ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pothole fooked my alloy, help

don't
what a great start to the new year

My alloy was refurbished 2 weeks ago, Friday I went to Braintree in the rain to get a coat for the other half, on the way back it was dark and raining

Hit a big pothole(with the passenger front wheel) and it sounded like a nice inpact with the alloy rather than tyre, it drove fine and couldn't see any damage to tyre or alloy at the time

got home and the tyre was down a bit, new years day, totally flat

Took the tyre off, loads of grip, back of the alloy is no longer 100% round, I pumped it up and could see air bubbles escaping, took the wheel to a garage and they said the tyre and the alloy are screwed

alloys are 17" allesio Monza's, need to either find somewhere who can order me a replacement, or someone who can fix it maybe

going to speak to the council about it as its a fair size pothole

don't
IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

106 GTi
They should send you out a claim form, they should alos then mend the hole to. You already have the pictures as evidence which helps.

don't
soo dangerous, its a 60mph road, very busy aswell

cyclists were using the road and had to swerve around it, if a cyclist hits that then they will fall off or wobble and probably fall infront of a car

Vee dub
Yeah it looks one heck of a pothole.. i'd get a letter/phone call on the go Dave asap, looks really dangerous!

As father and son....
i work for the council by proxy if you will, i work at a University and as such were partly funded by the council. 4 words of warning

blood
from
a
stone

You've got a strong case though as previously mentioned, just fight tooth and nail for it, nothing more satisfying than making these f*****s cave in trust me :)

don't
hmmmm so far no luck finding anywhere who can order me one in

Will ring some places later to see if it can be repaired but i'd prefer a new alloy and tyre off the council :)

pothole is reported, so i'll ring tomorrow for a claim form and to again report it with my own name this time

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Good idea about the reporting it in a different name! haha nice style!

DO NOT SETTLE FOR A REPAIRED WHEEL. Its a new wheel dave and if a new one cannot be sourced - then its a set of wheels + tyres. That tyre could be fucked mate.

don't
those pics are from a digital camera, are they not good enough???

surely they can't get out of it just because of that, I know the police can but a crappy council

That would mean another 25 mile drive there, a camera, more jumping in and out of that sodding road, hmmmmmmmmm i'll see what they say when I ring them tomorrow

DAVE_RSi said:
those pics are from a digital camera, are they not good enough???

surely they can't get out of it just because of that, I know the police can but a crappy council

That would mean another 25 mile drive there, a camera, more jumping in and out of that sodding road, hmmmmmmmmm i'll see what they say when I ring them tomorrow

they can get out of it without stills - reason... they can argue that the digitalphotos have been rendered/altered.

same as if you have an accident - digital pics can be thrown out as unreliable evidence.

Its the council... they will try anything!!!

don't
fook, got one call back

can't get hold of anything in that size for 2 months minimum

Not impressed at all

going to try more places but its not looking good

going to have fun if I need to get a whole new set of alloys off the council

I did actually fancy some nice 16s but I wouldn't want to be paying for them

don't
well, quote of £130 including delivery, take up to 7 days, not bad, place called ultimate velocity

no tyre though

or one place will repair it for £50, but i'd need to pay postage there and back so I think i'm going to ring the £130 place and check all details and go with them

don't
did you have photo's of the damage, and the hole,

did you send in a claim form?? ever get a reply, or just got nothing?

don't
hmmmm just gets worse

the council are not responsible for that area anymore,

The highways agency took it over last year, just rang them asking for claim form, it was reported to braintree council so i guess the highway people can just claim they didn't know about it, typical

getting a claim form and i'll see how things go but it looks like i'm £200 out of pocket

don't
bugger bugger bugger

rang the place that said they thought they could get one, they rang the supplier and they are on backorder, no date, could be 2 months to get them in

So I can either send it away to be repaired, no idea how good that fix would be, or I don't know, buy a whole set of 4 for £250 + postage

such a pain, + it'll take forever to claim off the Highway Agency

Stuffed

6/468 17poo
Where the hell was this Dave?i swear to god this region is awful for potholes i sank down one a little while ago and completely funked my tracking!!

