ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Potentially Dangerous

182 (Conversion)
Hey guys, had my 182 for a few weeks now so I've started to push it a little more. Thing is the front wheels rub like a biatch somewhere, you don't even need to load it up in the corner that much.

Seems pretty useless having a fast car if you can't find the limit of grip due to the wheel rubbing.

I've had the wheels off and there's nowhere obvious where they're rubbing inside. They have spacers too. I can only conclude they must be rubbing on the lip of the arch.

Is this a common problem? How can I get it fixed? I want to be able to corner hard and find the level, not crap myself thinking the tyre's about to blow-out.

Any help appreciated.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Take the spacers off?

And looking at your prvious threads you have none standard wheels, look like 17"s to?

Fiesta RS Turbo & Pug 206
*sigh*

Hey ive just put this big exhaust on. and its really loud. any idea wht it could be?

:lolup:
When i go to bed its dark , but when i wake up its light , what could that be :rasp:

E90
Big wheels are for faggots.

Big wheels for show, small wheels for go, You need 15 inch Turbines imho.

182 (Conversion)
They're 16 inch on FK Coilovers, not 17 inch, if you can't help piss off I'm not after criticism. ;)

Not that it's relevant to rubbing (sounds more like you're trying to get in on uncalled for ripping) but it's not just the engine, it's the beam, brakes, interior, hubs, loom and all other bits.

I didn't put the wheels on, I didn't set the suspension up.

All my previous cars have ran on 15 inch - the last set a very expensive set of Volks that were very light.

Last edited:
find out the et of the wheel, the 182 ran an et45 so even putting on wheels that are et37 (commonly sold for the clio, aftermarket) then this would push the wheel 8mm further out towards the lip of the arch, then if you've also added spacers, they'll be even further out.

et37's add 16mm to the track of 182

all the above is assuming the wheel width is the same, if you've gone for a wider/narrower wheel then it changes too

Chris

182 (Conversion)
OK cool thanks guys, I'll take them off and have another go.

Do the spacers add anything to grip though? Why would the previous owner have put them on?

1.4 N Reg Champs
the spacers *may* of been added for a wider track but sounds unlikely, the spacers were probably added for aestetic purposes, possibly because the former owner thought the wheels sat too far into the archs, either that OR, they scrubbed on the inside before the spacers were added, because the wheels are the incorrect offset! take them off and see how you get on.

182 (Conversion)
Bit of a minefield this atm. Wheels are aftermarket with 15mm spacers on, lowered on coilovers. As it's a conversion I'm not 100% on the other bits such as the front hubs.

I've been reading up on these spacers, hubcentric seem to be essential. But I can't find any clear info on what the difference is. When I took the wheel off before the spacer still sat on the hub (didn't just slide off, if that makes sense). Went to remove it but I'll need shorter wheel nuts now.

They don't look massively like they're buldging out the rim though.

3668045818_e99638c2b1.jpg

ValverInBits
hubcentric are essential. They mount on the centre-bore of the hub, then the wheel mounts on the centre bore of the spacer.
if you don't have the centre bore, then the wheel will bolt on just off centre and VIBRATE really badly. It's a wonder they are allowed to be sold tbh.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
wind the coils upa bit? i know that sound like the opposite from what every one does (most seem to put them on the last thread coz it looks wikid innit). but perhaps its a bit too low for drive ability. although i'm sure some one will say take the arch lines out coz if its not rubbing its not low enough or something to that effect.
could find that they have bodged normal 172/182 stuff to fit the 182 cup as they have different clearances apparently and suspension parts and there arent as many options for them.
also i'm not one for really slaggin mods, but those light disturb me, makes it look like a fiesta almost.