from both directions depending on point of lowest resistance), so in some cases a cap can actually harm overall quality....

3, Very fast discharge/recharge cycle.....

True, caps do indeed discharge/recharge very quickly, but you need to remember this cycle is dependant on draw, (if the relevant charge circuit is lacking in any way, then cap performance will suffer)....

4, Will sort 'dimming lights' syndrome.....

If your charge circuit is capable of supporting a power cap, then chances are fitting one won't alter the 'dimming effect' one bit....The only way to rectify the issue in this case would be rewiring the light circuit with performance in mind....

Avoiding Dimming Lights.....

The most common cause of 'dimming' lights is incorrect wiring practices....

YOU CAN'T TAKE OUT WHAT YOU CAN'T PUT BACK IN

A circuit is just that, an outward path & a return path, current will only flow as fast as it can at its weakest/narrowest point....

Lets revert to a basic pic, makes it easier to explain & hopefully easier to follow;
CIRCUIT.jpg

As current is drawn, voltage will dip, (blue level line), if return path is restricted then voltage will remain low, if return path is similar or larger then current will flow easier, (quicker), so maintaining higher voltage level....

By 'NOT ADDING' a new battery to chassis earth to MATCH the new power supply, your simply creating a dam that will restrict voltage throughout the whole car....

A power cap can supply the initial high transients that are required on big bass hits, but if the charge circuit is restricted elsewhere then its usefulness over anything more than a few seconds is very doubtful....

In short, a power caps usefulness is limited to your actual charge circuit, if the charge circuit is adequate, then you simply don't need one....If your charge circuit isn't adequate, then fitting one is pretty much pointless....

Nothing stopping you from using one on the supply to your head unit though;)

HEADUNITCAPWIRING.jpg

vaux cavalier
I take it your point was to not?

Correct....

Care to expand before i comment, as i think you may mean something else to how i have understood your post.

I don't like techno babble, it gets in the way....lol..
Simple explanation;
Purchase amps etc before even considering the power source or means to convey that power....
Each decision, charge circuit wise, will affect system voltage....
Each decision, supply cable wise, will affect system voltage....
Fitting a power cap will not rectify any of these decisions if they are wrong....

hear hear!
but in what instance would a power cap be useful??

Tricky one this, kind of makes me a hypocrite....
Once upon a time a well known European SPL champion had problems with a head unit cutting out due to low voltage whilst 'burping' his system, (comp rules dictate single battery & engine not running), so he tried a 1 farad cap wired as the pic above, head unit no longer cut out....Success....(competitor known as dumdum or Adam who frequents TA on a regular basis)....

I have since ran a power cap on my Becker head unit, which would show signs of voltage drop, (via a dimming display), at high volume levels....Since the fitting of the power cap the dimming display has ceased, I have also detected a slight improvement in the perceived sound quality at higher volume levels....It could be argued the Pre-Out voltage has benefited from the addition of the power cap, as yet I haven't thoroughly tested it, its only IMO....

Never. For a car audio system anyway. There used in an AC circuit to maintain p.d when it switches current flow.

See above....