don't
coggeshall road, towards braintree, was up there getting a sodding coat for the other half, was dark and raining on national limit road so didn't see the hole

counted as A120 still so its not the council, its highway agency

nowhere can get me one alloy, alessio have said they dont have any singles for at least 2 months

place in leicestershire will fix it for £40-50 they said, will cost me £10 to send it there 48 hr delivery, and then another £10 to get it back, then i'll probably need a new tyre when its back aswell

don't
bugger

http://www.abacotyres.co.uk/refurb.asp?cookiecheck=yes&

just found this

£29 to repair the bend

too late though, so i'm paying £40 now somewhere else, although not much difference as i'd still need to pay the delivery as i'm not free on a saturday to take it up there

+ a garage has now found a single alloy for me, fooking typical

going to get it repaired, and also buy a new one

then I'll have a spare lol

don't
Council wrote to me and said that they had referred it onto AmeyMouchel, they apparently look after the road for the Highways Agency

I just got this letter from them:

We have conducted a full investigation into the circumstances, we carry out an inspection once a week and did not highlight a pothole at your location. We believe that this pothole appeared following our inspection of the A120

Under the terms of our contract with the Highways Agency we are required to inspect the A120 once a week. Therefore we do not feel we are in a position to compensate you.

So now what can I do, question this inspection, find out the details and get proof they did it.
Or go back to the Highways Agency and say that AmeyMouchel are saying that my claim is with them now and try to get them to give compensation, very p!ssed off

Megane Mk4
We have conducted a full investigation into the circumstances, we carry out an inspection once a week and did not highlight a pothole at your location. We believe that this pothole appeared following our inspection of the A120

IMG_0055.jpg

That potholes been there AGES, that isn't something thats appeared in a week, it's too deep!

They're trying to foook you out of paying Dave, I'd have a nice word with a solicitor (try citizens advice for that) if they send them a nice letter about it, it might persuede them to cough up... If it doesn't go visit a proper law firm and start chasing it. 1 week my ass!

Keep all receipts too (including tracking work etc.) ;)

6/468 17poo
bloody hell uv even got pictures ffs!!there taking it a bit far arent they!!

think i saw ya the other day with the personalised number plate i believe!

Ryan

don't
probably me, legal plate on the rear, not quite soo legal front

small moody b@stard driving

I'm going to ring and just see what he says first

I mean the A120 is huge, so they are easily going to miss potholes, so how can they get out of paying by just saying that didn't see it or that it must have appeared within 2 days of them checking the road, surely that isn't a good enough excuse as otherwise your only covered 1 day in every 7 and you need to hit the pothole on the day that they check the road

if I don't get anywhere with them I'll be going back to the Highways Agency and I'll just say that the claim is now back with them

Mazda MX5 1.8
the state of the roads these days is completly out of control!

all our council does is temporary fixes.
the most recent one they have made a trench sorta bump across the road into a friggin mountain! 2 weeks on the "fix" is already starting crumble

i feel like writing the council a letter with pictures of all the shitty bits of road that need re-surfacing but i know they will do bugger all about it. afterall they just want to meet their stats and that means quantity not quality!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
phone Essex County Council in chelmsford and ask to be put throught to the mid area office - i do know the persons name but dont wana post that here.

i work for highways and knows these things

sorry dont know the mid area office number off the top of my head, they deal with pot holes and making a claim

don't
I spoke to braintree council first and they said that they don't look after the road, the highways agency are in charge of it so I had to try to claim with them

they then passed the claim onto this other firm who are meant to look after it for them etc etc

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
DAVE_RSi said:
I spoke to braintree council first and they said that they don't look after the road, the highways agency are in charge of it so I had to try to claim with them

they then passed the claim onto this other firm who are meant to look after it for them etc etc

ignore all that - i dont know the switch board number but phone Ecc and ask to be put through to mid area office -

http://www.essexcc.gov.uk/vip8/ecc/ECCWebsite/dis/gui.jsp?channelOid=16246&guideOid=63418

then tell them you wana speak to someone about a pot hole and then you can submit a claim

don't
ok I'll give them a try tomorrow, hopefully its not too late to claim seeing as it happened at the start of January

will have to see, they'll prob just send me a nice claim form to fill in, great fun